Apple Mac Pro 8-way - thoughts?

SpasticTeapot

Limp Gawd
The Mac Pro 8-way seems to be a pretty darn good idea. Because Apple has complete control over both the OS and hardware, OSX will likely have far greater ability to take advantage of all 8 cores than PC hardware and Vista would. (It can't be any harder than that AltiVec mess.)

While not cheap, it's also accessible - anyone can walk into a store, and buy a Mac Pro 8-way. No fancy-talk or consultants necessary. And just about anyone can throw Photoshop or Maya or whatever program they want on one of these machines, and it will work - no futzing necessary.

Mac Pro? A comparitively cheap way to obtain speedy Clovertowns and a nice a quantity of FB-DIMMs I'd say.

The hardware should be pretty standard, with the exception of no BIOS and EFI instead, I think. 5000_ series chipset still(?) and a nice variety of PCI/e slots.

While not cheap, it's also accessible - anyone can walk into a store, and buy a Mac Pro 8-way. No fancy-talk or consultants necessary. And just about anyone can throw Photoshop or Maya or whatever program they want on one of these machines, and it will work - no futzing necessary.

I can "walk" into newegg and order an equivalent system with no questions asked as well.

I might get one just to get the processors. Put in my 5160s and put the thing on ebay. I wonder how they're going to handle the cooling on this as it already has problems with the fb-dimms throttling, the way the board is setup, the fb-dimms have the air flowing from the processors, over them and then out the back. I wonder if they added some additional cooling.

Back