Apple Refuses To Return Stolen Phone

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you learn anything from this story it should be to always file a police report. If this lady was smart, she would have had the police go to the address the crook gave Apple.

Alisa was robbed on the subway a couple of weeks ago, and now someone else has contacted Apple about replacing the phone due to a software malfunction. Alisa found out about this because her email account is still associated with it, but neither she nor the police can persuade Apple to return the phone to her once the other party sends it in for replacement.

Well, to be fair, what can they do? Some guy is sending in a phone and saying it's his. Just because some woman claims it's hers instead doesn't mean Apple knows that's true. Though the e-mail thing should clearly point them in the right direction :rolleyes:

i feel for the lady and hope it works out for her. just one more reason to not buy a apple, the wonderful customer support......wonder if they would tell a judge to stuff his court order too??

i feel for the lady and hope it works out for her. just one more reason to not buy a apple, the wonderful customer support......wonder if they would tell a judge to stuff his court order too??

how is this apple's fault? I sell you a iphone on ebay, you send it in for repairs later, I call apple when i find out you do...and have them send it back to me....how pissed would you be then? Honestly, if she filed a police report, the police coudl go question the alleged thief, and if they felt he was a suspect, they could coudl notify apple and I'm sure apple would comply with the authorities. But until this woman files a report and makes it an official crime, I'd be pretty pissed if Apple (or any other company) did anything other than how they're proceeding...third party transactions on craigslist, ebay, etc, are just too common nowadays for they not to consider the possibility the phone had been sold.

yeah Apple honestly can't really do jack about this lady's claim, unless she has a serial on record and registered her device with them, other than that she has no proof

Summary: Whine, whine, whine, filing a police report is inconvenient. Now it's biting her in the ass.

How do they explain the e-mail association as well as the fact that the police can corroborate her phone being stolen at the same time? To me like that's proof enough. If Apple is so devoted to it's fans they can send her back the phone and provide the other person with a new phone as well thereby improving their image. Instead they bone their devoted followers yet again.

Per article

It's not even about the phone anymore (I bought a blackberry--$600 is a TAD ridiculous for a new iPhone) its the principle of the situation, basically Apple is siding with someone who will most likely jailbreak the phone as opposed to helping a loyal customer (I've been using Apple products forever--iPods, Macs and iPhones (since the first gen)) who legally bought the phone from Apple and is using it with AT&T.

Don't iPhones have ESN or MEID #'s that would be linked to her Cell Phone Account?

She should've filed a report, but at the same time it's pretty obvious the phone was stolen. How else would it end up in someone else's hands? If she sold it there would be some record of that.

If the police officer is telling you to ship the phone back to the lady, you should probably listen. Unless you're Apple and you enjoy being a dick, that is.

Don't iPhones have ESN or MEID #'s that would be linked to her Cell Phone Account?

Yes but as others stated already she could easily have sold her iPhone on eBay and then try to scam the guy by going through Apple to get it back.

OldPueblo - just because someone owns a product doesn't mean they're devoted followers. Lay off the fanboy bit and think about what you're saying. You have a Mr Coffee coffeemaker. I guess that makes you a devoted follower to Mr Coffee. Or a Samsung TV. Or RCA's DVD player. Or Sony's Playstation. Or Ikea's furnitures.

She was being diplomatic in her letter in an attempt to get her phone back. A little flattering goes a long ways.

Except the part where she explicitly states in the quote I posted in this very thread that SHE IS A LOYAL APPLE CUSTOMER.

Except the part where she explicitly states in the quote I posted in this very thread that SHE IS A LOYAL APPLE CUSTOMER.

And I said a little diplomacy and flattering goes a long ways in getting help. What did you expect her to say? "I bought your phone and I think it's meh, but I want it back".

It didn't help her this time but most of the time when chances of positive results are low, buttering up your contacts just might help.

If the guy did buy it, he would have proof in some sort of transaction, like a receipt. If he don't, he's a crook. If he's a crook, and Apple is holding onto stolen property, thats possession of stolen property. I say that the girl files a report against Apple for possession of stolen property! Have Jobs thrown into jail! :D

Yes, the highest customer satisfaction in the industry, not that you'd know it from the biased newsposting here. HardOCP ignores positive stories sent in, without so much as a "no thank you."

"Apple, kicking our customers in the teeth and leave them begging for more."

Hey Apple! I have that copyrighted so don't even think about using it for your slogan. But I know you want to.

Or she really is a "loyal apple customer."

Can't really deduce intent by the wording alone.

Well, to be fair, what can they do? Some guy is sending in a phone and saying it's his. Just because some woman claims it's hers instead doesn't mean Apple knows that's true. Though the e-mail thing should clearly point them in the right direction :rolleyes:

As soon as you buy it and activate the phone, it is registered as being yours w/Apple?

By the way, w/Apple's MobileMe Software, you can remotely lock the phone out, erase it's files, as well as get a general idea where it is located, thanks to it's built in GPS (g and gs models).

last time I heard recieving stolen property is still illegal, whether you know it or not. Apple should return it to her

go to the courts, they will force apples hands and also get disclosure about who sent in the phone as well

And I said a little diplomacy and flattering goes a long ways in getting help. What did you expect her to say? "I bought your phone and I think it's meh, but I want it back".

It didn't help her this time but most of the time when chances of positive results are low, buttering up your contacts just might help.

You are guessing, I'm directly quoting. She shouldn't have to do any shmoozing, the proof is pretty much flawless. The ball is in Apple's court, to be the good guy or once again the bad guy.

What about receipt or warranty? Did she pay with credit card? Aren't numbers associated with this purchase.

What about receipt or warranty? Did she pay with credit card? Aren't numbers associated with this purchase.

Good question.

Anyway, since she got the confirmation shouldn't she know where the thief lives now? She could call on some help and go deliver some payback personally.

Of course the thief would probably file a police report afterwards... Irony off the charts it would be.

I would press charges against Apple saying they stole her phone and if they don't get it back she wants the person who accepted the phone arrested. I'm sure that would get their attention.:D

I would press charges against Apple saying they stole her phone and if they don't get it back she wants the person who accepted the phone arrested. I'm sure that would get their attention.:D

Wonder if that could work.

hmmmm

<generic mouth breathing anti-apple fanboy (yes, you can be an anti-apple fanboy)>

OmG LULZ ApPLE SUCKS LoLoLoL!!!

/generic mouth breathing anti-apple fanboy.

Sorry, but like 90% of the anti-apple articles posted here, this one is meritless and sensational as well. It's not Apple's duty to sort this out - it's their duty to repair or replace the phone. It doesn't matter whose a long-term Apple user, criminal etc. Making a judgement call to do anything other than repair the phone in question, opens them up to an incredible level of liability.

Let a judge file a court order - until then, it's *not* law that they follow the will of a random customer, or an inquiring police office.

Yes, much like the off duty paramedic team that walked out of that shop leaving that pregnant woman to die. It's not their responsibility to do the right thing, they were off duty!

yeah Apple honestly can't really do jack about this lady's claim, unless she has a serial on record and registered her device with them, other than that she has no proof

How do they explain the e-mail association as well as the fact that the police can corroborate her phone being stolen at the same time? To me like that's proof enough. If Apple is so devoted to it's fans they can send her back the phone and provide the other person with a new phone as well thereby improving their image. Instead they bone their devoted followers yet again.

All she can prove is that the phone belonged to her at one point and time. Not that it was stolen.

She should've filed a report, but at the same time it's pretty obvious the phone was stolen. How else would it end up in someone else's hands? If she sold it there would be some record of that.

If the police officer is telling you to ship the phone back to the lady, you should probably listen. Unless you're Apple and you enjoy being a dick, that is.

If the guy did buy it, he would have proof in some sort of transaction, like a receipt. If he don't, he's a crook. If he's a crook, and Apple is holding onto stolen property, thats possession of stolen property. I say that the girl files a report against Apple for possession of stolen property! Have Jobs thrown into jail! :D

It could have been a gift.

last time I heard recieving stolen property is still illegal, whether you know it or not. Apple should return it to her

But only if it can be proven to be stolen.

I have to side with Apple on this one. She never filed a police report so it was never offically listed as stolen. Even then they have no way to know for sure that it was stolen so they have no choice but to send it back to the person that is sending it in. Like was said somebody could sell their phone then turn around and claim it was stolen if the new owner tried to send it in. The police have the address of the person if they believe it is stolen they could go there and confront the person. This isn't just a case of Apple not doing anything but the police also. She should be focusing on getting the police to do something about this not Apple.

why is the phone associated with her email? Even if its sold on eBay when he activates the vote shouldn't the email switch? hmmmm

Um her credit card and account / name are tied to the phone and email. Providing an ID and credit card tied to the account / account number. How can Apple not believe her when she has all the info to prove herself? Bunch of asshats

Back