Apple, Psystar Strike Deal in Copyright Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
All that back-and-forth legal wrangling for a deal like this? Sheesh, those Psystar guys sure know how to negotiate. :rolleyes: Let's see, they pay Apple and cease installing OS X on their machines. Also, under the terms of the deal, Psystar’s customers will be able to install OS X on their own now...just like they have been able to do all along.

"Psystar and Apple today entered into a partial settlement that is embodied in a stipulation that will be filed with the Court tomorrow," Psystar's motion of Monday began. "Psystar has agreed on certain amounts to be awarded as statutory damages on Apple's copyright claims in exchange for Apple's agreement not to execute on these awards until all appeals in this matter have been concluded. Moreover, Apple has agreed to voluntarily dismiss all its trademark, trade-dress, and state-law claims. This partial settlement eliminates the need for a trial and reduces the issues before this Court to the scope of any permanent injunction on Apple's copyright claims."

We all knew this was coming. At some point, Psystar had to throw in the towel.

Doesn't sound like they threw in the towel to me...

It's more like Psystar got exactly what they wanted, they can still sell the machines they build, they can still sell the OS, only the customer has to do the actual install of the OS. Doesn't mean they can't provide support after the install.

Looks like a WIN for the little guy over a questionable monopoly.

Psystar was all about selling machines with OS X, ready to rock. At the heart of it all, that was their business. Now they can't sell machines with OS X, ready to rock.

I don't think Psystar got much of anything.

Psystar can still sell computers that have been compatibility tested with OS X but they have to let the customer install OS X on their own?

That's nothing a decent cheat sheet can't solve.

Sounds like a good deal for Psystar... depending how much they had to pay Apple for previous infringements.

Looks like nothing but win to me for Psystar.
I mean what point constitutes "customer installation of OSX"?
Could be they need to setup a quick frontend app with simple prompts and a hidden partition with the OSX installer, so that the user is technically performing the install, however, made simple enough that they cannot 'screw it up'...just my thoughts on how I'd use the win, were I psystar. (reminds me of installing an OSX partition from another partition(containing only the install disk) on my netbook, which is why I figure it's pretty easy to do.)

I dunno about it being a win for Psystar. Most of the customer base (in my experience) for Macs are people who are ignorant about computers. I would say even if they were capable of installing an OS, they wouldn't feel comforatble doing it. By taking this away from Psystar, they have crippled their main customer pool.

Looks like nothing but win to me for Psystar.
I mean what point constitutes "customer installation of OSX"?
Could be they need to setup a quick frontend app with simple prompts and a hidden partition with the OSX installer, so that the user is technically performing the install, however, made simple enough that they cannot 'screw it up'...just my thoughts on how I'd use the win, were I psystar. (reminds me of installing an OSX partition from another partition(containing only the install disk) on my netbook, which is why I figure it's pretty easy to do.)

sounds alot like Dell and Windows Server. Window's is "installed" just not configured.

apple are likely to get less money due to this, any one buying an psystar or hackintosh may not pay for the OSX software as it does not take that long to download 8gb copy, before psystar was selling an copy (legal copy be it) with the system that they was selling now they are not allowed to sell its up to the end user to download or fork out for OSX

I dunno about it being a win for Psystar. Most of the customer base (in my experience) for Macs are people who are ignorant about computers. I would say even if they were capable of installing an OS, they wouldn't feel comforatble doing it. By taking this away from Psystar, they have crippled their main customer pool.

Most people that are interested in a Hackintosh are gonna have some basic DIY knowledge. I think Psystar will be fine selling cheap "Macs" in an ATX-based configuration to people who want them. The value Psystar brings is that they make it extremely convenient. The buyer is basically paying Psystar for the time and research to put together a machine that is OS X compatible. No digging through FAQs or message boards, just give me the box. They'll have some customers, for sure.

Everyone else that wants Apple's notebooks and all-in-ones are obviously going to get the real thing, and at that point you're paying for unique hardware, physical interfaces, high quality displays, and form factors that are very specific to them.

What is questionable about a company having a monopoly on its own intellectual property?

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

The contorted "logic" the Apple haters on this site will bend themselves into...

You're saying that companies shouldn't leech off of the millions in R&D that other companies put into their own products? WTF kind of logic is that?

Oh, right, internet

Psystar was all about selling machines with OS X, ready to rock. At the heart of it all, that was their business. Now they can't sell machines with OS X, ready to rock.

I don't think Psystar got much of anything.

I don't see what they lose (aside from any money from the law suit). They sell the hardware and the software that makes the installation work.

They don't install OS X (and perhaps they're banned from selling it too), which they didn't make much, if any, money on anyway.

I'm just wondering who, if anyone, would buy a Psystar machine that's merely tested and configured to accept a user-installed OS X. Now that they've released Rebel EFI, all you need to do is buy a Dell, HP or similar (at a similar or lower cost), a copy of OS X ($29 currently), and wabbo! And you've got a Windows license there as well.

The idea behind buying a Psystar machine was that it was a no-hassle alternative to buying a Mac. Now there's apparently at least some hassle, so where's the allure?

Doesn't sound like they threw in the towel to me...

It's more like Psystar got exactly what they wanted, they can still sell the machines they build, they can still sell the OS, only the customer has to do the actual install of the OS. Doesn't mean they can't provide support after the install.

Looks like a WIN for the little guy over a questionable monopoly.

Buy PC. PC arrives. Insert Disc. Press Button. Congratulations, you now have a working hackintosh!

You're saying that companies shouldn't leech off of the millions in R&D that other companies put into their own products? WTF kind of logic is that?

Oh, right, internet

The internet took the banhammer to logic a looonnnggggg time ago. It makes me sad :(

I'm just wondering who, if anyone, would buy a Psystar machine that's merely tested and configured to accept a user-installed OS X. Now that they've released Rebel EFI, all you need to do is buy a Dell, HP or similar (at a similar or lower cost), a copy of OS X ($29 currently), and wabbo! And you've got a Windows license there as well.

The idea behind buying a Psystar machine was that it was a no-hassle alternative to buying a Mac. Now there's apparently at least some hassle, so where's the allure?

I'd swear that they said they sell (or intend to sell) Rebel EFI.
OS X is not $29.00 for new installs. Even if you can do a clean install with it, it breaks the EULA and is effectively the same as pirating the software, so you might as well just download it for free.

Are you sure that any given Dell/HP machine will work with OS X? I was under the impression that OS X does not support all PC hardware.

In the end, I don't see how much has changed, aside from the end user runnint the install disk and possibly some sort of config utility that psystar likely already uses for their installs.

Think of the average Apple customer though. Quite a few Apple Customers I've helped out with customer support could not even install Microsoft Office on their Mac. I have a feeling this will hurt Psystar and not hurt Apple in the least for their normal customer base at least.

Think of the average Apple customer though. Quite a few Apple Customers I've helped out with customer support could not even install Microsoft Office on their Mac. I have a feeling this will hurt Psystar and not hurt Apple in the least for their normal customer base at least.

These are not apple customers. These are white box computers with white like box support.
If you aren't a DIY user, Psystar was never a good idea. If, however, you're right, then this is a good move, because a no nothing computer user shouldn't buy a machine that doesn't come with a decent support staff.

I'd swear that they said they sell (or intend to sell) Rebel EFI.
They do. It's $49.

OS X is not $29.00 for new installs. Even if you can do a clean install with it, it breaks the EULA
You're already doing that by installing it on unauthorized hardware. In order to get a full version anyway, you'd have to buy Mac Box Set.

Are you sure that any given Dell/HP machine will work with OS X? I was under the impression that OS X does not support all PC hardware.
It installs cleanly on the majority of Dell and HP machines, yes.

Back