Apple Support!

rflcptr

Supreme [H]ardness
My previous iPhone was sent on Monday via UPS to Apple for repair (overheated while charging off my desktop, most likely a battery issue of some sort, since the phone refused to turn on while away from the cable). The replacement shipped today, will be here tomorrow by 10:30 AM. Very quick, no hassle. Didn't expect things to go this quickly!

:)

impressive. If you lived near an apple store, could you take it directly to them and be done with same day?

impressive. If you lived near an apple store, could you take it directly to them and be done with same day?

Yeah and then some hipster techie wannabe can hold onto your hardware for a week, then tell you they cannot fix it... :mad:

/rant

Yeah and then some hipster techie wannabe can hold onto your hardware for a week, then tell you they cannot fix it... :mad:

/rant

I brought my iPhone in because there was a lot of dust under the screen and it was bugging me. Made an appointment, went in, was out with a new display in 15 minutes. Easy peasy

I live just outside of Tyler, TX, nearest Apple store is in Dallas, I believe. But yeah, I thought it would be Monday before I had anything in hand again.

This was the phone support guy's first recommendation, actually. But distance wasn't in my favor this week. Funny he has my first name, too. :p

Sigh...

Naturally, FedEx rings once, and is driving away when I open the door. "Requires signature, pick up after 5pm, all the way across town, LOL!"

you can leave a note addressed to the fedex delivery employee to leave your package at your door if you know you'll be home at the time (but are just afraid of not hearing the doorbell/being in the restroom etc.)

The apple store support is usually quite good and fast.

I've replaced my Nano at one nearby 7 or 8 times. No hassle, walk-in, replace, walk out. According to the techs there, the Nano was not designed to be worn in their armband holder for sports, such as running where it might get sweat on it. So stop doing that. *shrug*. They still always replaced it. So much for it and the Nike+ kit being a companion for tracking workouts.

I brought my iPhone in because there was a lot of dust under the screen and it was bugging me. Made an appointment, went in, was out with a new display in 15 minutes. Easy peasy

I have quite a bit of dust under my screen too... I thought they usually gave you a refurb phone instead of actually going to the trouble of swapping the display?

Display swap takes less time. Takes only about 10 minutes or so to swap a display if you do it right. Takes longer to transfer data from one device to another

Love my Apple support experiences.

EDIT - The first time I dealt with them was over the phone! I started up my Mac one morning and it wouldn't start up past the Apple screen. I was a complete Apple noob so I had no idea what to do. I called AppleCare (free the first year) and the guy (American!) on the other side was very nice and knowledgeable and walked me through the easy-as-pie Archive & Install process after doing tons of other things to try and get it up. He was patient and understanding and it was just a great experience. Oh yeah, and not a single moment spent on hold.

- First gen (jailbroken!! AND out of warranty) iPhone. Half the screen stopped responding to touch. Backed it up, made an appointment. Went in. I was out with a new (well, refurbed) iPhone first gen within 10-15 minutes.

- Macbook Pro optical drive wasn't burning discs. Brought it in. They said the swap would take a day or two. I got a call a few hours later saying it was ready. Picked it up and not only did they replace the disc drive, they replaced the keyboard and chassis free of charge!

- iPhone 3Gs screen was uneven (it dipped inward on one side and upward on the other). Brought it in. Swapped out the screen in minutes while I was browsing the store.

Only bad experience was my fault. Didn't buy AppleCare for my Macbook Pro. Optical drive stopped working again. Would cost me a bundle of change. So I skipped it and use an external for now. Really do wish I bought AppleCare. :(

EDIT: I've dealt with tech support for many companies. Computer companies like Dell and HP. ISPs like Verizon, Time Warner and Comcast. Telco services like AT&T and T-Mobile... I've dealt with them all, and I've never, ever, EVER had a great experience with them. I've never gotten off the phone with them in less than 20 minutes (more often than not it's been over and hour or two), I've never stayed on the line with a single rep who knew what he/she was talking about (Often I'd be transferred several times before getting an unacceptable or ultimately unhelpful response.) Never, until Apple's Genius Bar/AppleCare phone support. They really know how to treat their customers and know how to get things right the first time.

Last edited:
Display swap takes less time. Takes only about 10 minutes or so to swap a display if you do it right. Takes longer to transfer data from one device to another

They actually just activate it and send it on your way, it's up to you to make the backup and restore from it at home on your own time.

Back