Apple Watch 2 Already In The Works

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you were one of the millions of people that lined up to buy an Apple Watch, I have bad news for you. :(

Two months after the initial launch of the Apple Watch, and only a day following the device’s debut at Apple Stores, sources have revealed Apple’s considerations for the 2016 release of a second-generation model.

Not sure what would be the bad or unexpected news here. Particularly with a new and immature product Apple was going to rev it quickly.

Apple revs all of their actively supported products every year so this is hardly a surprise ... nobody expected the Apple Watch to be another Apple TV (hobby project)

And the Apple Sheep will forgive Apple and line right back up like good little sheep.

The most interesting thing is that they think there's a market for watches that are between 1000 and 10,000.

If I got one of these, it'd be after they incorporated the sleep stuff and battery. As it is, this is adequate for a watch, but I kinda feel like for this much money it should completely replace a Fitbit, which means sleep tracking, though I've never owned one and I never wear a watch at night. Then again, I rarely wear a watch at all.

My gut says it's 3-4 years before they get these straightened out.

If I was Apple, I'd offer h/w upgrades for the gold watches (assuming form factor doesn't change). They might sell more of them, and clearly those have a huge profit margin. Besides, they could probably charge as much for an upgrade as a cheap iWatch, which has a healthy margin too.

I'm one of the very few people out there who still wears a watch. I've had the Apple Watch for about two weeks now. I bought it at first just because I was curious as to what they had done with it.

Yesterday I put the apple watch aside and put on one of my normal watches, and by the end of the day, the normal watch had gone back into the drawer and I probably won't be wearing it again. Once you have one of these smart watches, you start to get used to some of the conveniences it offers, and it's very difficult to go back. Best analogy I can use is going from a flip phone to a smartphone. It's like night and day, and when you've made the switch it's tough to go back. The only criticism I have is that it is far to dependent on the iPhone, but they will be changing that with the latest software in the fall.

One good thing about anything Apple related is that they have excellent resale value, as long as you don't hold on to it for more than a year or so, which suits me just fine :)

I have been using an Apple Watch for about a week now. I have it through the place I work as I am in iOS development.

I like it - but not sure I'd pay to buy my own just yet. It's really more of an extension of your phone. However, it's really convenient. I'm sure the more I use it, the more I will get used to it.

I also used a few Android Wear devices when they came out. Not trying to be biased, but I think the Apple Watch delivered a better experience out of the box. The software is more robust, battery life is better (I'm getting about 2 days of wear without having to charge the Apple Watch - wearing it for about 12 hours a day. Same usage patterns with the Android Wear devices except I got about 10-12 hours before needing to recharge).

Anyway, not trying to be all Apple vs Android. I'm a mercenary and will support any platform that makes me money. Hell, I'd even support a Blackberry watch if I thought people would be our software :)

I think the wearable devices are interesting but haven't laid out the cash for a personal one just yet. They are getting closer to making me want one.

Most companies are always working on the next version, usually before the current one is even released. It takes quite a bit of development to do so I really don't think this is all that shocking.

The consumer electronics industry really gets flak for development cycles where as most other industries do it faster and no one cares.

In the news today - Apple is found to be AT FAULT for working in a new product to replace an existing product!

I'll be excited to see the people who don't buy Apple products rushing to grab their pitchforks, torches, tar, and feathers so they can defend the people that do buy Apple products who don't seem to care overly much one way or the other.

In the news today - Apple is found to be AT FAULT for working in a new product to replace an existing product!

I'll be excited to see the people who don't buy Apple products rushing to grab their pitchforks, torches, tar, and feathers so they can defend the people that do buy Apple products who don't seem to care overly much one way or the other.

Exactly, you don't see other industries releasing a new product every year ... I mean we certainly don't see this in shoes or cars (oops ... never mind :eek: ) ... wait, I know some companies that didn't release new and shiny products every year (what is this Blackberry and Nokia and why can't I find any products for them, just articles on their financial demise :p )

Welcome to the consumer electronics industry.

When a product is released, there is already at least 1, usually 2, generation of devices in development for release 1 and 2 years later...for any major company.

Apple is always faulted for this since they have a long history of releasing and selling products that lack basic standard features on purpose.

Apple release cycle (EVERY PRODUCT):

1) Release sub-par product lacking basic feature
2) Idiot on stage claims it is "revolutionary", stealing ideas without crediting/compensating actual inventer
3) Charge a fortune for it
4) Release 2nd Gen. sub-par prodcut with the basic feature omitted from 1st Gen.
5) Idiot on stage claims it is "revolutionary", stealing ideas without crediting/compensating actual inventer
6) Charge a fortune for it

Although I agree with the "idiot on stage claims it is revolutionary" statement, the product design cycle at Apple targeting known/small incremental technology additions is a very safe (read: smart) business practice of overall lower failure rates, improved yields, and as a result, more margins.

Apple's profit margins prove their strategy could be considered the correct one...

Apple is always faulted for this since they have a long history of releasing and selling products that lack basic standard features on purpose.

Apple release cycle (EVERY PRODUCT):

1) Release sub-par product lacking basic feature
2) Idiot on stage claims it is "revolutionary", stealing ideas without crediting/compensating actual inventer
3) Charge a fortune for it
4) Release 2nd Gen. sub-par prodcut with the basic feature omitted from 1st Gen.
5) Idiot on stage claims it is "revolutionary", stealing ideas without crediting/compensating actual inventer
6) Charge a fortune for it

Apparently they're doing something right if they've got a ton of money and so many people fired up with jealousy and/or meaningless controversy. :D

Designed for obsolescence to force you into upgrading more frequently.

Yes, I too would like to see a watch designed with user upgradable parts inside. I mean really, there should be a socketed CPU, at least two DIMM slots, mSATA SSD, and an expansion slot that allows me to add a discrete GPU of my choosing. The nerve of Apple for making something smaller than every non-upgradable phone that's "designed for obsolescence" not have the same flexibility as a desktop PC!

Those darned Apple kids had better get off my lawn or I'll pelt them with ISA expansion cards covered in pointy bits to make them RUE THE DAY they thought they could do such a thing to a bunch of people I've never met!

Back