Apple: Only 9 Customers Have Complained About 'Bendgate'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple claims that only nine customers have complained about bent phones. As hard as it is to believe that number, smart people are investing $20 in an iPhone 6 repair kit just in case. :D

Our iPhones are designed, engineered and manufactured to be both beautiful and sturdy. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus feature a precision engineered unibody enclosure constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength. They also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry. We chose these high-quality materials and construction very carefully for their strength and durability. We also perform rigorous tests throughout the entire development cycle including 3-point bending, pressure point cycling, sit, torsion, and user studies. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet or exceed all of our high quality standards to endure everyday, real life use. With normal use a bend in iPhone is extremely rare and through our first six days of sale, a total of nine customers have contacted Apple with a bent iPhone 6 Plus. As with any Apple product, if you have questions please contact Apple.

I'm pretty sure if the percentage is 9/10,000,000, then investing in the $20 is actually a waste of money.

I'm pretty sure if the percentage is 9/10,000,000, then investing in the $20 is actually a waste of money.

The repair kits selling pretty well. But, look at the consumers that buy the iPhones on day one. It's an easy sell...

It has a weak point in the metal near the buttons. There's no arguing that. What a poor excuse for a defense. At the very least Apple should warn users about stressing the iPhone in ways that it does bend.

Did you see the repair kit? It works.

Sorry, I know that it was meant as a joke, but I just wanted to deconstruct it as my own joke. For instance, why would you invest in a repair kit (aka rolling pin)? By definition, you only need to buy it after the fact (unless it sells out). The chance of getting bent is low so upfront investment is a waste of money. As such, "smart people" would not purchase it upfront, only people without a grasp of statistics.

So Apple made these new iPhones out of Aluminum, when they could have easily afforded better/stronger alloys and still sold them for a profit, albeit not as much (they don't have enough money???).
Then they make them with too little aluminum, which makes them break easier, not to mention uses less materials, making them more money.

Then, they sell cheap case covers, which probably cost $1 to make, sell them for $30+, in order to make the phone stronger, thus making them even more money.
How do people not see these scams, and yet, still buy their shitty products? :confused:

When loyal Apple customers are made fun of by being called iTools, they aren't really being made fun of, they are just having the obvious pointed out to them. ;)

Sorry, I know that it was meant as a joke, but I just wanted to deconstruct it as my own joke. For instance, why would you invest in a repair kit (aka rolling pin)? By definition, you only need to buy it after the fact (unless it sells out). The chance of getting bent is low so upfront investment is a waste of money. As such, "smart people" would not purchase it upfront, only people without a grasp of statistics.

Apple users. Waste of money. Those two don't go together. :D

So Apple made these new iPhones out of Aluminum, when they could have easily afforded better/stronger alloys and still sold them for a profit, albeit not as much (they don't have enough money???).
Then they make them with too little aluminum, which makes them break easier, not to mention uses less materials, making them more money.

Then, they sell cheap case covers, which probably cost $1 to make, sell them for $30+, in order to make the phone stronger, thus making them even more money.
How do people not see these scams, and yet, still buy their shitty products? :confused:

When loyal Apple customers are made fun of by being called iTools, they aren't really being made fun of, they are just having the obvious pointed out to them. ;)

Man have a chill pill. The reason it bends easier is because it is longer, which thus more force can be applied because of the force of a lever. Also, the other factor is that the back is straight, which facilitates easy bending. For instance, the HTC One has a curved back and that makes it harder to bend (or if you take a piece of paper and curve it it stays straight). You fault them for making it out of aluminum, which they view as a premium material, but samsung uses plastic for cheap and pratical reasons. Do you fault samsung for not spending more money and make their phones out of titanium? Fortunately, we don't need to argue logic from someone who uses the term "iTools".

As much as I hate quoting fan sites, here is a list of some bent phones.

It's one thing to show a bunch of bent phones, it'd be something else if they showed all the phones that bent with the same amount of force that caused the iPhone 6+ to bend the way it did. In the video, the guy tried to bend a Samsung Note with more force and it didn't give. So a collection of pictures that you don't know if an object was dropped on them or not. It's pretty disingenuous.

As it is, the fact that the 6+ collapses so easily around the volume button cutouts is a flaw in the structural design of the phone from making it too thin to support stress.

It's one thing to show a bunch of bent phones, it'd be something else if they showed all the phones that bent with the same amount of force that caused the iPhone 6+ to bend the way it did. In the video, the guy tried to bend a Samsung Note with more force and it didn't give. So a collection of pictures that you don't know if an object was dropped on them or not. It's pretty disingenuous.

As it is, the fact that the 6+ collapses so easily around the volume button cutouts is a flaw in the structural design of the phone from making it too thin to support stress.

We know you're being completely objective here, but how were said forces measured?

Man have a chill pill. The reason it bends easier is because it is longer, which thus more force can be applied because of the force of a lever. Also, the other factor is that the back is straight, which facilitates easy bending. For instance, the HTC One has a curved back and that makes it harder to bend (or if you take a piece of paper and curve it it stays straight). You fault them for making it out of aluminum, which they view as a premium material, but samsung uses plastic for cheap and pratical reasons. Do you fault samsung for not spending more money and make their phones out of titanium? Fortunately, we don't need to argue logic from someone who uses the term "iTools".

Samsung isn't sitting on $170 billion+, so no, I wouldn't fault Samsung for not using a "premium" material.
Apple, on the other hand, should be using stronger alloys, you know, considering they can more than afford it, and would probably still make a profit, albeit not as much.

Apparently there is no end to Apple's greed for moar $$$.
Very sad.

Jolly Good! Apple says it won't bend, so off I got to buy one....Right... Corp. idiots

Honest question, what alloys would you suggest? Are they readily available in mass?

It sounds like the real problem here is that Apple fanboys aren't used to having 5 1/2 inches in their pants.

Honest question, what alloys would you suggest? Are they readily available in mass?
Aluminum is fine. The design of the case just has weak points at the cutouts for the buttons. It could be reinforced in any number of ways, but may require a new PCB shape or other changes if it's tightly packed.

Only 9 complaned because those were the only people who didnt lose carrier signal by updating to 8.0.1

Sorry, couldnt resist. ;)

How about crackgate? One drop from about 3 feet with a rubber case.

image1_zps7728fe94.jpg

^ LMAO, sorry man, not laughing at you, just the shitty product.
I can drop my standard cell phone from 30 feet and it will still work.

"Smart"phones, I love it. :rolleyes: :D

I bet if you are the business of making phones, you would do the same or more.

or you would donate your profit or sell phone at razor thin margin?

I like that they said only 9 people have reported the bend with an iPhone 6 Plus.... What about iPhone 6?

The repair kits selling pretty well. But, look at the consumers that buy the iPhones on day one. It's an easy sell...

Jokes on them, I've had one of those repair kits for years. Never know what you might want flattened these days.

I like that they said only 9 people have reported the bend with an iPhone 6 Plus.... What about iPhone 6?

Probably 0 considering the iPhone 6 is much stronger. Smaller phone, less surface area.

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet or exceed all of our high quality standards

Maybe their "high quality standards" are not really high enough for the real world.

razor thin margin?

With $170 billion in liquidity, I sure as hell would.
If I were in charge of Apple, I would say, "We have enough money, this isn't about that any more. Let's give our loyal customers something really special from now on, cost be damned. Also, give all of our Chinese/Asian workers raises and better living conditions, they've more than earned it."

But no, Apple is an evil, greedy, POS mega-corp which only has one stupid fucking goal: make more money. :rolleyes:

But no, Apple is an evil, greedy, POS mega-corp which only has one stupid fucking goal: make more money. :rolleyes:

Sarcastic comment? Not sure, and can't really tell must be the time. LOL

Polyoxymethylene
Carbon Fiber
Titanium
Stainless Steel?

Titanium is not even an option, the machining time would be so long it would cause a huge supply constraint and cost so much the profit margins will be crazy low. I would like that but I know theres no way Apple could machine 10 million iPhone cases in that amount of time. Carbon fiber would probably take way too much labor that cant be machined and automated well right now. Stainless steel is probably because it would make the phone heavier. POM would feel relatively cheap.

I'd love Titanium, but I am not sure I would buy a $1,000 phone to get one.

Well maybe Tony Stark can build the next iPhone. Will that make you guys happy?

Well maybe Tony Stark can build the next iPhone. Will that make you guys happy?
It's still an Apple product so the nerds will find something else to mouthfoam over and claim that this time it will be the thing/conspiracy/flaw that finally bankrupts the company.

It's like antennagate again. Apple treats their iSheeps like the retards they are, says "you're just holding it wrong," then 6 months or so later offers free bump cases while still not admitting their screw-up.

This time? Apple will say "you're just putting it in the wrong pocket," then 6 months or so later offers hard cases while still not admitting their screw-up.

Back