Apple Watch vs Liquid Nitrogen

Something tells me he could have achieved similar results by simply hitting the watch with a big hammer, first shot would be a glancing blow second shot would crush the rest that's left over. Pretty big waste of a liquid nitrogen.

Why even need the liquid nitrogen when you're going to smash it with a hammer anyway? Also aren't we over the idea of breaking expensive electronics yet?

Liquid nitrogen tend to make things much more brittle, hence it makes it easier to 'smash' something into pieces rather than just smashed into a mangled mess.

Also liquid nitrogen is dirt cheap (cheaper than milk in some areas).

Also I am pretty sure Apples appreciates all of the free publicity it is getting. The more people bash Apple products (figuratively, or in this case, literally) just makes them more and more well known.

every time he puts a video up destroying an apple gadget, he makes enough money to get a few more replacements.

Liquid nitrogen tend to make things much more brittle, hence it makes it easier to 'smash' something into pieces rather than just smashed into a mangled mess.

Also liquid nitrogen is dirt cheap (cheaper than milk in some areas).

I'm pretty sure most materials that are already solid at room temperature don't end up that much more brittle under liquid nitrogen. There may be a few exceptions but its not like you can drop a coin into LN2 then hit it with a hammer and expect it to shatter.

The well-known shatter effect is best known with flowers and fruit - organics with water in them. Oh and the T-1000.

I might expect that silicone watch band to fracture when at cryogenic temperature but the rest of the watch would have broken up when hit by a sledge hammer at either temperature.

I have only seen 1 person wear the watch since it's release. A passenger on the train while I was going to work. Other than that, I haven't seen anyone else own one. I wonder how it's selling over all.

I'm pretty sure most materials that are already solid at room temperature don't end up that much more brittle under liquid nitrogen. There may be a few exceptions but its not like you can drop a coin into LN2 then hit it with a hammer and expect it to shatter.

You are totally wrong on that point. Many steels have a ductile-brittle transition temperature just below room temperature, as it happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductility#Ductile.E2.80.93brittle_transition_temperature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_ship#Hull_cracks

The well-known shatter effect is best known with flowers and fruit - organics with water in them. Oh and the T-1000.

I might expect that silicone watch band to fracture when at cryogenic temperature but the rest of the watch would have broken up when hit by a sledge hammer at either temperature.

You cannot be any more wrong with this statement. Most solids you come into contact with become very brittle at extremely low temperatures.

Am I the only one that cringed at seeing them breaking bricks near a sliding glass door? I must be getting old. I would have yelled at my kid to do it in the middle of the lawn so Dad could watch :)

True, however probably the only time when this really came into play is the first whack where he barely grazed it, after that I'm sure the watch part warmed up enough such that it wasn't very brittle. I was expecting the cheap ass watch band to shatter though.

Also I am pretty sure Apples appreciates all of the free publicity it is getting. The more people bash Apple products (figuratively, or in this case, literally) just makes them more and more well known.

I know who Apple is before the video, as I speculate that anybody watching the video already does. This is for entertainment purposes only. You should see all the Apple fanboys supporting Android devices if your statement was true.

There are many qualifiers of solid like brittle and ductile. Most metals move away from being ductile towards becoming brittle as they get colder.

The more you know.

Are you? What makes you so "sure"? What do you know about materials science?

Metals like aluminum, gold, silver, and copper have a FCC (face-centred cubic) crystal structure and as such do not have a ductile-brittle temp threshold. Some steel alloys do, like SAE400, but 200 and 300 series steel also has the FCC structure and thus is not subject to a ductle-brittle threshold.

Back