Apple Ordered To Pay Blogger Legal Fees

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple has been ordered to pay $700,000 in legal fees to the journalists and the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) which helped defend the websites from Apple’s subpoenas.

In total, Apple was ordered to pay nearly $700,000 -- a small amount for a company that reported nearly $1 billion in profit in the December quarter, but a large moral victory for bloggers, journalists and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) which helped defend against Apple's subpoenas.

Apple:
mb_footinmouth.gif

I am glad to see that defending ones' right is finally free of charge.

I am glad to see that defending ones' right is finally free of charge.

At least in this case. I hope this happens a lot more though. Legal fees are a huge reason why people won't or can't defend themselves against ridiculous lawsuits. Sad system, really.

I am sure for every case that we see, there are a hundred that cower to the bigger companies threats due the cost of legal representation. Lets not forgot [H]'s battle a few years ago with the phantom people. Thanks to the people that stand up to legal threats, hopefully these corporate "thugs" will think before they try to strong arm the little guy again.

What about the $4 million in punitive damages? I think he should now sue apple for the emotional harm that having to deal with them caused. Plus all the lost income and a bunch of other stuff… I just really like seeing large companies get sued for trying to suppress people’s constitutional rights (like that pesky free speech one).
Maybe he can also sue them for brain damage caused by having to listen to their BS arguments?

This is actually something that the EFF does on a regular basis, every time some state comes up with some crazy gaming law that the EFF has overturned they get the court to have the state pay for their lawyers.

Back