Apple Sees Win 7 as an Opportunity to Sell Macs

HardOCP News

[H] News
I make fun of Apple…a lot. I really can’t help it though because they are always saying crazy stuff like this. If you think about it, Apple has made that exact same claim now for 20 years with the exact same results.

"Users are really growing tired of Windows and the headaches it brings," said Brian Croll, Apple's vice president of Mac OS X worldwide product marketing. "We've seen this with Vista, XP, and the other Windows operating systems going all the way back."

Yeah users are soo tired of windows it still holds 90% of the marlet or thereabouts while apple is stuck on around 8-9%.

Apple should just focus on making good products at reasonable prices and stop failing at the marketing game.

Did Apple realize that W7 does run on slower PC easily? Can their Snow Leopard run on slower Macs?

What Apple fails to see is that most people who don't want to switch to windows 7.... simply wont, rather than buying Macs.

I think it takes major balls to say this a week after you acknowledge a but in your OS that will delete your users data. Yeah thats so much better than win 7

I think it takes major balls to say this a week after you acknowledge a but in your OS that will delete your users data. Yeah thats so much better than win 7

Don't forget about the non-64-bit kernel.

This is why I like [H].

If you pop over to Tom's. They published this same story twice, as well as a plethora of machead articles recently from one of their very own resident macheads.

One more point, how much is the avg apple desktop now? $8-10K still?

Users would reather buy a new dell for 600 bucks than a muliti thousand dollar apple anything.

Did Apple realize that W7 does run on slower PC easily? Can their Snow Leopard run on slower Macs?

yes, it runs good on an older macmini i installed it on, faster than 10.5... and at $39 at the apple store its pretty cheap too

One more point, how much is the avg apple desktop now? $8-10K still?

Users would reather buy a new dell for 600 bucks than a muliti thousand dollar apple anything.

my mac pro was $2500... and its a quad core xeon workstation... show me a quad core xeon workstation from dell that costs $600...

if you want to make a good comparison to your $600 dell, it would be the $600 mac mini, and the mini is sexier and nicer on a desk than a dell by a lot

and just for reference my mac pro has XP on it lol

Depends on your definition of slower. If slower means 3+ year old hardware then in some cases it can't. Remember the amazing amount of disk space saved with the install of SL was at the cost of every non-Intel based Mac.

Windows 7 runs quite well on a netbook which is a big plus. I don't see Apple taking anything from MS with the release of Windows 7. That laptop with Windows 7 and stellar performance will cost under $600 while an equivalent Macbook will be an additions $1000 or more.

Even more so the Average Joe that is still using XP is most likely looking to finally buy a new PC at this point. They won't be the ones running to the store to purchase the upgrade. They'll be buying a whole new PC.

This article speaks the truth. I sometimes get headaches with my new core I7 windows 7 PC when I play all of the PC games that I own and stare at the monitor for hours. Apple is right, I wouldn't have this problem on a mac.

yes, it runs good on an older macmini i installed it on, faster than 10.5... and at $39 at the apple store its pretty cheap too

my mac pro was $2500... and its a quad core xeon workstation... show me a quad core xeon workstation from dell that costs $600...

if you want to make a good comparison to your $600 dell, it would be the $600 mac mini, and the mini is sexier and nicer on a desk than a dell by a lot

and just for reference my mac pro has XP on it lol

I quess i'm a little out dated on my Mac pricing lol. Guess that shows how much i really care.

This article speaks the truth. I sometimes get headaches with my new core I7 windows 7 PC when I play all of the PC games that I own and stare at the monitor for hours. Apple is right, I wouldn't have this problem on a mac.

I agree, if I own a mac I would have a social life....curse you microsoft

I don't think people have a problem with Mac OS X as much as they do Apple and their never ending stream of crap they spout. It can never just be "we believe our product is better.." It always has to be "Windows is teh suck and you are too if you use it."

Yeah users are soo tired of windows it still holds 90% of the marlet or thereabouts while apple is stuck on around 8-9%.

That is the US statistics...worldwide stats they don't even make the list (they are included in "other companies").

They must be proud of having HALF the market share they had in 1987. :p

So lets get this straight: Apple expects people are going to be fed up by trying to figure out how to install and use the same applications they've always used just on a new Windows. Instead, they expect them to go out, pay thousands more, and switch to something that the users have ZERO experience with? Somehow I see the time invested in switching to a Mac and learning everything all over again is > than switching to W7 and reinstalling the same programs.

I agree, if I own a mac I would have a social life....curse you microsoft

Nah, no social life. You would just use Facebook and Twitter 24x7 since that's about the extent of the use a Mac gets in the hands of Joe Average.

If Apple really wanted to boost their market share, they'd offer OSX for any x86 platform.

If Apple really wanted to boost their market share, they'd offer OSX for any x86 platform.

They wont do that because they have NO desire to try and tackle the hardware compatibility/driver issues MS has to deal with. Apple would explode even attempting that.

Controlling the hardware makes it easy for them.

What I don't understand is that Mac makes hardware + OS. Microsoft just makes the OS.

For Mac guys to say windows sucks, then in the next sentence they say they even have windows (xp/vista/7) running on their mac, (bootcamp/parallels/whatever). That does not make sense to me, if windows sucks so bad, why even install it. If Mac OSX is so great, then why do you have to run Windows? The only comparison I can really see is that the Mac hardware, while overpriced, is pretty slick looking. I agree with a previous poster, that I would rather have a $600 mac mini hardware on my desk vs. $600 dell.

The difference is, I can probably do a hackintosh, and put OSX on the dell, or Put windows on the Mac Mini. So is the issue now Hardware or OS? You can't have it both ways and say its Microsoft. Every person who I know who owns a mac, when I ask them do you have windows installed, they always say yes. Why buy 2 operating systems?

If Apple stopped spending billions on false advertising and simply lowered the price of their products they'd have a lot more market share. Instead they waste billions upon billions of dollars on false ads. Why else would they sell their 'supposedly' high tier Desktop PC's at more than 12,000.00 and their Macbook Pro's for more than 3500.00 when they simply aren't worth that much.

No it's not:
dell-studio-hybrid.jpg

So I could spend $799 on the mac mini OR I could spend $30 more on the Dell and get a faster C2D and a monitor along with standard ports like DVI, HDMI, SPDIF, etc. IMO not only is the Dell sexier but my desk looks sexier with a 20" monitor on it too. I really wish Apple and their obnoxious fanbois would just fucking die already.

No it's not:

So I could spend $799 on the mac mini OR I could spend $30 more on the Dell and get a faster C2D and a monitor along with standard ports like DVI, HDMI, SPDIF, etc. IMO not only is the Dell sexier but my desk looks sexier with a 20" monitor on it too. I really wish Apple and their obnoxious fanbois would just fucking die already.

honestly after having craptons of dells at work, i wouldent take one if you paid me... additionally i am not an apple fanboy, so stfu

additionally hotlinking images is against the rules here

If Apple stopped spending billions on false advertising and simply lowered the price of their products they'd have a lot more market share. Instead they waste billions upon billions of dollars on false ads. Why else would they sell their 'supposedly' high tier Desktop PC's at more than 12,000.00 and their Macbook Pro's for more than 3500.00 when they simply aren't worth that much.

I still don't think they want A LOT MORE market share. They publish articles like this to keep their loyal, high-spending audience happy, and thinking they've got the best, the superior, and thus will keep spending more money on new macs.

Why try to become a Dell or HP? They would probably be happy to always keep the same amount of market share, or perhaps some modest but steady growth as long as they can still make the same kinds of margin on their products. I think their focus is not to gain many many units sold, but to gain the highest profit per unit they can. They take the "niche" approach, as many have said, rather than the "Wal-mart" approach.

And it's a business that they have typically been able to run pretty well. Articles like this aren't going to win over hardcore PC buyers, or old people that have been using Windows 98 the whole entire time they've had a computer. It may sway a very small number who lets themselves believe such things, but in reality, this is just going to give their already loyal audience some warm fuzzies so they keep wanting more Mac.

If I were a Mac user I would be tired of paying 30 bucks for a service pack.
Compared to $119 and up for Windows 7 upgrade licenses, Snow Leopard's a bargain. Gets even cheaper for multiple licenses.

You couldn't conjure up a reasonable definition for what entails a 'service pack' that includes Snow Leopard but excludes Windows 7. I've asked people to at least take a stab at it -- none have even attempted to bother.

8 to 10k? No.
The Mac Pro starts at $2,499. Compared to Dell's workstations, it's reasonably priced.

You would just use Facebook and Twitter 24x7 since that's about the extent of the use a Mac gets in the hands of Joe Average.
To what extent is the use of a PC in the hands of that same Joe Average? Twitter and Facebook 24/7? What's the differentiator, exactly?

I really wish Apple and their obnoxious fanbois would just fucking die already.
Apple's next batch of commercials should really focus their attention on PC users like yourself. Just take John Hodgman, for instance, and have him scream, shout obscenities, make wishes that Mac users would drop dead and so on. Then consumers might have a pretty good idea of what crowd you get to associate with as a PC user. Would certainly go a long way in making being part of the "Mac crowd" quite a bit more appealing, I'd think.

I guess during the time Hodgman gets to making death threats, Justin Long would be standing there chatting it up with someone in a calm, relaxed and generally happy manner. Cue rotating iMac. Cue Apple logo.

What do you guys think?

Honestly,I don't know who's more arrogant,annoying,and totally out touch with reality - Apple or Sony. Maybe they both have the same source for whatever it is they're smoking!:rolleyes:

Compared to $119 and up for Windows 7 upgrade licenses, Snow Leopard's a bargain. Gets even cheaper for multiple licenses.

You couldn't conjure up a reasonable definition for what entails a 'service pack' that includes Snow Leopard but excludes Windows 7. I've asked people to at least take a stab at it -- none have even attempted to bother.

Simple, a service pack addresses core issues with an OS while maintaining the samer Kernal and providing a handful of new features but does not change the core function or functionality of the OS while maintaining current OS system requirements.

Thats my definition anyway, and i think its a pretty damn good one.

Now lets look at OSX "Service Pack"

- several core functions of the OS were re-written, from their website along you can find this out. This changes several functions of the OS but not enough to warrant re-writing the entire OS.
- More secure than ever is posted right on their website, a new feature erases your data without asking you! Keeping you safe when you may not know you need it. (alright that was a low shot lol)

After reading on OSX Snow leopard side, there are changes, but its a gray area. There are not enough changes to call it a brand new OS, and to many changes to give it away free. Snow Leopard is basicly the Microsoft Plus of the Mac world.

MS had to get away from Vista, period. They got horrible press from it, i liked vista but i love win 7. Its be refined, reworked, faster, stronger and better. It did warrant a complete new OS name and price

If Apple could make Mac OS X work on any PC then I'd switch. It'll be a cold day in hell before I switch to a Apple computer which takes away my freedom to pick and choose hardware.

Apple is just dreaming, if someone is not happy with hte prospect of upgrading to windows 7 from XP, then they are ust going to stick with XP. There is still support, most hardware still gets XP drivers released for it, and really after all these years the OS is stable.

If a person really feels the need for a new OS and has the money for new hardware too, well they are going to have to decide between a apple product and a (ibm clone/ibm compatible/x86 machine/'PC"/windowz box) since we all know there is a pretty stiff apple tax of a few hundred dollars (not the thousands people have been screaming about in this thread) and the buzz factor for their latest os upgrade (service pack) hasn't been what it normally is.

Windows 7 a opportunity? More like a set back compared to when vista was released for the following reasons:
1) Most people who have tried it, like it.
2) It runs on most hardware that had any kind of vista sticker on it.
3) Has great hardware support since it can use vista drivers.
4) Has a lucky number in it's name

I really think windows 7 won't be a high water mark for apple but isn't going to turn the tide either

If Apple could make Mac OS X work on any PC then I'd switch. It'll be a cold day in hell before I switch to a Apple computer which takes away my freedom to pick and choose hardware.

Hackintosh ftw?

I have both and I would not switch my desktop or laptop to OSX even if I could. Mac is cool but I prefer windows.

I say that as someone who has used Apples, and every version of WIndows sincw 3.0 as well as most versions of DOS. I am now running Windows 7 Ultimate, full comercial version and I love it. It is fast, it looks good withouit useless bling and it is extremly stable. What is not to love? Unless you are an MS hater you will really like WIn 7. It runs on older computers as well or better than Xp and with a powerful computer is is amazing. With my i7 rig it boots to useable screen from the push of the on button in under 15 seconds, with my older computer it takes 20 seconds. The onmly thing that boged it down a little was iTunes, thats right, all the unnecessary garbage that Apple loads in with i Tunes like Quick time at startup and services such as Bonjour and Apple mobile device add bloat. Notyhing that you notice but why is Apple adding garbage that a PC user does not need or usually want? (Hmmmm).
Why pay the Apple tax, get a weaker computer (ni i7's on Apples yet) and be out of sync with the comming Windows wave.
I am one that was OK with Vista but not impressed with it enough to change over most of our computers. With WIndows 7 out I will be switching all of our computers to it over the next 30 days.

Back