Apple Taps A24 to Produce Slate of Films

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In order to boost its programming repertoire and Hollywood cred, Apple has signed a deal with indie studio A24 for multiple original films. A24 is known for its “edgy, auteur-driven projects,” which include the Oscar-winning “Moonlight,” slow-burn horror “The Witch,” and sci-fi drama “Ex Machina.” Apple’s streaming service is said to debut in the first half of next year.

The deal is one of Apple’s first big film pacts. The company has been more active in the television space, and has budgeted approximately $1 billion to date on their initial series development slate. Apple has previously announced that it will make a morning show drama with Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston an adaptation of the book “Defending Jacob” starring and executive produced by Chris Evans, and a revival of the Spielberg-produced “Amazing Stories” anthology franchise.

I saw the Witch and Ex Machina. Both were pretty decent flicks for their genre. Still... not enough to get me to buy into the ecosystem, but should be a boon for those already into Apple.

So that means more laptops and tablets with Apple logos on them. We know where the future belongs Apple.

mrk0d.jpg

I saw the Witch and Ex Machina. Both were pretty decent flicks for their genre. Still... not enough to get me to buy into the ecosystem, but should be a boon for those already into Apple.

As a primarily Apple user, I'd *really* prefer they didn't. Between Netflix, Amazon, Disney's upcoming, YouTube Red and a handful of local specific products it's becoming a complete mess of "just $10 more a month". Makes justifying 'backups' much easier.

At this point I pay for Netflix (which I don't use, my mother spends half her life on it though) and a local sports channel (which is pretty awful TBH), I won't pay for anything else.

We need more robot chicks like the pic in the article; I'd buy that. :)

"Alexa, give me a Hummer..." "2wheel or 4 wheel drive?"

LOL.

Haven't seen The Witch but Ex Machine was pretty good and definitely refreshing to watch in comparison to many other movies that are being churned out these days (like superhero stuff). IDK how Apple will affect these but at least they have the cash to potentially fund something good.

I liked Ex Machina. I doubt I'll watch anything on Apple's service. I am not a fan of the new Apple TV (I don't have the 4k model) - the remote sucks.
I like the Roku devices much better. I think they have a more stream-lined interface and the rest of the family doesn't struggle with them. (We used to always lose the Apple remote - I used double-sided tape to stick a Tile tracker on it!)

daily reminder that objectively the greatest movies are no longer made. Dont worry though, what a time to be alive- you have 100 years of film to explore and appreciate. Sometime you might even need to visit a library or schedule a private viewing at a university, the payoff is excellent. Its not putting on a fedora, its reaching a point of deeper appreciation and detoxing your brain from the endless sequels and capeshit. Your girlfriend won't understand, but she isn't real anyways.

Back