Apple’s Guide Says Bent iPhone 6 Not Covered By Warranty

You'd have to be drinking some serious Apple Kool-Aid to defend their shitty design work.

70 pounds of force.

That's not something you do by just putting it in your pocket every day.

It's something you do when you bash your hip against a table because you're a clumsy idiot.

130 pounds on the iPhone 5 would be no difference in how people bend these things.

The mob mentality in this thread is mind numbing. The best part is that most of the self-proclaimed anti-apple/anti-'sheeple' are acting just like what they hate. Fucking sheep.

I keep my Samsung S3 in my pocket at work. Its been hit/smashed with carrying washers, dryers, a/c condenser's, dropped in a paint bucket, dropped many times.
When I hold heavy items the phone is right at that level and has yet to be bent. It sometimes literally rests on the phone. It still works just great since I bought it. :D
Also, its nice to see Apple at least try with a bigger screen. Those previous version were like for smurfs or something.

Are you buying it outright or on contract? If you're buying it under contract (upgrading) why not just wait for the Note 4? Just wondering.

Contract through Verizon. It depends on the cost. I have insurance on them so its not a big deal but I don't need the latest and greatest.(I wear it at work so it can get banged around a bit)

I just looked up the stats. 2560x1440 res on the new note 4. :eek:

Contract through Verizon. It depends on the cost. I have insurance on them so its not a big deal but I don't need the latest and greatest.(I wear it at work so it can get banged around a bit)

I just looked up the stats. 2560x1440 res on the new note 4. :eek:

With the current Samsung Note 4 pre-order promotion there is little reason for you to buy the Note 3 now (and I own a Note 3 purchased outright last year to keep my UDP on Verizon). Check it out. You should definitely go this route.

https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/

Just trade in some (working) crappy smartphone you don't want and get a $200 rebate back. That makes any discount you'd get from purchasing the Note 3 over the Note 4 almost negligible.

With the current Samsung Note 4 pre-order promotion there is little reason for you to buy the Note 3 now (and I own a Note 3 purchased outright last year to keep my UDP on Verizon). Check it out. You should definitely go this route.

https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/

Just trade in some (working) crappy smartphone you don't want and get a $200 rebate back. That makes any discount you'd get from purchasing the Note 3 over the Note 4 almost negligible.

Thanks! I went and looked at the website for Verizon. Its $199 for the note 3 and $299 for the note 4. I will just wait for the note 4!!! :D

70 pounds of force.
That's when pressing it from the middle. The weak point on the 5.5" model is off center, and may require much less force to bend than 70 pounds.

lol kool aid

70# is the average weight of a 10 year old girl. If daddy's girl sits on his lap with iPhone in pocket then it's bent.

70# is the average weight of a 10 year old girl. If daddy's girl sits on his lap with iPhone in pocket then it's bent.
Way to be a dick to your phone and your dad little girl. It's not comfortable unless your fat ass hell in the thighs to have a hard phone driven into them. I keep my phone in the front pocket but i also beat it to hell because it's a cheap flip phone i bought without contract because i have no use for internet on my phone outside of work to check mostly emails but i'm not paying for the work phone.

That's when pressing it from the middle. The weak point on the 5.5" model is off center, and may require much less force to bend than 70 pounds.

lol kool aid

Bingo. The weak point is known.

XzrkaaM.png

I've lost a lot of respect for Consumer Reports. They purposely avoided testing the phone in a way that would exploit the weakness with the way it was constructed.

Sad thing is...

It was an issue before the 6.

cdS0Lhg.jpg

Bingo. The weak point is known.

XzrkaaM.png

I've lost a lot of respect for Consumer Reports. They purposely avoided testing the phone in a way that would exploit the weakness with the way it was constructed.

Sad thing is...

It was an issue before the 6.

cdS0Lhg.jpg

This was an "issue" with the 5 only as long as it had media hype behind it. Eventually people move on to something else to bitch about. Way more people had broken screens in their 5 and 5S than ever managed to bend them.

You'd have to be drinking some serious Apple Kool-Aid to defend their shitty design work.

People have been doing this with Apple's products since the 1970's.
While some of their earlier products were really good, and I do have a legitimate respect for them (68k and PPC systems), these new mobile devices they've released in the last decade have done nothing but fail and suck.

But what really amazes me, are the people that blindly follow.
Apple could sell a literal turd with the Apple logo, and people would defend it.

W
T
F

But what really amazes me, are the people that blindly follow.
Apple could sell a literal turd with the Apple logo, and people would defend it.

W
T
F

I've used only Windows PC's my whole life but recently got a MacBook Pro with the Retina display to familiarize myself with the Apple OS and honestly I've never used such a well built laptop until this one. So this question totally serious, what laptop is as well built as a MacBook Pro?

Because that one will be my next (Windows) laptop. :D

I've used only Windows PC's my whole life but recently got a MacBook Pro with the Retina display to familiarize myself with the Apple OS and honestly I've never used such a well built laptop until this one. So this question totally serious, what laptop is as well built as a MacBook Pro?

Because that one will be my next (Windows) laptop. :D

Hey, use what works.
MacBook Pro's have been a solid (physical) design for a long time.

Just because I prefer to use a toughbook over something that slim, doesn't mean it's a bad product.
I just have little to no respect left for Apple, considering how much they trashed x86 during the PPC era, then dropped PPC like a rock in favor of x86, and the blind legions of Apple iTools just followed mindlessly with what they were told, never questioning anything.

Hey, use what works.
MacBook Pro's have been a solid (physical) design for a long time.

Just because I prefer to use a toughbook over something that slim, doesn't mean it's a bad product.
I just have little to no respect left for Apple, considering how much they trashed x86 during the PPC era, then dropped PPC like a rock in favor of x86, and the blind legions of Apple iTools just followed mindlessly with what they were told, never questioning anything.
what influence do end-users have over architectural decisions? :rolleyes:

what influence do end-users have over architectural decisions? :rolleyes:

They can vote with their wallet.
Apple, abandoning PPC so quickly, was about the douchiest thing they could do, next to dropping the XServes so fast.

I sort of disagree with this. Only a couple of people have beaten/knocked out their wife girlfriend recently yet that's all I hear about on the news Ray Rice/ NFL/ Commissioner Goodell, blah blah blah. The media will make a story out of 1 persons misfortune and blow it all out of proportion.

Domestic violence should never... EVER happen. But it does, a LOT more than 9 times. When a role model for young men gets away with it, it sends a clear message that it's ok. I'm one of those people who supports all those who suffer, and for proper prosecution. I also stand against any who think the NFL should sweep this kind of behavior under the rug.

Wait, wait, wait ..... you have to take care of an expensive electronic device? My mind is blown.

I am confused... who buys a 600-700 computer with phone capabilities and puts it in their pants pocket?
Buy a fricken flip phone if you want to put it in your pants pocket!
I only get free phones, and i treat them like i payed full price. My LG G2 is pampered and pristine, will it bend? I have know idea, but i sure as hell wouldnt put it my pants pocket to find out.

I am confused... who buys a 600-700 computer with phone capabilities and puts it in their pants pocket?
I only get free phones, and i treat them like i payed full price. My LG G2 is pampered and pristine, will it bend? I have know idea, but i sure as hell wouldnt put it my pants pocket to find out.

To be fair, many people who need high-powered mobility while on the go do indeed need smartphones.
Before smartphones, they used a slew of PDA and portable computers to get their work done.

The devices are normally handier than carrying around an ultrabook or laptop, not to mention cheaper and faster most of the time, at least for the tasks they do.
But the design is a massive flaw on these, and Apple has no excuses, other than that they just want to gouge their loyal customers... which apparently their loyal customers enjoy getting reamed, preferably without lube. :eek:

...and where do you put your phone when you are walking? I've had every smartphone I've ever owned living in the front pockets of my pants with no issues.

The ones complaining the loudest don't, never have/will, own an iPhone. Odd how it seems to always be a dick measuring contest in these threads.

The ones complaining the loudest don't, never have/will, own an iPhone. Odd how it seems to always be a dick measuring contest in these threads.

But someone else on the internet bent one, so now they KNOW bent phones will happen to 99% of iPhone users due to Apple's bad design!

They can vote with their wallet.
Apple, abandoning PPC so quickly, was about the douchiest thing they could do, next to dropping the XServes so fast.
It's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about or even what you're complaining about.

Well good thing some random forum nitwit came to post that solid PROOF! Question, have you ever tried this with your phone?

Yeah i did with my samsung gal 3. What do i get if I bother to record it? Perhaps get a so called real 'proof' from random internet smart guy?

To Do List:
Buy fanny pack or carrying bag for iPhone today.

WTF Man

I thought this very thing and thought I had to mention it before reading your post. If we can't even put smartphones in our (front?) pockets now something is seriously wrong with (Apple) phones.

Disclaimer: I own a Note 3 and a MBPr = Not any fanboy.

After watching a number of these videos ... I still don't understand how that amount of force (and to be fair they all show the "breaker" using an extreme amount of force) is applied to a phone when it is in ones pocket.

IMO it is much more likely that the phone was banged against something, while in the pocket, creating a weak point which allowed the phone to bend, at that point, while in someones pocket. Also these videos all show the "breakers" using extreme tension / compression forces in conjunction with a very small fulcrum point which I do not believe to be typical of the forces a phone would experience while in someones pocket.

To Do List:

WTF Man

I thought this very thing and thought I had to mention it before reading your post. If we can't even put smartphones in our (front?) pockets now something is seriously wrong with (Apple) phones.

Disclaimer: I own a Note 3 and a MBPr = Not any fanboy.

Why do mobile storage enthusiasts get bad reps for what we choose to use for our mobile storage needs?

The picture shows bending in the vulnerable area around the volume buttons so this is the smoking gun that they were definitely aware of this issue

...and where do you put your phone when you are walking? I've had every smartphone I've ever owned living in the front pockets of my pants with no issues.

I carry my phone in my hand, last time i put my phone in my pocket it was a flip phone, and even then it was occasionally. Between change, keys and lint/dirt i just dont think a pocket is a good idea for a mobile computer.

To Do List:

WTF Man

Its pretty simple. Pants are made of flexible fabric that bends with your body.
A mobile computer/smart phone is rigid made to be held in your hand.
Putting said large expensive rigid device in your pocket, expecting it to withstand your bodys bending and crouching is pretty stupid. Now if apple had a commercial with people putting this phone in there pockets, then i could see an issue, but unless such an advertisement exist or some documentation from apple showing your pants pocket as an acceptable way of carrying your phone, then....
k æ v iː ɑː t ˈ ɛ m p t ɔr

But the design is a massive flaw on these, and Apple has no excuses, other than that they just want to gouge their loyal customers... which apparently their loyal customers enjoy getting reamed, preferably without lube. :eek:

Really?
Show me any documentation or advertising depicting the proper storage or carrying of the new iphones in your pants pocket and you will have an argument.
until then..

Yeah i did with my samsung gal 3. What do i get if I bother to record it? Perhaps get a so called real 'proof' from random internet smart guy?

Eww, Samsungs?

http://phandroid.com/2014/09/29/samsung-galaxy-note-4-build/

I carry my phone in my hand, last time i put my phone in my pocket it was a flip phone, and even then it was occasionally. Between change, keys and lint/dirt i just dont think a pocket is a good idea for a mobile computer.

Congrats, you're the only person here that doesn't know how to smartphone.

Its pretty simple. Pants are made of flexible fabric that bends with your body.
A mobile computer/smart phone is rigid made to be held in your hand.
Putting said large expensive rigid device in your pocket, expecting it to withstand your bodys bending and crouching is pretty stupid. Now if apple had a commercial with people putting this phone in there pockets, then i could see an issue, but unless such an advertisement exist or some documentation from apple showing your pants pocket as an acceptable way of carrying your phone, then....

If its a good phone it should have no problem. :)
My Samsung S3 has been awesome even after many user error handlings.

Back