Apple Mac mini

elec999

Limp Gawd
Is a mac min with 1.5gig and 2 gig of ram good enough for everyday use and some parallels with windows XP. Do I need a faster processor.
Thanks

what now? 1.5gig and 2 gig of ram? what speed of processor are you looking at? intel or powerpc? new or used?

Huh? Intel 1.5ghz? I thought the slowest was 1.66Ghz? And 1.66ghz is dual core isn't it? I thought all Intel Mac Minis were dual core?

Ah, that's what it is. I thought he meant he was looking at a new one. I guess he found a used Mac Mini Core Solo.

My bad.

I guess I didnt phrase this too well. I got a use mac mini, Intel 1.5 core solo, I will upgrade it to 2 gig of ram as soon as I receive it. I was wondering if I need to upgrade the cpu right away or 1.5 gig will be good enough for now. This is also my first mac.
Thanks

That 1.5ghz processor is terrible. You must replace it right away with a Core 2 Duo Merom. It's a pain in the ass to get those little Mac Mini boxes open so you might as well swap the processor when you upgrade the ram. Seriously, you aren't going to be having a good time running Parallels on that thing with the Core Solo.

That 1.5ghz processor is terrible. You must replace it right away with a Core 2 Duo Merom. It's a pain in the ass to get those little Mac Mini boxes open so you might as well swap the processor when you upgrade the ram. Seriously, you aren't going to be having a good time running Parallels on that thing with the Core Solo.
It's not that bad, but Zinn's right, you wouldn't want to run Parallels on a processor with one core.

the core solo mini's are single core, and the core 2 duo are dual core i believe.[/url]

Core Solo implies a single core and Core Duo implies a dual core.

There are no Core 2 Duo Mac Minis.

I guess I didnt phrase this too well. I got a use mac mini, Intel 1.5 core solo, I will upgrade it to 2 gig of ram as soon as I receive it. I was wondering if I need to upgrade the cpu right away or 1.5 gig will be good enough for now. This is also my first mac.
Thanks

You phrased it just fine, but you can't use "gig" to represent gigahertz and gigabyte. When you do, it sounds like you're asking if you should go with 1.5GB or 2.0GB of RAM.

I believe everyone else agrees, the 1.5GHz Core Solo Mac Mini is just OK. It's going to be slow running Parallels because it's not dual core. I'd spend a little extra cash and buy the Core Duo model if possible.

How does a T2600 2.16 Yonah sound. I heard merom get a little hot. And keep the fan in the mini running too much.
Thanks

well yeah, there are, not officially, but i have one.

Not with a warranty you don't ;) You definitely need ram in these things, the base 512 just doesn't do it for everyday tasks, I'd also upgrade to some sort of core duo, if not a core 2 duo if you can get one fairly cheap.

my mac mini solo runs parallels fine with 2gb of ram.

it doesn't scream and I probably couldn't run games on it, but for word processing, picasa 2 and a couple of programs that are windows exclusive, i'm pretty happy with it.

Back