Apple Patents Facial Recognition As Your Password

HardOCP News

[H] News
I thought everyone agreed that this tech was stupid because it could be beat by a photograph or video?

Awarded to Apple on Tuesday by the US Patent and Trademark, a patent called "Personal computing device control using face detection and recognition" envisions a method to access your iPhone and other devices based on facial detection and recognition. As such, your face would act as a password, allowing only you to answer a phone call and perform other tasks.

They should make it x amounts of blinks to unlock it.

Hmm. I have seen this feature on an ASUS laptop purchased 2+ years ago. Although I have not used it enough to say how well it works. I only comment because I am annoyed that this concept can be patented after it has been in use. Well maybe not for smart phones but...

I wonder how many people will use a picture of Steve Jobs or Jesus as their unlock facial recognition.

"I thought everyone agreed that this tech was stupid because it could be beat by a photograph or video?"

So ?

Salesmen gotta sell !

Make a genital print recognition. I guarantee no one will want to steal an average person's phone anymore when it starts smelling like head cheese or trout.

Patents laws need some adjustments. Should approve patents on general/broad statements and not to what is an obvious or trivial derivative of current tech

It should NEVER be AS your password. Passwords should be separate alternate methods of signing in. Imagine if you're in a car accident and can't ever unlock your phone again :p

Patents laws need some adjustments. Should approve patents on general/broad statements and not to what is an obvious or trivial derivative of current tech
Read what you type before hitting submit button:eek: Should read - Patents laws need some adjustments. Should not approve patents on general/broad statements and not on what is an obvious or trivial derivative of current tech -- my bad:eek:

so it's been on android phones for *a while* and apple wants to tell the world they invented it and own it.... ummm sure okay then.

so it's been on android phones for *a while* and apple wants to tell the world they invented it and own it.... ummm sure okay then.

It doesn't matter. It's easier and cheaper to settle and pay a license fee to Apple than it would be to fight this patent in court (and pay through the nose for lawyers) and watch it go down in flames. And I'm sure many companies will take that route before one inevitably takes it to court and nullifies it. That's the new American business paradigm.

Hey, stupid ideas have never stopped people from applying for patents before. Why break with tradition?

Wonder how much they will start trying to charge everyone that uses this now. This is how my xbox one signs me in.

Sounds great for battery life. The camera will now have to be on all the time.:rolleyes:
No, it would only have to be on when something needs to be accessed, IOW when something activates the screen. The idea (and more importantly the patent) is hate-worthy, but not for that reason.

Did any of you read the article? This isn't exactly the facial recognition we see on Android phones. This is about customizing the user experience if the authorized user is present. In other words, if you're looking at the phone, it may show a particular message, but if you're not looking at the phone, it'll make some other form of alert. Yes, part of it is traditional passwords, but it goes way beyond that.

Did any of you read the article? This isn't exactly the facial recognition we see on Android phones. This is about customizing the user experience if the authorized user is present. In other words, if you're looking at the phone, it may show a particular message, but if you're not looking at the phone, it'll make some other form of alert. Yes, part of it is traditional passwords, but it goes way beyond that.

I really REALLY wonder how this would impact microsoft and the XBox One. When i sit in front of the kinect it signs me and and changes the icons/layout to match my settings, dirty apple is dirty

LMFAO so Apple is patenting a technology that their competitor has been using for YEARS!! Way to go Patent system, well and truly BROKEN they should just scrap it all together.

LMFAO so Apple is patenting a technology that their competitor has been using for YEARS!! Way to go Patent system, well and truly BROKEN they should just scrap it all together.

As pointed out above they just got the patient, they applied for it years ago. that office is WAY slow on stuff.

It should NEVER be AS your password. Passwords should be separate alternate methods of signing in. Imagine if you're in a car accident and can't ever unlock your phone again :p

Or a woman hasn't put on her makeup yet...

As pointed out above they just got the patient, they applied for it years ago. that office is WAY slow on stuff.

It was pointed out after that, the technology shown in articles dating back 1 year before they applied for the patent in 2007 so... what the OP wrote does still apply a bit.

Before my tiraid on the obvious Patent Office idiocy. Ummm...

My HTC ONE already does this, face recognition to unlock the phone. Already. Now. Today. This minute. Da Fuck.

Isn't this old and haven't we already moved on with this crap.... talk about behind the times apple...

and in year or so, they will start suing them

I sense a new lawsuit being filed by Apple in an Eastern Texas courtroom.

I'm curious if they'll ever add a sensor to smartphones that can correctly account for depth like one of the senors in the Kinect. That'd make these things a LOT harder to trick.

I had this on my 2 year old galaxy nexus since it came out... not sure what the big deal is, or why they were granted a patent.

If the people in this thread are right saying they applied for this patent in 2008, well the patent office needs to get off their asses. almost 5-6 years to grant a damn patent? seriously? it should be done in a week or two.

(aside from the fact that they need a TOTAL overhaul of the current system)

I sure hope that this isn't the first time someone has filed for a patent on this sort of thing. Haven't other companies done this-at least on laptops-for years? Doesn't AMD include software either in their driver packages or as optional extras that allow you to do the same?

The last thing I want is to see these irresponsible maniacs with another means of waging patent war for things they didn't even fucking invent.

My 6 year old HP laptop had this feature with its integrated camera. Turned it off then, as it was a stupid idea even back then!

Hmm. I have seen this feature on an ASUS laptop purchased 2+ years ago. Although I have not used it enough to say how well it works. I only comment because I am annoyed that this concept can be patented after it has been in use. Well maybe not for smart phones but...

I believe one of the company officers i used to work for had it on his laptop several years ago as well. It automatically logs him in when he sits in front of his desk.

Irrelevant. Of all of the types of patents, software patents are the worst and kill innovation. It is far past time for Apple to be put out of business, by force, if necessary.

Back