Apple Stock Downgraded On iPhone 6, Watch Concerns

I compare Apple to Blizzard, they may not have the most innovative products but what they do, they do extremely well. I have repaired a few iPhones (3, 4s, 5c, 5s) for mostly Home buttons or someone dropped it in a toilet and, man are they built well! Same goes for their laptops and tablets, just amazing, the only other company that compares in my mind is Lenovo and even they can't touch Apple. Saying that, yes, they are bland. But as the poster above me alludes to, it's rock solid. I agree with all of your assessments of smartphones and although I would probably rather have an S5 or similar, at work we use iPhone's and I am 96% of the time happy. In fact, an app (Accuterra) saved my life the other day when I was lost in the woods chasing a cow I had shot. Shwew!

Most flagship phones nowadays by reputable company's are just as well built. Really it's that simple.

Most flagship phones nowadays by reputable company's are just as well built. Really it's that simple.

The danger here is that prices on flagship phones are getting contested. Look at Xiaomi's Mi4 and Oneplus One for example... the competition is only to get more intense, as fits and finish as well as specs will all be expected at an affordable price in the very near future.

sefRdZo.png

That's hilarious.

Exactly why I'm going back to Apple for the iPhone 6. I've had a iPhone 3GS, 4S, and 5 - all of which never failed on me and never caused any significant issues. I've had two android phones, the HTC Inspire 4G and my current Samsung Galaxy S4. Both of these phones had issues with random restarts, hard locks, signal pick-up failures, and just a couple days ago my Galaxy S4 completely died without reason. I also have a first generation Apple MacBook Air from 2008 which works flawlessly and still retains battery life better than any other laptop I've used for more than a couple years.

And I have a 5 year old Acer Laptop that I've traveled with to multiple countries that still works fine, including the battery. I also have a stack of 8 year old heavily used Dell laptops at the office. These were used by techs and sales people traveling weekly, yet they still work fine. They've been retired to emergency loaner status as they are too slow and lack enough memory to be useful. Some of the batteries have dies, but at least it's a 5 second easy swap if I needed a new one. I rarely replace a Windows desktop/laptop at the office due to a hardware problem, it's usually because the system is so old it's not worth upgrading.

As for phone, my S3 is over 2 year old and still holds a charge and runs fine. Only time I've ever have a problem is when I was running a buggy game, and that's a problem with the game, not the phone.

Last thought, why on earth are there no USB 3.0 supporting phones?

With the iPhone 5, Apple had a choice between going with their own proprietary Lightning connector or going with USB 3.0 Micro B. It was an easy decision for Apple, because the latter is one of the worst connectors in modern times; they are incredibly failure-prone, not reversible, usually rated for only 10,000 uses, and all too often wear out in a few months.

Apple's Lightning connector is extremely reliable and is reversible, which is a feature that makes consumers very happy. All the comments above by Apple haters who grudgingly admit their build quality is excellent? This is one of the prime examples of that.

USB Micro B is so bad that the non-Apple phone industry just finalized Type C, which is also reversible. Hopefully they'll improve the quality, too.

With the advent of larger disk sizes, fairly regularly? In our case we have many users with 32GB phones, they frequently take 120fps video "for fun mind you, but some for work" and would like to transfer everything off when they run out of space. USB 3.0 would definitely be nice.

And no, most major smart phones are "not" up to the build quality of Apple, I have never seen anything like it. They pack so much in so little space with no issues it's astounding. Plus, they use aluminium wherever possible, it's very nice.

And no, most major smart phones are "not" up to the build quality of Apple, I have never seen anything like it. They pack so much in so little space with no issues it's astounding. Plus, they use aluminium wherever possible, it's very nice.

It's that great quality aluminum build that resulted in all those people with bent iPhone 5 & 5s's

It seems like the iPhone users in my office seem to replace their phones more often than the Android users due to problems or damage. Could just be the marketing and sales people (mostly iPhones) are just more careless with their phone than the techs (mostly Android).

With the advent of larger disk sizes, fairly regularly?

Perhaps. And I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful, but I would imagine the vast majority of video shot on phones is rarely copied over a cable to a computer. Modern phones really are about being stand alone and/or cloud connected.

lmao... One day Apple people will wake up, and they will abandon them for something that makes sense. Apple hasn't been good since I was very, very young.

Hopefully.

Some of their stuff is good, and some is bad.. just like every company though.

That being said... pretty much all of their stuff is stupidly overpriced.

How often is the typical smartphone actually plugged into computer these days beyond charging purposes?

But when I have to plug it in it shouldn't take a while to transfer files, especially if a 128GB storage capacity is an option.

My Apple Macbook Pro with Retina display is the best laptop I've ever touched and I use to fix around 20 laptops a day at one point in my life.

Their products may lack most of the newest features but their build quality is very good.

Well, hopefully you never have to replace anything on your MacBook Pro then. That last time I had to replace a screen on an Apple MacBook, it was a nightmare.

Most of the other laptop mfgs had abandoned the horrible to work on design at least 5-7 years before that.

As for MACs being more reliable.. hah. The ones I have had the displeasure of using have almost always had problems.

1. We had a MAC when I was in grade school.. with an external HDD no less. That thing was always locking up, the HDD would just disappear and we would have to power cycle it to get it back.

2. Then when I was in college, they had a lab for the art students that had all MAC PROs in it. Almost all of them were always broken at the same time. The same went for the other lab that had all iMACs in it. Usually about 75% of them were always down.

I had to start many projects over from scratch because a lot of the time when it went to save file, it would either lock up or just decide it would erase my disk instead. Stupid pieces of trash is what they were.

3. Then came the time when I had to replace the screen on one... Worst laptop to work on in years.

4. Then I knew somebody that had a newer macbook. It was having issues with everything being super slow. After doing a bit of research, I found out that it had to do with file system corruption. That was a huge pain to find out exactly how to run the command to do a file system scan.

Sure they are ok to good when they work.. but from my experience with their computers, phones, and tablets, they can be a huge nightmare.

Oh yeah.. and when one of their phones or tablets messes up... After a few simple things, they want you to do a wipe to fix it.

What a horrible way to go about "fixing" things.

Well, hopefully you never have to replace anything on your MacBook Pro then. That last time I had to replace a screen on an Apple MacBook, it was a nightmare.

Most of the other laptop mfgs had abandoned the horrible to work on design at least 5-7 years before that.

As for MACs being more reliable.. hah. The ones I have had the displeasure of using have almost always had problems.

1. We had a MAC when I was in grade school.. with an external HDD no less. That thing was always locking up, the HDD would just disappear and we would have to power cycle it to get it back.

2. Then when I was in college, they had a lab for the art students that had all MAC PROs in it. Almost all of them were always broken at the same time. The same went for the other lab that had all iMACs in it. Usually about 75% of them were always down.

I had to start many projects over from scratch because a lot of the time when it went to save file, it would either lock up or just decide it would erase my disk instead. Stupid pieces of trash is what they were.

3. Then came the time when I had to replace the screen on one... Worst laptop to work on in years.

4. Then I knew somebody that had a newer macbook. It was having issues with everything being super slow. After doing a bit of research, I found out that it had to do with file system corruption. That was a huge pain to find out exactly how to run the command to do a file system scan.

Sure they are ok to good when they work.. but from my experience with their computers, phones, and tablets, they can be a huge nightmare.

Oh yeah.. and when one of their phones or tablets messes up... After a few simple things, they want you to do a wipe to fix it.

What a horrible way to go about "fixing" things.
replacing the retina screen on my 15" was a total nightmare...I walked into an apple store, showed the genius what I thought was a dead pixel that turned out to be a scratch, he asked me to be more careful when I close the lid, I went home.

came back the next day and picked it up.

but like I said, that evening without my retina was a total nightmare...and I'm not even kidding :)

The rest of your commentary sounds like it's from apple computers and software pre OSX, unless you're 20 years old. I get the impression that a lot of people spouting off about apple computers haven't even used them within the past few years so really have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the hardware quality of the unibodies or the software robustness and flexibility of OSX.

My Apple Macbook Pro with Retina display is the best laptop I've ever touched and I use to fix around 20 laptops a day at one point in my life.

Their products may lack most of the newest features but their build quality is very good.
Me too.

You should check out the UX302LA. The top spec one with raid 0 SSDs. Absolute beast for productivity users, mobile video/photo editing and travelling businessmen.

The danger here is that prices on flagship phones are getting contested. Look at Xiaomi's Mi4 and Oneplus One for example... the competition is only to get more intense, as fits and finish as well as specs will all be expected at an affordable price in the very near future.

This exactly.

Long term apple is bunk if they rely on the iphoon. Only point of difference will be apps long term, quality has been equalled many a time.

Partner has a launch SGS2, Korean built, hasn't skipped a beat and does everything she needs it to do. I advised to get that phone as it would be pretty future proof. Turned out to be a good call.

I'm very to getting a One+.. I like to tinker.

I feel that Android is the case where it's only as good as what you can make of it. Samsung devices that I have become superb after you get rid of the stock rom, but that's the problem. You need to do the troubleshooting and the bug fixing yourself to get the most out of it.

Apple's out of the box experience is superior, and that's what the average Joes want out of their devices. It leads to iSheeps vs Fandroids flame bait.

I can agree with this to a point.

I had the Samsung phones for a while, up to the S3, at the time messing around with my brother in laws iPhone I was thinking it seemed well made and worked well, needed a good deal of add on apps to make it what I would want, but over all it seemed solid and fluid, battery sucked balls though, and never been a fan of their GUI, but it was stable....Then I picked up the Nexus 5, and I was shocked. It was just so much better, well made, everything worked and was very fluid, was so different than what you get on a Galaxy with all the pre loaded crap, that I ended up removing or replacing with better apps anyway or a full custom ROM. I can now say the un-modded, Android OS is very nice, and I like it far, far better than any of the other versions I have seen for phones.

This is why I love Apple threads. I used to bash the Apple users but ever since getting an iPhone 3GS, I've been won over. Apple fandom used to annoy the heck out of me. Now, I notice in Apple threads after Apple threads that Android users have the biggest inferiority complex ever. They are even more obnoxious than any overzealous Apple fans will ever be.

I'll stick to my PC and ultrabook for computing work. iPhone, iPads, and AppleTV for my mobile entertainment. Surface Pro 3 or 4 is in the plans to replace my ultrabook and possibly iPad. However, one thing I'll not go near is any Android products. They always come up short in the features I'm looking for.

Been rocking a n5 for a year about, great device, i really don't feel the need for any other thing really.

I don't use the USB, i charge wireless i have a pad at home and at work on my desk

Me too.

You should check out the UX302LA. The top spec one with raid 0 SSDs. Absolute beast for productivity users, mobile video/photo editing and travelling businessmen.

This exactly.

Long term apple is bunk if they rely on the iphoon. Only point of difference will be apps long term, quality has been equalled many a time.

Partner has a launch SGS2, Korean built, hasn't skipped a beat and does everything she needs it to do. I advised to get that phone as it would be pretty future proof. Turned out to be a good call.

I'm very to getting a One+.. I like to tinker.

I'm not 100% sure i agree do to the walled nature of their apps. I'm an android user, i've never owned an iphone, but look at the iwallet or whatever tghe fuck it is everyone is trying to hate on. Everyone talks about google wallet etc etc. Well, i've never found a place that accepted google wallet NFC, or if i did, i didn't know about it. iwallet i know will work at starbucks and mcdonalds and wholefoods and target and opentable already. I'm pretty sure there will be clearly visible signs at more places adopt it. Its easy, one button clicking to pay. The point i'm getting at is, how many people even know android is capable nfc payments? I've never even see someone pay for something with an android device like that and i AM a techie. Your goign to have all these people using their system and it will be just like the original iphone, most people dont know what NFC is but they will go holy shit i can just press a button on my phone and pay? I dont know if i'm sayign this right but i think as long as apple keeps doing the partnering with businesses correctly and keeping a focus on ui design and makging sure people know what thier product is capable of they wont have any issues whatsoever. Hell when i was a kid i remember when blackberry allowed you to scan a boarding pass first. I was fucking blown away i thought it was the coolest thing ever. I dont even know if other phones had that ability first but when i saw that i wanted a blackberry. Their huge marketing value in that

I just can't get my head wrapped around $1000 for an iPhone.

A few bits of info people. A downgrade does not mean the stock has to go down, what it means is that someone or some company believes that the company is unlikely to meet earnings forecasts or other market metrics. This generally coincides with a downward trajectory of the stock price but not always. Often times companies that are downgraded with engage in stealth buy back programs to prop up their stock price. So just because the stock price went up does not mean that it has real market confidence either.

Also the POS NFC connections. Most point of sale machines have NFC capabilities, however it is the CC companies who don't allow their cards to be used with NFC phones or other devices. Everyone thinks that CC companies want a more secure system to lower fraud. In reality they could care less. Fraud results in about 5 billion in losses a year. CC usage fees bring in close to 50 billion a year. That's just the 3% or less charge merchants have to pay the CC companies in order for the CC companies to process the transactions. If more secure cards were used fraud would go down sure, but it is likely that merchants would demand a lower usage fee. So lets be generous and say the new payment technology cut down fraud 80%. That's 4 billion dollars! A lot of money sure, but what if the merchants demand a .5% cut in their fees to 2.5%. That's 8.33 billion in lost revenues. If you added back in the money resulting from less fraud they are still out 4.33 billion dollars. The CC companies could care less about the fraud. Only when they are generating more money for using the new tech will they switch over. Its not like the Google Wallet of or iPay will increase the spending people do.

Being a hater on the first post? Tsk... don't ever change, Steve.

The iWatch will sell, but the fact that you need iPhone will mean that it will stand on its own, and it won't threaten the 500 dollar entry mechanical watch market. Hodinkee has a great article on this.

A bit too early to give this downgrade tbh. I wonder what's the ulterior motive here.

Oh, good grief...can we please can the reflexive "hater" nonsense name calling every time someone says something the slightest bit critical about Apple? It is so...immature (haven't used that word in a *long* time...;)) You may think Apple is above criticism and that's fine, but you'd be well served to stop letting it show in public. It's unseemly.

Just remember: calling some one a "hater" is not likely in the slightest to a) shut them up, or b) inspire them to suddenly stop seeing the gigantic flaws in virtually everything Apple makes.

Oh, good grief...can we please can the reflexive "hater" nonsense name calling every time someone says something the slightest bit critical about Apple? It is so...immature (haven't used that word in a *long* time...;)) You may think Apple is above criticism and that's fine, but you'd be well served to stop letting it show in public. It's unseemly.

Just remember: calling some one a "hater" is not likely in the slightest to a) shut them up, or b) inspire them to suddenly stop seeing the gigantic flaws in virtually everything Apple makes.

Oh, that they are not, although we all deserve tongue-in-cheek from time to time, and aren't we trying to make Steve be more Steve?

TechLarry said:
I just can't get my head wrapped around $1000 for an iPhone.
But it really is $1000 when you considered the costs in apps, accessories, and you are looking close to $2000 the moment you factor in the monthly data plan costs...

but the whole point is that Apple does it better*

*less buggy, more consumer focused, "gets it right" the first time

everything they've done is take something and improve on the experience (iPod - not new, but "revolutionary". iPhones - better than the existing WinMo smartphone at the time)

but the whole point is that Apple does it better*

*less buggy, more consumer focused, "gets it right" the first time

everything they've done is take something and improve on the experience (iPod - not new, but "revolutionary". iPhones - better than the existing WinMo smartphone at the time)

But it really is $1000 when you considered the costs in apps, accessories, and you are looking close to $2000 the moment you factor in the monthly data plan costs...

well, you'll have to compare the same apps/accessories/data plan costs that your android phone uses

You can compare the Note 4 and iPhone 6+. Most likely the Note 4 starts at $299 down (same as Note 3 last year and iPhone 6+), but you get 32GB instead of 16GB....

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/iphone-6-plus-versus-the-competition/

Apple has had only a few significant product announcements, everything else is incremental. Things that change lifestyle/significant:

1. Ipod: Probably the single biggest change for me. I still carry a 160gb classic because I have 132 gb of music. Can you imagine the number of cd carriers this would require?? lol

2. Ipad: Large improvement over laptop, changed reading/browsing habits along with ability to use cellular data.

3. This was is tough but I'd say the Apple II+. I loved some Oregon Trail:)

I don't thing the watch is a game changer like that. I do think they need something more experiential. hell, I don't even wear a watch because time is right there on my phone. If they can integrate/combine phone/and watch capabilities, that is perhaps a better step.

I guess the main questions to answer is why does anyone really need a watch like this? I can't answer it myself so therefore it's not a buy for me. I think that is the real struggle with the watch.

replacing the retina screen on my 15" was a total nightmare...I walked into an apple store, showed the genius what I thought was a dead pixel that turned out to be a scratch, he asked me to be more careful when I close the lid, I went home.

came back the next day and picked it up.

but like I said, that evening without my retina was a total nightmare...and I'm not even kidding :)

The rest of your commentary sounds like it's from apple computers and software pre OSX, unless you're 20 years old. I get the impression that a lot of people spouting off about apple computers haven't even used them within the past few years so really have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the hardware quality of the unibodies or the software robustness and flexibility of OSX.

I was the tech that actually replaced the screen on the Macbook. It was some deal that a school had with Apple or something and I was tasked with replacing it.

The laptop that had file system corruption was running OSX.

The other stuff was older stuff, but was new-ish back when I was in college.

I laugh at the "software robustness and flexibility" comment. Have you even had to setup a wireless printer to work on Apple computers as well as Windows computers at the same time? They just work with Windows.. but getting them to work with the Apple computers is a nightmare. Last time I had to do that was a few years ago.. but it was OSX.

Maybe it has gotten better since then.. but even then, the Apple fans were touting their stuff as "it just works".. BWAHAHAHAHA.

That being said, I am not a fanboy of MS either. MS has some total crap that they put out - glaring bugs in their OS that go back years and they claim "it is working as designed".

Both Apple and MS do the same exact stupid stuff.

And "Apple hardware".. hahahaha. For their computers, it is just PC hardware running OSX.

Your printer setup issue is probably just due to a crappy driver. Have you ever used a Bonjour compatible printer? Easiest setup ever..

I hate on apple, Nexus 5 user here and for a lot of the specs this phone is a let down. But the flip side of the coin, I bet its going to get amazing battery life and that new A8 chip is probably gonna be pretty awesome, 2gb of RAM should have been standard though, esp for a 64 bit device. Looking forward to benchmarks/reviews Note 4 vs IP6+ will be quite interesting A8 64bit vs the 805 32bit

Your printer setup issue is probably just due to a crappy driver. Have you ever used a Bonjour compatible printer? Easiest setup ever..

Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice in what printer was used. If the company selling the printer says it is MAC compatible, it should work without having to go through a bunch of hoops and special configuration to get it to work.

Exactly why I'm going back to Apple for the iPhone 6. I've had a iPhone 3GS, 4S, and 5 - all of which never failed on me and never caused any significant issues. I've had two android phones, the HTC Inspire 4G and my current Samsung Galaxy S4. Both of these phones had issues with random restarts, hard locks, signal pick-up failures, and just a couple days ago my Galaxy S4 completely died without reason. I also have a first generation Apple MacBook Air from 2008 which works flawlessly and still retains battery life better than any other laptop I've used for more than a couple years.

From my experience, while Apple doesn't have the cutting edge on new technology; they definitely do perfect recently released features. And their build quality/reliability has always been the best in my book.

Build quality is why I've been an iphone user. They provide the features I need on an OS I find pleasing with uncompromising build quality and comfort. No other phone I've tested has felt as good in my hands as my iphone 4 and 5. That's the most important thing for me. If I don't like the feel I don't care how good it is I won't buy it.

Unfortunately the 5/s was imo the perfect size. I don't know what I'll do next time I upgrade. I'm sadly disappointed with the fact that even the "mini" offerings from other companies are larger than the current iphone 5. It is seriously the smallest quality smart phone on the market. I don't need or want a bigger phone but it looks like enough of the world is demanding phablets that I'll have no choice. Kind of reminds me of the auto industry in the 90's where everything even the compacts got supersized.

Build quality is why I've been an iphone user. They provide the features I need on an OS I find pleasing with uncompromising build quality and comfort. No other phone I've tested has felt as good in my hands as my iphone 4 and 5. That's the most important thing for me. If I don't like the feel I don't care how good it is I won't buy it.

Unfortunately the 5/s was imo the perfect size. I don't know what I'll do next time I upgrade. I'm sadly disappointed with the fact that even the "mini" offerings from other companies are larger than the current iphone 5. It is seriously the smallest quality smart phone on the market. I don't need or want a bigger phone but it looks like enough of the world is demanding phablets that I'll have no choice. Kind of reminds me of the auto industry in the 90's where everything even the compacts got supersized.

One thing that always gets me with iphones is that the build quality is amazing, it feels great in your hand...BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN ONE IN THE WILD WITHOUT SOME BULLSHIT HORRIBLE CASE AND SCRATCHED UP SCREEN PROTECTOR ON IT. Seriously.

My buddy is an apple fanboy and always says the device is so sexy, then slaps some horrible otterbox on the thing and it is now 4 inches thick.

What's the point of paying the extra $200 for build quality and them smearing it in shit.

I'm sitting in a room with 7 iPhone 5s owners who are all excited to replace their year broken old iphones with the 6. Two broken power buttons, 2 broken home buttons and almost all of them have a non functioning volume rocker or silence switch. Apple "build quality" is measured people who mistake something that feels solid as built well. Apple's marketing team has created an aura and everyone bought it hook line and sinker. When asked they Apple products how many people spout an old marketing slogan like "it just works". There you go.

Blown 89;1041086057Apple "build quality" is measured people who mistake something that feels solid as built well.[/QUOTE said:
ibrick.gif

iBrick. Feels solid. Thinner than most bricks. Elegant. I'd pay at least 500% more for it.

You forgot the MOST important point about "haters"

haters gotta hate.:p

I'm no phone expert. I had a Galaxy Captivate (s1) and am currently on a note II. And I plan on getting an iPhone 6+

Why: Because I won't have to worry about shit on it. Ill be able to pick it up, use it for what I want to use a phone for (calling, texting, calendar, email, web-browsing, taking a quick photo) with a good UI experience and hopefully no lag issues.

my note II finally got good when ATT decided to push 4.2.2 to it. Up until then it was a mess of laggy response times, and just in general a rough UI experience. Now that samsung has said they're going more proprietary with their UI in the future, I don't really see the point in buying another one. IT's also my understanding that the Nexus line of phones is going away, and google will instead build a standard that all phones should meet.

I bought a rMBP over the summer because my 4 year old dell had shit battery life (power was still there, but why do I need a super powered laptop?) I had been wanting to try the Mac os side of things for a while and finally had the means, so I bought a nicely spec'd used one. I fucking love the thing, it's easy to use, gets amazing battery life, and a screen that is just un-beatable. It's only ever locked up once, and then it came back to life without any long term flaws from a corrupt file. I like it so much that I Do all my school and work correspondence through it, just because it's so easy.

Bash apple all you want, but they make devices that are genuinely nice to interact with, even if they are behind on some of the most ground-breaking features. So what? if I have to wait a year or two for it, but it's completely flushed out and works every time, It's worth the wait.

Back