Apple Responds to iPhone 4 Antenna Problem

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently that problem with the iPhone dropping calls when you hold it by the metal antenna band is totally a “non-issue.” How do we know this? Steve Jobs said so. Duh.

Apple's iPhone 4 signal problems have been the source of a barrage of complaints by customers complaining of a faulty antenna and now Steve Jobs has broken the silence. In an e-mail Jobs downplayed users' reception gripes as a "non-issue." Meanwhile, others within Apple are advising iPhone 4 users to avoid gripping the device from the lower left corner.

I'm glad after 3 years I am dumping AT&T and getting the HTC EVO 4G and Sprint.

so apple users can't even hold a phone correctly now? Wow, apple sure are changing people into mindless zombies

LOL. Are Steve Jobs and this fellow possibly related?

officerbarbrady.gif

People actually believe this is real?

Yes

Because even if someone made that up, it wouldn't be far off from Apples actual response.

They made a shitty product and expect everyone to deal with it

And they were right, because people are

Sad world

I'm confused.....

So you make a new product, have a couple months of hoopla, people standing in line for days, etc.........

and in rigorous testing before hand can't figure out that if you hold the phone in a common way......it won't fucking work...............unbelievable.

Maybe that's why the FoxConn employees were jumping off the roof.

Maybe that's why the FoxConn employees were jumping off the roof.

You may be on to something there, scenario: Foxconn employees on the roof with test iPhones were holding the device the wrong way, they were not getting a good signal, so they never got the call to *not* jump off the roof. :eek: How's that for QC?

If Steve Jobs thought you need to hold the phone there you would be able to. Instead Apple now requires you to hold the iPhone in a new "revolutionary" way. Apple fanboys everywhere are excited one said "Wow, I never realized how poorly I was holding my iPhone 3GS. This new way to hold my iPhone 4 really improves the user experience. Hopefully Apple will patent this revolutionary holding technology so other phone companies can't rip them off."

So a widespread problem is a non-issue?
LOL.

The blind Apple followers astound me how they can put up with this nonsense.

After dealing with entirely too many iOS4 issues, I'm getting ready to dump this POS 3GS. I want a phone that "just works", and apparently Apple can't seem to get that right.

I'm considering doing the same.

and in rigorous testing before hand can't figure out that if you hold the phone in a common way......it won't fucking work...............unbelievable.
Or most likely, Apple isn't doing the "rigorous testing" they should be doing. As many shitty Gen1 products they release, that's become my conclusion, and it's directly tied to their need to keep stuff "secret". If they were to publicize like Google does, they'd release a better product out the door.

Was eyeing up a '4 but just knew that something really fucked would be present in hardware v1.0.

What a bunch of chimps...

I dunno where my hate for iphone comes from, maybe cause i've had two and found out how bad they were while moving to a phone half the price thats better.

apple pc's is quite good, but isnt in my taste tho, dont have problems with anyone buying a mac, but a iphone is like, nothing special at all :p

Was eyeing up a '4 but just knew that something really fucked would be present in hardware v1.0.
Don't worry. In 6 months they'll release an iPhone 4S that fixes these issues, and they'll gladly let you drop another $300 on it!

the iphone 4 is not for lefties, everyone knows cool technology only works for right handed guys.

waiting for the upcoming i-hold right 2 left converter accessory gizmo add on kit

Sprint has horrible coverage. Are you even in a 4G area?

I'm not. Sprint's 3G still tops ATT's though.
Sprint, granted, doesn't have as much coverage as ATT. But where they do have coverage, it's actually quality coverage. It's not shitty ass drop calls lag like a snail coverage like ATT's got.

Jobs is an idiot.

I cant wait until our contract with ATT is up, so we can jump ship and get a working/non-call dropping phone. You know...what phones are SUPPOSED TO DO...MAKE AND HOLD PHONE CALLS...RELIABLY!

The Evo isn't without problems. The battery life is terrible unless you turn just about every feature off. My unit has the screen rising at the bottom and backlight bleed under the face buttons.

As for the iPhone 4 I figured it would have some issues. However, Apple's response is about as arrogant as it gets. The Apple fan boys I'm sure will be happy with it.

The iPhone bumper cases prevents this problem.

I think Apple knew all along this antenna problem, but did not have time to fix it before launch, so they create the iPhone Bumper cases as a quick fix.

I have no problems with reception. 5 full bars holding it even with both hands. Got it on video, will post on youtube.

hahahahah

This just in, Apple makes a POS

oh the LOLS

The Evo isn't without problems. The battery life is terrible unless you turn just about every feature off. My unit has the screen rising at the bottom and backlight bleed under the face buttons.

How longs it last compared to say, a 3GS? Battery life was my main concern with getting one.

iPhone 4.0: picking up where Catholics left off punishing left handed people.

Actually right-handed people. Right-handers hold the device in their left hand and push buttons with their fingers on their right hand.

So right-handers would be covering the lower left corner of the device with the palm of their left hand.

If Steve Jobs thought you need to hold the phone there you would be able to. Instead Apple now requires you to hold the iPhone in a new "revolutionary" way. Apple fanboys everywhere are excited one said "Wow, I never realized how poorly I was holding my iPhone 3GS. This new way to hold my iPhone 4 really improves the user experience. Hopefully Apple will patent this revolutionary holding technology so other phone companies can't rip them off."

I liked this :cool:

Sprint has horrible coverage.

Not really. Sprint can roam on Verizon's voice and 2g networks and vice versa. Pretty sure Sprint also has AT&T beat on 3G coverage.

But more important than nationwide coverage is how coverage is where you live. I don't care if AT&T has Sprint beat in Chicago if I live in New York City, for example.

Not really. Sprint can roam on Verizon's voice and 2g networks and vice versa. Pretty sure Sprint also has AT&T beat on 3G coverage.

Sprint's 3G footprint is almost 3 times more than AT&T. We won't even talk about T-mobile's 3G footprint.

But more important than nationwide coverage is how coverage is where you live. I don't care if AT&T has Sprint beat in Chicago if I live in New York City, for example.

Pretty much this. My dad has a Blackberry on Sprint and my iPhone 3GS is light years faster than his Blackberry Bold 9000 when it comes to streaming or loading pages or downloading apps or whatever. I work downtown Chicago and live in Northwest Indiana. Yes, I know AT&T generally suck as a national service, but they're quite good in areas they do have coverages in.

the iphone 4 is not for lefties, everyone knows cool technology only works for right handed guys.

waiting for the upcoming i-hold right 2 left converter accessory gizmo add on kit

Actually right-handed people. Right-handers hold the device in their left hand and push buttons with their fingers on their right hand.

So right-handers would be covering the lower left corner of the device with the palm of their left hand.

Yeah, I hold phones in my left hand and i am right handed. Its not only so that i have push the buttons with my right hand, but so that I have my right hand free to do stuff while on the phone. If i need to write something down or anything like that I need my right hand to be free, no holding the phone.

Steve Jobs was speaking to the profitability of the iPhone and any potential problem. They are non-issues since their customer base live off of marketing hype and not reality. They can complain but will still defend their illustrious leader in a "Stockholm Syndrome" fashion.

I say these stories are also "non-stories" until Apple actually has a truly failed product launch where the customers do not buy the product and it loses money. :eek:

I say these stories are also "non-stories" until Apple actually has a truly failed product launch where the customers do not buy the product and it loses money. :eek:

Very true, even with this problem people will continue buying as many iPhone 4s as Apple can make. People want the device enough to put up with AT&T's limited coverage, poor reliability, high contract cost, and now a phone that has problems if you touch it the wrong way. Plus any true Apple fan will just buy the bumper case to fix this.

Personally to me it is a design flaw if you can't hold a phone in one hand and it should be recalled and fixed by Apple for free. If the fix is as simple as he says, just using a case to block the hand from making contact, then this case should be provided free to the iPhone 4 buyer experiencing the problem. iPhone 4 buyers should really do a class action suit and settle for nothing less than a fix for the problem even if that fix is just a free case from Apple.

Personally to me it is a design flaw if you can't hold a phone in one hand and it should be recalled and fixed by Apple for free. If the fix is as simple as he says, just using a case to block the hand from making contact, then this case should be provided free to the iPhone 4 buyer experiencing the problem.

QFT. Or what about users that don't want cases though?

Regardless... All these people are within the 30 day window. They've all got time to return them (which honestly if I had one I'd probably be doing right now).

My dad enjoys the iPod line of products, but he doesn't do smartphones. However, he has still come up with a valuable strategy on buying newly released Apple products.

He says: "I never buy the very first one, because they always have a hardware issue or failing and v2 always comes out and fixes the issue and adds more features for the same price. Why would I buy the first one to be a public beta tester when I can just wait 3-6 months and get something better?"

I think it's genius.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1035873418 said:
My dad enjoys the iPod line of products, but he doesn't do smartphones. However, he has still come up with a valuable strategy on buying newly released Apple products.

He says: "I never buy the very first one, because they always have a hardware issue or failing and v2 always comes out and fixes the issue and adds more features for the same price. Why would I buy the first one to be a public beta tester when I can just wait 3-6 months and get something better?"

I think it's genius.

Why do you think I have the 3GS? ;-)

Yea except this isn't the first release, LOL...

Someone in another thread posted this... It's absolutely great. I wonder what Steve Jobs would say to this (you know, facts...):
zAJ0y.jpg

Back