Apple Reimagines the iPhone as a MacBook Touchpad

For one, windows store apps - ugly, buggy, crash prone, lacking in basic functionality - don't compare to iOS or Android apps. Even Microsoft's firstparty apps struggle to "get it right". The app selection is also nonexsitent - the store is a mess of third worlder knockoff apps.

But the real isue is Microsoft branding their mobile stuff "Windows", under the belief that it still held some kind of cache' and name recognition with consumers. But all "Windows Mobile" really did was served as a warning label and consumers stayed away, or returned it soon after purchase. Why, because that branding created an expectation that Windows programs (x86) would work on WM devices. iOS and Android on the other hand don't have that expectation. This is also why WindowsRT failed spectacularly - the confusion created.
Okay? Now go back to my original post that you quoted. What did I say? There's nothing original about Apple's concept.

Okay? Now go back to my original post that you quoted. What did I say? There's nothing original about Apple's concept.

Okay. Except there was nothing original about Continuum with Windows Phone either - it didn't start or get invented there.

However if you'd like to move the goalposts to "Windows Mobile tried to do it before Apple" - that is true. But then PocketPC / Windows Mobile came before iPhone, and early-2000's Windows tablets came before iPad, and look what happened in each case: one company lacked vision, got complacent, and ultimately fell asleep at the wheel; the other ran right over them with proper execution and marketing.

Last edited:
So it's safe to assume they've cracked the wireless charging and perhaps even NFC for their new iPhone? I could definitely see this product being a hit if the newer iPhones stop changing sizes and widths as most consumers would be worried about their phones fitting.

But I guess this isn't really considered an 'everyman's device. More of a toy that won't see the light of day.
You're not thinking the Apple way. Why would new phones fit the old docks? Everything has to be upgraded!

Apple, don't toy around. Get me a MBP with touch screen ... like Lenovo Helix or Surface Book or any other decent Win Laptop/tablet ... can't be difficult to "innovate" here.

I'm getting tired of touching my MBP and nothing happens on the screen.

Apple, don't toy around. Get me a MBP with touch screen ... like Lenovo Helix or Surface Book or any other decent Win Laptop/tablet ... can't be difficult to "innovate" here.

I'm getting tired of touching my MBP and nothing happens on the screen.
That's because you're a fringe user. Most people have no interest in touch screens on laptops, but if you do there are a bunch of windows based laptops for you.

That's because you're a fringe user. Most people have no interest in touch screens on laptops, but if you do there are a bunch of windows based laptops for you.
I like still macOS and iOS more ... but yeah, waiting for the surface pro 5 to add to the zoo ...

When Apple makes a single OS for phones and laptops, we will see them merge.
The iPad Pro, Mackbook Pro and Mac Pro doesn't cater to professionals. Each one lack basic functions used by professionals.

Apple must innovate or continue to see luke warm receptions to their new offerings.

It's was done? Really?
Point me in the direction where I can purchase one.

Also, we'll never know why the don't exist anymore. Apple will claim the patent because one was never filed or the idea could have been purchased once Apple saw it. We'll never know. It's popular to say they stole the idea, but Apple buys up small companies all the time and put them under NDA, so we'll never know the truth.

I think you drew it out of context a bit. We're just talking about the innovation part, which we all like to say about Apple "innovating" and "inventing" products. I don't recall if the article even says these very things, but it's just a given any time you see Apple try to patent something, you say these very things!

Apple's marketing team is phenomenal, so if they do actually produce a product like this (if they receive the patent), they'll get plenty of suckers to buy it.

If Seed did have a patent and Apple bought it, we wouldn't be seeing this file for patent. I don't know much of anything about the company, why they perished, or if they even patented their design... don't really care at this point if they don't exist.

When Apple makes a single OS for phones and laptops, we will see them merge.
The iPad Pro, Mackbook Pro and Mac Pro doesn't cater to professionals. Each one lack basic functions used by professionals.

Apple must innovate or continue to see luke warm receptions to their new offerings.
Care to elaborate on how those three devices don't cater to professionals and what basic functions they're missing? Genuine question, because I know people that use 2 of the 3 for professional needs and they fit perfectly. (Don't know anyone that purchased a Mac Pro)... so I'm curious what you know that I'm not aware of.

Actually, I think this is a pretty dam interesting idea.

The prices of iphones would have to come WAY the hell down though.

So is this a dual boot thing like those android tablets that also run Windows 10, or will this thing able to run phone apps and MacBook programs simultaneously?

Both would be interesting but the latter significantly so.

One thing that Apple does well is integration of different devices in the AppleOS. Data sharing between iPhone, Mac, and iPad works well.

If the docking laptop is about the same cost as a Mac, or even an iPad Pro, then I don't see how this is a benefit. If you're paying a couple hundred for just a laptop-sized screen, speakers, and a keyboard for your iPhone, then there might be some benefit. But this is Apple we're talking about and there's no way something like this would be that cheap.

Apple's trackpads are one of the few products of theirs I liked. Your fingers glided across them with very little friction, they supported multi-touch and scrolling, and the entire pad clicked and softly gave way instead of slamming your fingers onto a hard piece of glass.

A phone screen has none of these features. As smooth as glass may be, it doesn't feel the same to me.

Well apple trackpads haven't clicked in 2 years.

Well apple trackpads haven't clicked in 2 years.
Your point? I apologize if I haven't noticed the change since they haven't made any innovative laptops in about the same time frame. Same can be said of a lot of other companies.

I was complimenting how they used to feel. They were built well. I don't feel a glass trackpad will feel good to tap on at all for extended periods of time.

Would be cool if the keyboard WAS the device. Everything but a display could be built-in to the keyboard, just have an HDMI out.

Then they could sell adaptor trays or something like the early 30pin adaptors for clock radios. Then different phones could plug in over time. This will require an updated Lightning port obviously. The physical port can probably support USB3 speeds, so backwards compatibility should be possible for current iPhone accessories.

I'm not sure why you would BITCH about more selection. I never heard of that Atrix and Motorola is all but a memory, but I wouldn't complain about them making it.

Companies file patents all the time. IBM files something like 3000 patents a year....you think they are coming up with 3K totally new products every year? The only reason companies focus on Apple patents is because it's easy click bait for the emotional type.

That sounds like my old Apple 2 or maybe more like my old amiga lol.

Really you can do that now, just plug an mhl connector to an android phone, add a bluetooth keyboard and plug that in your tv, voila touchpad control, and keyboard interface for the handful of apps that support it. The atrix just had software to provide a mouse/keyboard centric experience.

It's was done? Really?
Point me in the direction where I can purchase one.

Also, we'll never know why the don't exist anymore. Apple will claim the patent because one was never filed or the idea could have been purchased once Apple saw it. We'll never know. It's popular to say they stole the idea, but Apple buys up small companies all the time and put them under NDA, so we'll never know the truth.
Good luck with that - the website is expired now. Apparently, they tanked...

Care to elaborate on how those three devices don't cater to professionals and what basic functions they're missing? Genuine question, because I know people that use 2 of the 3 for professional needs and they fit perfectly. (Don't know anyone that purchased a Mac Pro)... so I'm curious what you know that I'm not aware of.

iPad Pro: Doens't run desktop apps. If Pro is in the name, it has to compete with the Surface series from Microsoft that runs a desktop OS.
Late 2016 Macbook Pro: 13" doesn't have a quad-core option, only 16GB of RAM max for all versions, needs countless dongles for connectivity, no SD slot for video and photo dumps, weak GPU for top end 15" model.
Mac Pro: Limited connectivity, slow quad-core and 12GB for entry machine, doesn't use traditional form factor parts for user upgrades to prolong use over time.

Too many restrictions imposed by Apple on their users to not either cannibalize other product lines or they are confused on how all of their products overlap.

Here's a product stack I think will work for them:

Discontinue all laptops and iPads. Merge the two.

Introduce iPads with detachable metal keyboards, offering basic iOS models and Quad Core Pro 12.9/"15" models that run OSX. The Pro parts can be in the iPad itself or in the keyboard (thickness shouldn't be a priority)

Re-introduce the Mac Pro with the original tower but with some of the ideas from the current trash can. Allow user upgrade options to prolong the life of the machine.

Create an iMac and iMac Pro that can have 8-Core and 32" 5K or 34" 21:9 options (would be amazing).

This is simple and easy for customers to choose what works for them.

Back