Apple Watch

AVT

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.apple.com/watch/

35831qq.png

Apple just announced it's long-rumored smartwatch. There's definitely some pretty cool features here. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
My thoughts? If Jony Ive thinks that Switzerland is in trouble he's severely delusional.

I like it, but it looks too fat for my taste.. LOL WTFBBQSAUCE!! HAHAH it's not too bad a price for what you can do with it....but it's a new product from them, so I'll probably wait til they iron out any unforeseen issues that may arise, and wait for the next gen... ;)

Not my thing, to be honest, but I've never been a watch person either. I can see how it could be a really useful (or convenient at least) gadget for those that wear them though.

Now my dumb question is, since the iPhone is required (which makes sense since it seems the phone does most of the processing workload), does it have to be in your pocket for the watch to function? (outside of just telling the time and other basic stuff) So if you're jogging, do you need the phone with you for the watch to take vitals/plan routes/etc? Likewise, if you pull up to a convenience store to grab a soda (and use the NFC payment system), for example, can you just leave your phone in the car or does it need to be on you?

It seems that this would be infinitely more useful if you could use it without the presence of the iPhone at all times. I can understand why they went the route they did though as battery life is probably a major concern for these types of gadgets.

My thoughts? If Jony Ive thinks that Switzerland is in trouble he's severely delusional.

LG has had their G Watch cut to $180USD ($50 off) effective immediately until September 23rd

Competition is a good thing.

So if you're jogging, do you need the phone with you for the watch to take vitals/plan routes/etc? Likewise, if you pull up to a convenience store to grab a soda (and use the NFC payment system), for example, can you just leave your phone in the car or does it need to be on you?
For planning routes, I believe you probably would, yes. It has no GPS, so it can't display your location relative to any route it could display anyway. The watch itself has an accelerometer, which can be used as a pedometer in a pinch, but it's not quite a substitute for the real thing.

As for payments, an NFC chip is apparently embedded within the watch, so you may not need the phone for Apple Pay. That said, Apple Pay and Touch ID seem to be coupled to some extent, and the watch itself doesn't seem to support Touch ID. It's possible that Apple could use enough biometrics to verify the user without Touch ID, though.

I'm intrigued by the sports/health/fitness aspects of the watch. Otherwise, I haven't worn a watch in a very long time.

I was really excited and totally impressed with the part during the watch presentation where he was able to use it to display the lunar phases and the orientation of the planets in our solar system, based on that I'm ready to have them take my money.

Then reality set in and its just because I'm an astronomy/sci fi fanatic that those things really interested me and I have no desire to pay that much for the watch especially since I don't plan to buy an iPhone.

Im glad that they're pushing the envelope and trying new technology and even though I do wear a swiss army watch everyday I have never spent that much money on a watch and if I did, I could buy a hell of a great timepiece.

Other thoughts - I also do spend a lot of time running and I have at certain times looked at watches that can act as a pedometer and track my miles and possibly interface with my phone but its often times supplanted by actually having my phone with me in a spibelt because I'm also using it to stream music off google.

I honestly don't know what to think. I'm close to being on the wrong side of 40. Maybe the cool young kids can tell me why I should buy this.

The requirement that you must also have an iphone for it to work is a limiting factor. I could see using the Watch if it was more of a stand alone device, but I'm not buying a new iPhone just to use it. It's not a $350 Watch, it is a $650 extra widget for your phone (assuming you don't already have an iPhone but of course they are leveraging that people who buy this will also buy a new phone).

I have both iPhone and Android devices, but my Note 3 is my current device. I used my iPhone for years before I switched and the limitations of iOS won't let me move back just for the Watch.

It is cool, just not $350 cool.

Almost worthless except for the easy NFC payment system and somewhat neet looking fitness apps although limiting since its tied to your phone.

It is cool, just not $350 cool.

Almost worthless except for the easy NFC payment system and somewhat neet looking fitness apps although limiting since its tied to your phone.

Oh yes... holding your wrist to an NFC scanner would look SOOOO much better than holding up your phone. :p

LG G Watch R looks easily better. That looks so cheap for $350 it isnt even funny.

I honestly don't know what to think. I'm close to being on the wrong side of 40. Maybe the cool young kids can tell me why I should buy this.
Until the design is thinner and there are more biometric sensors, I don't think anyone should really try to convince you.

Watches are primarily fashion pieces, though, so if you like the way it looks on your wrist, then that's really all the justification you'd need to buy one. Just don't wait for anyone to tell you that you should, and probably ignore anyone who really spends much time trying.

It seems very limited to me and a lot of the features seem like stretches to justify it.

The drawing app, lunar phases, voice notes, etc. all just seem gimmicky and like they will get old after a few uses.

Watching the Johhny Ive intro with his super slo mo ultra cheesy voice was almost like a parody. Do they really think people are impressed by that tone?

I hope Jobs is doing cartwheels in his grave - this is one ugly, unusable, badly conceived, designed and executed product. Its almost hilarious just how bad it is, and they're going to charge top dollar for it.

I dunno, this seems to be Apple's Google Glass: cool tech, gimmicky, doesn't radically improve productivity, will probably draw quite a bit of sales and attention. Time will tell.

Watching the Johhny Ive intro with his super slo mo ultra cheesy voice was almost like a parody. Do they really think people are impressed by that tone?

I hope Jobs is doing cartwheels in his grave - this is one ugly, unusable, badly conceived, designed and executed product. Its almost hilarious just how bad it is, and they're going to charge top dollar for it.

I can hear Steve now... "This looks like ****".

I'm intrigued by the sports/health/fitness aspects of the watch. Otherwise, I haven't worn a watch in a very long time.

Yeah, me too. Haven't found a fitness tracker that I like yet. This might be it.

Yeah, me too. Haven't found a fitness tracker that I like yet. This might be it.

I use a Suunto Ambit 2, works wonders once you get around the slight learning curve of adding programs for different types of workouts/sports.

People are used to short battery life with a phone, but not with a watch. I don't think people will put up with having to recharge a watch every night when the defacto standard is years. In fact, I believe that battery life (or long mechanical life) is the primary reason why watches haven't gone away other than for jewelry.

I'm still looking at the Pebble Steel instead. I like that if I move away from the iPhone I can still use the Pebble Steel. Where as the Apple Watch and the Motorola 360 both lock me into either an iPhone or a Droid.

I like the color screen, I like some of the features of the Apple Watch, but I also like some of the features of the Samsung and Motorola watches as well, but I don't like being locked into a single platform.

I'm intrigued by the fitness features and I like the looks. I'll wait for reviews though, I may wait until Gen2 comes out. I don't see this as a "must have," but I do plan to upgrade to the iPhone 6 ASAP.

You shouldn't. Buy THIS instead.

That's a bigger piece of shit than this. And that piece of shit has an ancient SoC and confirmed bad battery life hahaha... The Apple Watch may still have not horrible battery life.

That's a bigger piece of shit than this. And that piece of shit has an ancient SoC and confirmed bad battery life hahaha... The Apple Watch may still have not horrible battery life.

They're all pieces of shit in reality, we don't need smart watches with garbage battery life and the ability to check a text on our wrists. Who the fuck asked for this anyway? What happened to taking your phone out, it takes 2 seconds.

macrumors is reporting a single day, as far as they know. I'm skipping the first gen.

They're all pieces of shit in reality, we don't need smart watches with garbage battery life and the ability to check a text on our wrists. Who the fuck asked for this anyway? What happened to taking your phone out, it takes 2 seconds.

First generation products often receive resistance from people who lack vision. I am looking forward to it.

I'm not buying it because I like my automatic watches. They are jewelry and I'm ok with that.

First generation products often receive resistance from people who lack vision. I am looking forward to it.

I'm not buying it because I like my automatic watches. They are jewelry and I'm ok with that.

It's pretty black/white, your comment. Just because I do not see a purpose of a few-hour-capable watch that basically only tells you what's going on in your phone (in your pocket, by the way, and it NEEDS to be in your pocket for the watch to work, otherwise rendering it useless), doesn't mean that I don't lack vision. In fact, it's quite the opposite (I design and create things not only digitally, but with my hands. Things that take MONTHS to make, from complete scratch -- no point in going into details here, it's all moot anyway).

I look forward to when these are the hot thing to have. Right now, they're a gimmick at best, and that's all I was getting at, albeit in a different manner than was necessary.

It's pretty black/white, your comment. Just because I do not see a purpose of a few-hour-capable watch that basically only tells you what's going on in your phone (in your pocket, by the way, and it NEEDS to be in your pocket for the watch to work, otherwise rendering it useless), doesn't mean that I don't lack vision. In fact, it's quite the opposite (I design and create things not only digitally, but with my hands. Things that take MONTHS to make, from complete scratch -- no point in going into details here, it's all moot anyway).

I look forward to when these are the hot thing to have. Right now, they're a gimmick at best, and that's all I was getting at, albeit in a different manner than was necessary.

In three sentences you used "shit", "garbage" and "fuck" in reference to the product. I say my statement on certain people lacking vision is appropriate. EDIT. In two sentences.

No need to prove your visionary status. I'm sure you have vision, just not with this product.

Back