Apple "Spring Forward" Event

My company is probably the most old fashion on the entire S&P500, and even we have hdmi in every conference room.

It's 2015

Depends on your field, i guess. As a lawyer, I have yet to be to a classroom, board room or courtroom that has anything but VGA, and SOMETIMES DVI. That does mean I have to carry adapters for my Yoga 2 Pro (which only has a miniHDMI out), so the same would apply to the Macbook.

Depends on your field, i guess. As a lawyer, I have yet to be to a classroom, board room or courtroom that has anything but VGA, and SOMETIMES DVI. That does mean I have to carry adapters for my Yoga 2 Pro (which only has a miniHDMI out), so the same would apply to the Macbook.

True, but that same adapter is going to be required for any Mac going to VGA, and really, any Ultrabook to VGA

That's not so much the fault of the laptop, as it is the fault of the projector/firm/school for not running an HDMI cable at the same time they were running the VGA cable.

As for me thinking the retina screen is a gimmick, I recognize I'm in the minority there. I know the screen looks better, but the difference in appearance isn't worth the trade-off (to me) of price, battery life, and performance.

No matter the resolution set, the system is working harder to push the display. If you set it to the native resolution with scaling, you are getting a 1280x800 screen that looks nicer (and uses more processor, and more battery).
If you turn scaling off, you are getting a 2560x1600 screen that is ~4x harder to run, and with my terrible eyesight is impossible to read.

Meanwhile, the 13" MBA, I get a 1440x900 screen, and a longer battery life. As well as more ports, and a faster processor/larger SSD/RAM at the exact same price.

Like I said, it's a personal conclusion, but I always say people aren't thinking things all the way through usually.

True, but that same adapter is going to be required for any Mac going to VGA, and really, any Ultrabook to VGA

That's not so much the fault of the laptop, as it is the fault of the projector/firm/school for not running an HDMI cable at the same time they were running the VGA cable.

As for me thinking the retina screen is a gimmick, I recognize I'm in the minority there. I know the screen looks better, but the difference in appearance isn't worth the trade-off (to me) of price, battery life, and performance.

No matter the resolution set, the system is working harder to push the display. If you set it to the native resolution with scaling, you are getting a 1280x800 screen that looks nicer (and uses more processor, and more battery).
If you turn scaling off, you are getting a 2560x1600 screen that is ~4x harder to run, and with my terrible eyesight is impossible to read.

Meanwhile, the 13" MBA, I get a 1440x900 screen, and a longer battery life. As well as more ports, and a faster processor/larger SSD/RAM at the exact same price.

Like I said, it's a personal conclusion, but I always say people aren't thinking things all the way through usually.
Fair, re the adapter.

And I, for one, don't disagree with you re the screen resolution. I have a Yoga 2 Pro, and while I completely LOVE the laptop, there are some things about it that are not great. It does impact battery life, for one. Second, there are a ton of apps not written for HiDPI screens. Furthermore, there are some apps that are plagued with bad performance because of the higher res: Minecraft for one. Despite having an entirely sufficient CPU, (Core i7 4510U), with the attendant Intel HD4400 GPU, MC just crawls.
The same game on my wife's 1366X768 laptop runs fine, and on an older i5. That's not to say that the higher res doesn't look REALLY nice, but it's an office machine, like the new macbook, and so the extra resolution is not terribly useful in terms of the tradeoffs of performance and batter for image quality.

I mean, how nice does an office document need to look? 1080p would be sufficient at 13" (131dpi)

I mean, how nice does an office document need to look? 1080p would be sufficient at 13" (131dpi)
The difference between the Air and the Retina is the difference between the worst setting and the highest setting on a scanner or printer.

I moved to a retina specifically because of the clarity of text, not because I was concerned about high definition graphics. Smoother fonts translates into easier reading and longer sessions working with text; caring about those aspects is subjective but the differences are objective and not gimmicks.

Why would you want such a thing? VGA is one of the two ultimate video connectors. DP has limited bandwidth. VGA has limitless bandwidth.

Yes, VGA is perfect for 4K @ 60Hz. Limitless bandwidth.

Honestly people are getting seriously greedy these days if they think an Macbook Retina is too thick or a burden to carry lol. I am very keen to try this new one out though but I don't think the CPU is going to be anything amazing.

If you look at all of the ports that were taken out of the new Macbook just to make it thinner and lighter then something is going on there. Devices across the board are pushing to thinner and lighter constantly particularly with Apple. So it's not necessarily a burden but thin and light seems to be selling.

To me the new MacBook is about options. From super thin and light up to the "fat" Retina Pro. You pick what compromises you want to make and go for it.

To me the new MacBook is about options. From super thin and light up to the "fat" Retina Pro. You pick what compromises you want to make and go for it.

Agreed. Personally I doubt I'll ever own a large laptop again. Indeed I doubt I've ever own a laptop with a fixed keyboard again. People love to use the word "compromise" as though only some things compromise when any single device is a compromise. Something that's thin and light and can used a laptop one second or a tablet the next, that's what I want. Some will go for more bulk and speed. There is no right or wrong answer and each has its place.

The updates on Mac Book Pro retina 13 are impressive.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-updates-macbook-air-13-inch-macbook-pro-faster-hardware/

Specially with that pressure sensitive track pad, and Broad processor which not only faster but has resulted in great battery life. When will I see a similar update with 15 inch MacBook Retina? :(

The 15-inch depends on Intel -- Broadwell isn't available in quad-core form yet, and won't be until closer to the middle of the year.

The 15-inch depends on Intel -- Broadwell isn't available in quad-core form yet, and won't be until closer to the middle of the year.

Which would be like... Just a few months before skylake anyway at this rate.

Apple ripoff once again.

Any other company would've bundled the adapter (and not charged $80 for it to begin with) if it was absolutely essential, which it is in this case. No other laptop/tablet/hybrid in the world limits you to only being able to charge or use any external device without a dongle.

And they go cheap on the 4 ear old 480p front camera.

The XPS 13 is real innovation, a 13" screen in a 11" body. All Apple do is make stuff thinner and remove features so they can charge you more.

Apple ripoff once again.

Any other company would've bundled the adapter (and not charged $80 for it to begin with) if it was absolutely essential, which it is in this case. No other laptop/tablet/hybrid in the world limits you to only being able to charge or use any external device without a dongle.

The XPS 13 is real innovation, a 13" screen in a 11" body. All Apple do is make stuff thinner and remove features so they can charge you more.

I wouldn't say it's a rip off compared to other premium Windows ultra portables. The top end XPS 13 with the high res touch display with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD, there is no 512 GB option for the XPS 13 that I just saw on the site, is $1449. That smack dab in the middle of the prices of the two new Macbooks.

The Core i5 Surface Pro 3 with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD is identical in price to the base new Mackbook, but the keyboard is $130 though you don't need spend money to charge the device and have a USB port. The top line SP3 is $1950, well above the price of the top end new Macbook.

Of course you can get both the XPS 13 and SP3 starting at $800 but with much less storage and only 4 GB of RAM and at the price you only get a 1080P non-touch display on the XPS. So it gets complicated fast and there just isn't any single objective criteria I can think of that would make the case for which one of just these three devices isn't a rip off in comparison. Indeed you're paying a premium for the size and thinness and build quality of these kinds of devices and can certainly buy more computing power for the same money, but with significantly more bulk.

Mac fans will probably promote the keyboard and trackpad and the 2 lbs. weight which is the lowest of these three devices counting the keyboard. The SP3 is a bit lighter without the Type Cover. XPS 13 has been praised for its battery life, build quality and screen. The SP3 is a somewhat different animal being a tablet hybrid that many like for that reason.

When you compare quality laptops, desktops (and hybrids even though there is no analog currently in Apple's product lineup) of the same categories, Apple's lineup isn't priced overall significantly differently than the competition. Out of these device the SP3 at the high end is a lot more expensive.

Apple ripoff once again.

You just never learn do you....

I wouldn't say it's a rip off compared to other premium Windows ultra portables. The top end XPS 13 with the high res touch display with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD, there is no 512 GB option for the XPS 13 that I just saw on the site, is $1449. That smack dab in the middle of the prices of the two new Macbooks.

The Core i5 Surface Pro 3 with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD is identical in price to the base new Mackbook, but the keyboard is $130 though you don't need spend money to charge the device and have a USB port. The top line SP3 is $1950, well above the price of the top end new Macbook.

Of course you can get both the XPS 13 and SP3 starting at $800 but with much less storage and only 4 GB of RAM and at the price you only get a 1080P non-touch display on the XPS. So it gets complicated fast and there just isn't any single objective criteria I can think of that would make the case for which one of just these three devices isn't a rip off in comparison. Indeed you're paying a premium for the size and thinness and build quality of these kinds of devices and can certainly buy more computing power for the same money, but with significantly more bulk.

Mac fans will probably promote the keyboard and trackpad and the 2 lbs. weight which is the lowest of these three devices counting the keyboard. The SP3 is a bit lighter without the Type Cover. XPS 13 has been praised for its battery life, build quality and screen. The SP3 is a somewhat different animal being a tablet hybrid that many like for that reason.

When you compare quality laptops, desktops (and hybrids even though there is no analog currently in Apple's product lineup) of the same categories, Apple's lineup isn't priced overall significantly differently than the competition. Out of these device the SP3 at the high end is a lot more expensive.

Xps 13 has a much faster CPU and will not get thermal throttling like the MacBook probably will. You also have to add cost of the the adapter to the MacBook, only then you have comparable connectivity. The XPS13 also has amazing battery life, standard my collegues are getting at least 12 hours out of it. With low screen brightness and battery saving mode they get at least 15 hours.
They should have made it a few mm thicker with decent processors 4 usb-C ports and bigger battery for the price. This just doesn't make sense in my book at that price.
It's just a way to make their Macbooks at a much lower cost and sell them more expensively.

Xps 13 has a much faster CPU and will not get thermal throttling like the MacBook probably will. You also have to add cost of the the adapter to the MacBook, only then you have comparable connectivity. The XPS13 also has amazing battery life, standard my collegues are getting at least 12 hours out of it. With low screen brightness and battery saving mode they get at least 15 hours.
They should have made it a few mm thicker with decent processors 4 usb-C ports and bigger battery for the price. This just doesn't make sense in my book at that price.
It's just a way to make their Macbooks at a much lower cost and sell them more expensively.

Light and thin sells especially with Apple folks and there is a cost premium for it. The new Macbook is strictly about thin and light, it doesn't really bring much else to the table besides the new trackpad.

Still at only 2 lbs. the weight alone is going to draw people. Not a lot in a place like this that's very performance versus price conscious and current ultra portables certainly don't do well in this area. Probably never will as long as thin and light is a selling point.

One internal port to connect everything including power with need of an external dongle to connect standard USB devices or external displays isn't exactly ideal. There are those that I think have a legitimate point that thinness is being driven over the cliff. However with this kind of device, it's probably rarely going to be connected to anything beyond power and the occasional flash drive.

However with this kind of device, it's probably rarely going to be connected to anything beyond power and the occasional flash drive.
That's my point. There are plenty of options if someone wants more connectivity so it's difficult to agree that thinness is being "driven off a cliff." That would be true if this was the only macbook, but it's not. This is not intended to be a desktop replacement so talking about how many peripherals can't be plugged into it is moot for the people who desire this form factor.

The thickness is not the reasoning for lack of usb ports. Perhaps it's a limitation of how they designed the logic board or thermal issues. The tapered body precludes them from putting ports all along the side of the casing but wouldn't prevent a mirror port on the other side.

The fact that it doesn't have at least one USB port along with one power port raised my eyebrows. But the bottom line is that they aren't supposed to be plugged in all the time anyway and it takes about three seconds to swap from the cord to a flash drive (something I haven't used for a few years now, actually, except to do clean installs of Windows, OS X, and linux). If the time to swap bothers someone enough to purchase a dongle that option is available, but there isn't any reason from Apple's perspective to include a seldom used dongle for the majority of its user base.

Also, some people are going to misinterpret that last position as some kind of apologist for Apple. I wonder if non-Apple owners realize that many of us who have been using Apple products for years and are happy with the company's success and developments are also Apple shareholders. It's not that I'm perfectly content with a company screwing me out of a cheap dongle, it's more accurate to say that I'm satisfied as someone with a monetary stake in the growth of the company to not have Apple waste a few million dollars on including things that aren't likely to matter to most people using the product at discussion (and this goes for the added expense of "useless" USB ports, as well).

Also, some people are going to misinterpret that last position as some kind of apologist for Apple. I wonder if non-Apple owners realize that many of us who have been using Apple products for years and are happy with the company's success and developments are also Apple shareholders. It's not that I'm perfectly content with a company screwing me out of a cheap dongle, it's more accurate to say that I'm satisfied as someone with a monetary stake in the growth of the company to not have Apple waste a few million dollars on including things that aren't likely to matter to most people using the product at discussion (and this goes for the added expense of "useless" USB ports, as well).

I had a discussion with an IT manager at a school about this stuff (we talk about machines all the time) and after hearing him talk about it I see the point of this machine more.

Basically, long story short, this isn't for "so called" power users. Most people on the [H] wouldn't benefit from owning this machine. If you need connectivity, the new Macbook isn't for you. Just buy an Air or a 13" MBPr. Basically he was like: "This isn't a machine for you. It's not for people that need connectivity or Thunderbolt or to do tethering. There are already other better alternatives made by Apple themselves that cater to your market and your demographic. This laptop is for a different demographic."

And I think that that's where even I (someone studied in business and marketing) missed it. Really this Macbook is catering to an entirely different demographic than the Air or the MBP/r does. I doubt that every laptop Apple makes from here on out is going to go this route. They know they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. This laptop isn't for the pro market. It's for the highend consumer market. So, people in here complaining about it are probably missing the point entirely. If you don't like this machine, great, you don't have to buy it. It's not for you. It's designed for an entirely different base, mostly people that' aren't [H].

Last edited:
That's a good point that I forgot to incorporate into my response.

The release of the 6/6+ simultaneously with the 5s was the beginning of a new business model for Apple--one where they are incorporating product lines. I mentioned it back then. And the iPad line has also demonstrated this. This new macbook is developing the macbook line, and that's a new thing for Apple and something that Jobs did not do.

I'm not saying Cook is doing things Jobs wouldn't approve of doing, just that Jobs was clearly into paring down manufacturing processes and refused to do product lines. The old was replaced with the new instead of selling them alongside one another.

That's my point. There are plenty of options if someone wants more connectivity so it's difficult to agree that thinness is being "driven off a cliff." That would be true if this was the only macbook, but it's not. This is not intended to be a desktop replacement so talking about how many peripherals can't be plugged into it is moot for the people who desire this form factor.

The thickness is not the reasoning for lack of usb ports. Perhaps it's a limitation of how they designed the logic board or thermal issues. The tapered body precludes them from putting ports all along the side of the casing but wouldn't prevent a mirror port on the other side.

The fact that it doesn't have at least one USB port along with one power port raised my eyebrows. But the bottom line is that they aren't supposed to be plugged in all the time anyway and it takes about three seconds to swap from the cord to a flash drive (something I haven't used for a few years now, actually, except to do clean installs of Windows, OS X, and linux). If the time to swap bothers someone enough to purchase a dongle that option is available, but there isn't any reason from Apple's perspective to include a seldom used dongle for the majority of its user base.

Overall I agree with what you're saying. I'm a fan of thin and light. I love my Surface Pro 3 but it has received the same criticisms about the lack of internal ports and expansion and by comparison the SP3 is loaded with them and it's not even a laptop technically. Be it Apple or anyone else, good thin and light devices command a premium price even though they lack the computational speed and expansion of bulkier devices at the same price. That's just how the economics work right now.

There's no right or wrong and as you point out there are other options for Macbook buyers that want more internal ports. But this is a $1300 conventional laptop that's sacrificed a lot for solely the sake of being thin and light. At least with something like the SP3, a device that you would actually hold in hand while using it more than any laptop there's a good functional reason for making it as thin and light as possible.

And that's not really meant to be a criticism as much as an observation. Apple has long been about thin and light aesthetics and it's a big draw particularly to Apple buyers. But as I said, it commands a premium and compromises are made to do it outside of Apple as well.

My partner refuses to go to anything larger than her Air even when I upgraded to the newest 15" Pro and offered to give her my 2012 15" pro. To me they are basically the same thickness and weight but to her that pound or less or whatever it is difference and mm's seem to be the difference between leaving it at home and taking it everywhere she goes.

She's over the top excited about this one. I don't even think she cares about ports. I know I got her a drive for time machine but unless I connect it to the router she won't bother using it anyway. I don't think she has anything else that would use usb. she was about to order this, and probably still will, it's just that I reeled her back and said now it is historically better to wait for the refresh after a new product launch.

but this fits her needs perfectly and I doubt she's much different than the average Apple macbook air user.

She's over the top excited about this one.

I'm honestly curious, why? It's really nothing all that different from other Core M ultra portables that been coming out. I get that it's an Apple device, the renowned and new trackpad and keyboard, nice screen but Apple has been behind the screen department for some time with the Airs. Besides being an Apple product is there really much there?

Are you asking why she likes Apple products or why she likes this over her air?

Are you asking why she likes Apple products or why she likes this over her air?

I was asking the later. The big thing here I think is the new screen which is great and a pretty big. And maybe I'm thinking too much like a general techie. The screens on Airs have long been dated, not exactly exciting in that sense but very welcomed.

You're answering your own question :)

The Air screen has long been dated and this is the first retina in this form factor. If there was a retina Air she would be all over that.

But to give you some more insight, it wasn't just the fact that she wouldn't accept my 15" pro retina, she also wouldn't get a 13" pro retina. to me the differences are imperceptible but to a tiny female apparently the differences between the 13" Air and pro were enough that she refuses anything larger than her air. and this one is thinner and lighter than her air, which is just a bonus to her. and she wants the gold. there isn't a gold macbook anywhere else. I have to look at all the specs compared to an air but I don't see how you think it's sacrificing a lot to be thin and light. It's not implementing a lot of useless features that fill up a checklist but don't provide much in terms of usability.

and finally, why not? I got her 13" MBA off CL for $850 with a $100 dollar iTunes card. She can sell it for at least $800. People who don't have experience with Apple gear tend to not be in the loop in terms of how much resale value they command. Same with the iPads and iPhones.

People on this forum complain about the high price of their gear but if you had the choice of "renting" or "leasing" a current Surface Pro 3 for $100-200 per year wouldn't you?

I have to look at all the specs compared to an air but I don't see how you think it's sacrificing a lot to be thin and light. It's not implementing a lot of useless features that fill up a checklist but don't provide much in terms of usability.

The Core M is ok but the new Airs should out perform the new Macbook. The battery life is ok though Apple tends to be conservative with battery life. And one internal port. Again I'm not saying that it's the world or anything but for a device of this price it's going to get dinged for that. And it was certainly done to make the device thinner and lighter and while those characteristics are nice a few millimeters and ounces don't provide much in terms of usability for a conventional clamshell laptop either.

and finally, why not? I got her 13" MBA off CL for $850 with a $100 dollar iTunes card. She can sell it for at least $800. People who don't have experience with Apple gear tend to not be in the loop in terms of how much resale value they command. Same with the iPads and iPhones.

People on this forum complain about the high price of their gear but if you had the choice of "renting" or "leasing" a current Surface Pro 3 for $100-200 per year wouldn't you?

As I said earlier I don't really have an issue with Apple's pricing overall. The same class of products are cheaper elsewhere. And Apple products do command great resale value. But I'll never get why someone would by something used for almost the same price as new.

a 13" mba is $1400 dollars after taxes so buying one for $800 is a significant cost savings
and since AppleCare follows the device it's no different than buying it from a retail store as long as you verify it has no water damage or physical abuse

As I wrote earlier, they could have placed a USB port on the other side of the macbook just like they currently do so leaving that off doesn't have anything to do with the thickness of the macbook
more rational explanation is that apple is trying to move the market to wireless devices, like they've done in past decisions

And thank goodness for those efforts! Where would we be without all of these firewire and thunderbolt products!?

I don't know about firewire or thunderbolt because your and my field doesn't move data like that, we'd still be using floppies, cd's, and dvd's

I don't know about firewire or thunderbolt because your and my field doesn't move data like that, we'd still be using floppies, cd's, and dvd's

Outside of a very few niche scenarios, nobody's does. That said, I was largely joking.

The biggest issue I have with the new Macbook is the lack of SD card. I can see it on the low res, no-storage Airs. But anyone with a $1300 laptop also has a camera with an SD card to be read. Considering that the ONLY way for these new Macbooks to read one is via a USB-c->USB-A adapter in addition to an SD-card reader, that is a VERY clunky solution.

The 13" Air is a $1300 laptop and it has an SD card reader.

You're coming up with a strange solution. There will be USB-c to SDcard reader adapters for those who need them.
(incidentally, I have the $3k retina pro with an sdcard reader...I've used it about three times)

I could also say anyone willing to buy the newest apple macbook should buy a nikon or canon that is less than 4 years old that transfers wirelessly

a 13" mba is $1400 dollars after taxes so buying one for $800 is a significant cost savings
and since AppleCare follows the device it's no different than buying it from a retail store as long as you verify it has no water damage or physical abuse

Sorry, I was thinking of the MBA 11.

As I wrote earlier, they could have placed a USB port on the other side of the macbook just like they currently do so leaving that off doesn't have anything to do with the thickness of the macbook
more rational explanation is that apple is trying to move the market to wireless devices, like they've done in past decisions

I'd have to take a look but a standard USB 3.0 port would probably be a tight fit. But even if you're right the new Mackbook has no wireless connectivity tech beyond most any other device in this class.

I'd have to take a look but a standard USB 3.0 port would probably be a tight fit. But even if you're right the new Mackbook has no wireless connectivity tech beyond most any other device in this class.
You're still looking at this product and this release event from a consumer standpoint.

I already explained that Apple is "talking" to its investors and manufacturers.
It doesn't matter whether other comparable devices have the same functionality...it's not a worthless features checklist type of company.

What it's doing is signaling to Belkin or Logitech that it's finally time to start ramping up USB-c peripherals because they are going to have a guaranteed million+ user base.

That's how Apple moves markets, not by convincing people they don't need things that they actually need, which is how people on this board talk about the relationship. Their products open new market segments because they have a guaranteed base of consumers within that market so other manufacturers are willing to risk entering the market. That's the "pioneering" that people in business school learn, not that they invented one silly factor over another.

I'd say I'm a pretty big Apple fan, but even I can't imagine someone wanting a computer with such an incredible lack of connectivity.

Yes, Ideally we'd have wireless everything and we'd use cloud services and whatever, but this new MacBook begs to be used with a hotspot, and if hotspot functionality weren't such a rip off here in the U.S. it wouldn't feel so dumb to me.

If it had at least thunderbolt or usb.. oh wait, that's just like the MBA.

Yes I understand this product isn't for the same segment, but I can't help but see this as an Apple netbook, something like the ChromeBook Pixel, but with a real OS, and less connectivity..

I'd have much rather seen an MBA with retina and the new logic board to shove enough batteries at it to offset the power requirements of the new LCD, which based on the battery estimations from Apple, use a lot more power than I had ever imagined.

Too bad Dell has that Sharp IGZO tech exclusively for a while, that's exactly what Apple would want to do to differentiate itself, edge to edge glass retina screen. I imagine the second generation of this computer will be much more widely accepted, like how the original MBA was pretty much a miss until SSD's were implemented as standard.

Their products open new market segments because they have a guaranteed base of consumers within that market so other manufacturers are willing to risk entering the market. That's the "pioneering" that people in business school learn, not that they invented one silly factor over another.

In all fairness I don't think that there's any risk in supporting USB-C. I was developed by a consortium that included like every major player in the industry, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Google, etc. It's going to be on everything in short order. Apple would have made a much bigger statement if this were the connector on the iPhone. I'm not saying that it won't be and maybe the new Macbook is a prelude to that.

Back