Apple Sued Over iPhone iOS7 Upgrade

HardOCP News

[H] News
While I thought we'd see a class action suit over iOS 7 by now, it looks like this guy isn't waiting around for that.

Proving that new design has the ability to polarize people, a California man is taking Apple to court over its iOS7 iPhone and iPad operating system. Mark Menacher has filed a small-claims complaint against Apple's CEO Tim Cook in the Superior Court of California in San Diego because he wants iOS7 removed from all of his family's compatible devices.

He should have read the agreement.

He will be a Human Centipad shortly ... :(

Hell, it doesn't matter if iOS 7 is good / bad / evil, there is a damn lawsuit after every iOS launch. :(

I don't use anything Apple, but all the non-techy friends I have do, and they've all said the same thing after IOS7... Oh god it's slow, it runs like crap, why can't I go back?

Shame, perhaps I'll turn them into Android converts after all :)

After using iOS 7 for a few weeks...it sucks.

[L]imey;1040303077 said:
I don't use anything Apple, but all the non-techy friends I have do, and they've all said the same thing after IOS7... Oh god it's slow, it runs like crap, why can't I go back?

Our car club meets up for donuts every Saturday morning and all I've heard from everyone is complaints about iOS 7 BUT, I have no idea it was an "automatic" update, I thought you had to have your phone set to take auto updates.

[L]imey;1040303077 said:

Out of curiosity, what are they running it on? It runs perfectly fine on my wife's old 4s and her new 5s.

[L]imey;1040303077 said:
Android doesn't get nearly the negative attention with OS upgrades (even when there are bugs) because the latest version is only generally used by Nexus owners, those who buy unlocked phones from Google Play, and custom OS installers - all together accounting for a relatively small percentage of the total number of Android users. Everyone else stays at least 2-3 versions behind, only getting updates after the big bugs have been worked out.

Out of curiosity, what are they running it on? It runs perfectly fine on my wife's old 4s and her new 5s.

Runs good on my 4s as well. Disabled automatic update and parallax background and everything's running peachy.

Once in a while Minion Rush or anything with heavy graphics slows down but it's done that pre iOS7 too. Clearing the apps from your task manager takes care of that.

I also disabled "show music not on your phone". Never quite understood the need to have this enabled by default. Yes, I know I bought my music in iTunes and I know it's in iTunes waiting for me to transfer it to my phone when I need it, thank you very much. My daughters share iTunes account with me and I don't appreciate seeing all of their Disney songs populating my album list, lol.

as for the article, he was probably out looking for a reason to sue someone and get his 15 minutes of fame. It's not like iOS7 sneaked up on anyone. It's been talked about for months. Unlike upcoming iPhones, iOS development is not heavily shrouded in secrecy.

I think iOS 7 is alright.

My problem is that that once the update is downloaded you lose the space until you install it. You should be able to delete the update file and check a box to block updates. People say the iOS doesn't automatically download itself, but I've seen freshly reset iPads be halfway through the download process shortly after I erased them to default. I never even went into the software update part to even agree to download.

It runs fine on my 4S...so I'm not sure what people are crying about.

I think people just want to bitch about something all the time.

That being said, I won't load it on my wifes 4 because it would be a slow, shitty OS on a 4.

Our car club meets up for donuts every Saturday morning and all I've heard from everyone is complaints about iOS 7 BUT, I have no idea it was an "automatic" update, I thought you had to have your phone set to take auto updates.

I'd guess that most Apple phones are set to upgrade automatically, so the user has to understand the ramifications of auto upgrade, know about that their phones are set to do so and know how to change it.

Hell, it doesn't matter if iOS 7 is good / bad / evil, there is a damn lawsuit after every iOS launch. :(

Yeah, pretty lame... but you have admit, this this is the kind of sue-first culture Apple helped create.

Runs great on my iPhone 4s, and my kids 4s. My iPad only has one issue and that's iBooks keeps crashing when loading books. I think it might just be a bad one in my library. Other than that, I haven't had a single problem. Slow at first, but after a couple days everything works fine.

At least this guy is getting a lot of attention. Seems to be what he wanted.

Yeah, pretty lame... but you have admit, this this is the kind of sue-first culture Apple helped create.

Sue-first culture has been around in the US long before Apple became "hip". Remember the Ma Bell and Microsoft monopoly lawsuits and Netscape versus Microsoft and RIAA versus Napster?

Or you can just set your Apple devices to not auto-upgrade, as some folks have alluded to. My ipad is still running ios6 with no issues.

I have friends/co-workers that say their non-apple lightning cables dont charge anymore with the "accessory may not be supported error" they worked just fine pre-ios7.

This is a prime example as to why apple deserves to be hated.

Sue-first culture has been around in the US long before Apple became "hip". Remember the Ma Bell and Microsoft monopoly lawsuits and Netscape versus Microsoft and RIAA versus Napster?

Notice that I said, "helped create". They certainly aren't the first. It's just being taken to a new level. It used to be shock to discover someone break into your property and jump on your trampoline and break a bone only to sue. Now it's just "business as usual" to sue your ongoing partner. If the big boys can win big in suites, why can't we?

I don't even use my iPad 3 anymore now that it runs iOS 7.

I have friends/co-workers that say their non-apple lightning cables dont charge anymore with the "accessory may not be supported error" they worked just fine pre-ios7.

I have an iPhone 4 that I charge with a Dynex cable via USB and it doesn't display any such message now that iOS7 is on it. I know they blamed the charger for some exploding battery or fire thing that happened, maybe those kind of 3rd party accessories are banned? I don't know, but I don't think it's all 3rd party chargers that are affected.

So, iOS 7 = Windows 8 RT?

Looks like Apple is copying Microsoft again :)

I have an iPhone 4 that I charge with a Dynex cable via USB and it doesn't display any such message now that iOS7 is on it. I know they blamed the charger for some exploding battery or fire thing that happened, maybe those kind of 3rd party accessories are banned? I don't know, but I don't think it's all 3rd party chargers that are affected.

That only effects the lightning cables not certified by apple, so basically that only effects the people buying $3 lightning cables off ebay/amazon thinking they got a good deal.

As for article this was not a mandatory update but a choice, and one due to flooded servers took a few days to download for some. And money says that guy bitched to friends how he could not upgrade all his devices in the first couple hours of its release.

Or you can just set your Apple devices to not auto-upgrade, as some folks have alluded to. My ipad is still running ios6 with no issues.

Doesn't it download and thus take away storage space around 1gb? I'm not sure cause I am jailbroken so it blocks updates, but if I lost space because of it I'd be annoyed especially if I was on a 16gb phone.

That only effects the lightning cables not certified by apple, so basically that only effects the people buying $3 lightning cables off ebay/amazon thinking they got a good deal.

As someone that may be buying a few of those $3 cables from Amazon, what would the effects be? Non-supported charger stuff and can't charge? Not work in accessories (AVR's, etc)?

Most the "unsupported chargers" will charge anyhow. Some of the cheap ones only work one way on the i5's, flip it if doesn't work.

The Amazon Brand ones are really good, but they might not work with all covers. Works with the Otter.

It shouldn't have been automatic...as far as I know anyway. I did the manual update to 7, and have zero complaints really on my end.

Also what cars? :D

Just recently upgraded phones and so far iOS7 isn't that bad but it's got a lot of bugs. Does have some features that I like but they still have a ton of work to do.

"His biggest gripe is that the update was automatic, and that there is now no way of reverting back to iOS6. "Apple's disregard for customer preferences""

He must be new. Apple's customer's have no preferences.

What automatic update? My iPhone 5 is till on iOS6 and that is where it's going to stay until I'm forced to update.

Android doesn't get nearly the negative attention with OS upgrades (even when there are bugs) because the latest version is only generally used by Nexus owners, those who buy unlocked phones from Google Play, and custom OS installers - all together accounting for a relatively small percentage of the total number of Android users. Everyone else stays at least 2-3 versions behind, only getting updates after the big bugs have been worked out.

I really wish you could unlock all phones make your own os choice, and then relock them. Making it a slightly more secure process. For those who reemeber the bloat ware era could you imagine locked PCs.

i expected it as so, io7 was a very radical change for many technological Luddites.

apple missed a great time to introduce some sort of basic skinning.

I really wish you could unlock all phones make your own os choice, and then relock them. Making it a slightly more secure process. For those who reemeber the bloat ware era could you imagine locked PCs.
"Unlocked" in the context I was using it refers specifically to cell carrier choice. What you're referring to I guess would be more the ability to "root" and "unroot." While you'd still be in a rooted state after installing your choice of Android OS, all of the OS-level safeties should still be available to protect you from bad actors. Of course, the biggest problem with not continuing to upgrade is that Google makes an effort to increase security with each new OS version, so staying on one version may not be the best idea if there's an exploit available which is fixed with a subsequent release.

Bottom line: I've been Nexus 7'ing for 11 months now (upgraded last month to the 2013 with/LTE) and I've been very happy letting Google take care of my OS. The only serious bug I've had [second-hand] experience with along the way was early on with the new Nexus 7 where people (including a local friend) were having trouble with the touchscreen, and they fixed that pretty fast. Even with an unrooted device I can still make huge changes to the OS, and I use a heavily customized launcher which results in an experience very different from the stock interface.

The damn iphone commercials make it look like iOS7 has a very poor framerate. Is this for real? I saw that in a commercial and was like "yelch, is it really that choppy? Why the heck would they purposely make it look bad?" unless it was of course to avoid being sued into oblivion for false advertising.

It's hilarious that you say that like Apple is the only company that does that.

I have iOS 7 on my 4s, 5s, and iPad 3 and have no issues with it. I like the new features it adds, like double clicking the home button and bringing up the open apps.
Sliding a web page from the edge of the screen to either go back or forward.

"Unlocked" in the context I was using it refers specifically to cell carrier choice. What you're referring to I guess would be more the ability to "root" and "unroot." While you'd still be in a rooted state after installing your choice of Android OS, all of the OS-level safeties should still be available to protect you from bad actors. Of course, the biggest problem with not continuing to upgrade is that Google makes an effort to increase security with each new OS version, so staying on one version may not be the best idea if there's an exploit available which is fixed with a subsequent release.

It is actually a bit complex as the carrier also likes to add to the bloat. So to me unlocking and rooting are linked as I think the consumer should have the right to upgrade to the latest release OS. They should also be able to downgrade should it be needed.

Still in the end it is a mobile computer one should be allowed to legally and easily run the software of your choice on the device. As for the Nexus, I just dislike Googles' choice on storage/memory. Otherwise they would be my phone of choice.

I think the big problem here, is that Apple doesn't allow you to go back.

If you try iOS 7, you are stuck with iOS 7.

Back