Apple OSX Update Breaks DJs' Playlist Tools

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by jardows, Oct 9, 2019.

1. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

It appears that the updates made in 10.15 renders the programs used by DJ's unusable.

Article in Forbes
    More detail in The Verge

"It just works"

Master_shake_ likes this.
  2. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

I kinda like Apples “no fucks given” to their update process. I mean it’s annoying as shit when you are one of the fucks but flat out breaking things and telling developers to play catch up is “cleaner” than trying to develop your OS around them.

3. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

this isnt new news. it happens every major update. my school division is holding the catalina update for minimum 30 days so shit doesnt get broken(ie devs update their shit) happened with mojave and high sierra etc etc

Lakados likes this.
  4. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

Their updates breaks my MDM sort of.... Wasn't until I figured out I need to log into apple education management portal and accept the ToC changes and update a few certificates that it started working again. So even if you don't update it still breaks things :D

pendragon1 likes this.
  5. pendragon1

yeah we're in the process of setting up apple edu, causing all sorts of issues. fun fun...

Lakados likes this.
  6. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

I think we are putting a February timeline before we are ready to deploy Catalina. Funny thing, most everyone who "needs" a Mac actually are only using programs that work well on both Windows and Mac. Many of them also require a Parallels install of Windows for software that only runs on Windows. But we have to have our macs that cost twice as much as the Dell or HP's everyone else gets.

My posting for this was more along the lines of the "Another Windows Update" posts we've been seeing lately. Seems like no one really cares that every OS X update tends to break things in a horrible way. I've dealt with several people who had a borked update to Mojave and ended up with their hard drive wiped with all data unrecoverable.

clockdogg and pendragon1 like this.
  7. pendragon1

fair enough and i ran into that mojave issue last week. luckily i was able to decrypt and recover her data.

8. 1_rick

1_rick Gawd

This is one reason, though, why Apple is, and always will be, niche. This is, what, the 3rd time they've said "screw your old programs"? (68K->PPC, then PPC->Intel, and now 32bit->dead).

9. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

The ones I dealt with weren't encrypted. Something glitched in the conversion from HFS+ to APFS, leaving a hard drive with all partitions wiped!

When I worked tech support for ARRIS, I could always tell when there was an iOS or OSX update pushed out, as we'd see an uptick in calls of people unable to connect to their wi-fi.

Master_shake_ and pendragon1 like this.
  10. cybereality

cybereality [H]ardness Supreme

Apple doesn't really care about users or developers.

Like when they deprecated OpenGL or refused to support Vulkan.

They only care about tending to their walled garden.

11. raz-0

raz-0 [H]ardness Supreme

Are your devices with built in wi-fi total shit or something?

At least for iOS, it's probably one of the least problematic platforms I've seen. No issues with my devices at home, and for our enterprise wi-fi with ~200k users a year (about 100k native repeat users and another 100k various forms of transient guests), all using enterprise certs, it's the least hassle of anything. Windows used to be similarly low hassle, but between vendor changes and MS changes, it's getting more stupid, which leaves iOS the long time winner of least pain in the ass.

I've never inherently lost cached credentials or log in data due to an iOS os upgrade. Device upgrade yes.

12. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

Don't know what it was. Never had the same thing with Windows or Android updates. Sure, we'd get calls every now and then from customers who had just installed some Windows or Android updates and lost wi-fi, but those were the odd ones out. You could guarantee we'd have a spike in calls for a few days after an OSX or iOS update.

13. aokman

aokman Gawd

they are far from a niche in the content creation space. They are the majority.

14. 1_rick

1_rick Gawd

What percentage of PCs do they sell? They're niche. Just because they are the majority in a particular niche doesn't mean they're not niche.

Revdarian and d3athf1sh like this.
  15. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

As long as you have a Time Machine backup, reinstalling MacOS is really just not a big deal. Apple's recovery options are light years ahead of what Windows offers (which is not much).

You can fully re-install MacOS, then recover from a Time Machine backup (offered during install) and you will be right back where you were. Apps, Settings, files, all of it. You can even stick a backup from a different kind of Mac (like Mac Mini to Mac) and be back up and running.

I use both MacOS and Windows. I don't pick sides. They are both useful. You don't have to spend a lot of money to experience MacOS either....I just replaced my Mac Mini with a "Mac" that consists of left over PC parts. Works great.

aokman likes this.
  16. Shoganai

Shoganai Limp Gawd

Yeah ... recovery on the Mac is pretty great, which is why I only let my folks use Macs for their business stuff ... because when I need to help them when something awful happens it’s a piece of cake.

As for Windows, AOMEI Backupper is about the closest Mac-like backup software I’ve used. It allows you to restore to different hardware as well.

They’re very much a niche. Their complete and utter circus show that has been the Mac Pro for the past decade has made a large portion of people jump to a different platform. They finally pulled their heads from their asses with the newest Mac Pro coming out, but it’s a little too late for many.

Also this “Macs are for content creators” mentality is extremely dated and false.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  17. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I updated my MacBook Pro to Catalina last night. Facebook seems to work fine as that is all I use it for, lol.

18. Shoganai

Shoganai Limp Gawd

upload_2019-10-12_7-51-46.gif

Revdarian, d3athf1sh and pendragon1 like this.
  19. Zepher

I paid $100 for it a few years ago, so it's not like I wasted a lot of money on it.

20. Shoganai

Shoganai Limp Gawd

Where’d you get it?

21. Zepher

Friend of friend that needed cash, probably for drugs.
    drugs are bad. A good friend of ours got into drugs 6 years ago and we didn't know at the time and sold my dad his 3770k gaming setup for $300, said he needed cash for bills.
    he got cleaned up a few years ago which is good.

Revdarian and Shoganai like this.
  22. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Everybody wins. I like happy endings.

Shoganai likes this.
  23. Trigger

Trigger Limp Gawd

Lol at removal of support for 32-bit apps. This has broken the few games that people play on Macs, and also Steam doesn't work.
    Why would you even do that? What's the benefit?
    A+ service

24. Shoganai

Shoganai Limp Gawd

That went deeper than I anticipated, lol. I’m glad he’s doing better.

25. dmdtobe

dmdtobe n00b

I'm getting real sick of Apple's #$!@. The only thing I own that isn't Windows is my desktop (even then I have a secondary Mac Mini), but they've had this email issue for months that still hasn't been solved. Bring Jobs back!

26. Shoganai

Shoganai Limp Gawd

There were tons of macOS and iOS issues when Jobs was alive. This is just an Apple thing.

27. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

Take care. Don't update to Catilina yet, or maybe ever depending on your problems with it. Test first if each App will be still compatible. All apps using anything 32bit won't work. Many won't even uninstall (uninstaller needs 32bit), and Catilina has many insane bugs, never seen so huge before.
    Catilina will partially erase your emails and will also erase your cloud sync, imap sync with it. This is very bad.
    Cleary, one has to wait until everything is officially solved and there is plenty. And still test if your app is compatible and if it is not and wish to move to Catalina, take care to uninstall your incompatible Apps before upgrading to Catilina.

28. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

I notice no hate for Traktor and Rekordbox, the actual apps who didn't update their shit, despite being warned 6 months ago it wouldn't work. Lets not hate the lazy dev squads, lets hate apple for no reason?

29. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

If you read the article, and dug a bit more, you would know that Apple promised an easy path to export the XML files. This ended up being not possible at all, so tools built on existing XML files would have to be completely re-written. So, yeah, Apple is at fault for giving the developers bad information.

Revdarian and cybereality like this.
  30. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

I cannot find anywhere where apple "promised" xml support would remain. Like literally, nowhere. Just people bitching.

Lazy devs bitching.. nothing new

Even more ammo -> https://djtechtools.com/2019/09/15/will-the-end-of-itunes-break-dj-software-in-macos-10-15-catalina/ They knew for at least a month that their software absolutely wouldn't work, and have had 5 YEARS to stop using XML.

31. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

Now you get it.
    Same thing for everyone who complains about Windows updates "breaking things."

1_rick likes this.
  32. 1_rick

1_rick Gawd

That's different...somehow.