• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Apple Mac Book Air

Too much - unless the $1800 includes the SSD drive. Like the screen size and keyboard layout. Processor is on par with other sub notebooks. Battery life... hmmn... was expecting more than 5 hours. Sexy looking laptop, however.

(edit)
Nope - $1800 gets you the base unit. An extra $999 gets you the SSD drive. Outch.
 
Too much - unless the $1800 includes the SSD drive. Like the screen size and keyboard layout. Processor is on par with other sub notebooks. Battery life... hmmn... was expecting more than 5 hours. Sexy looking laptop, however.

It's only 3098 with the SSD, and a 200mhz increase.


Plus I used to have a laptop with a 1.8 inch drive, soooooooo sloooowwwwww....
 
How on earth can they get away with charging for a 4200rpm laptop drive for $1800?

:rolleyes:
 
People will still buy it.

Ding! Think real estate agents & business-types who'd most likely just replace the thing when the battery stopped holding a charge anyway. $1700 is nothing to some people, ESPECIALLY when they're buying STYLE!



*note: I'm definitely not one of those people :p
 
If this is the extent of the upgrades to the sub 2lb market since my MM20 shipped almost 4 years ago it is very depressing.
 
If this is the extent of the upgrades to the sub 2lb market since my MM20 shipped almost 4 years ago it is very depressing.

A: it's a 3lb notebook, not 2lb

B: 4x the memory, 10+ x the processor power (very rough estimate), 4x the hard drive space, 2.5" more screen real estate, a higher-res screen, a multi-touch pad, faster wifi, and OSX (which includes a lot of good, free software) isn't enough for ya?
 
A: it's a 3lb notebook, not 2lb

That is even worse.

B: 4x the memory, 10+ x the processor power (very rough estimate), 4x the hard drive space, 2.5" more screen real estate, a higher-res screen, a multi-touch pad, faster wifi, and OSX (which includes a lot of good, free software) isn't enough for ya?

Not in 4 years it isn't otherwise I would have said "holy crap that is amazing!". Especially given the relative pricing and general scaling seen in the last 4 years. The bigger monitor isn't a plus when you are trying to make something thin and light.
 
That is even worse...Not in 4 years it isn't otherwise I would have said "holy crap that is amazing!".
Fair enough. I'm impressed by the fact that they crammed as much sh*t in there as they did, and I can guarantee you they're working on a version with more ports and an optical drive. Give hard drive technology another year or two and we'll no doubt see either faster 1.8" drives, or much cheaper solid-state drives.

I think this thing's just a year or two early. It IS the first of it's line (assuming they continue with the "air" line). Think of the first imac's vs, the current imac's, right?

*edit: If you think about it, for the most part the biggest shortcomings of the 'Air' are those suffered by all mini-laptop manufacturers: small/slow drives, less-than-stellar leaps in battery technology, and the balance between usability and portability. I love my 15" screen on my laptop, I don't know if I could cope with a 13" or less screen. Sure, they could've put a 12" or smaller screen into it, but you start to run into usability issues when the resolution is high, yet the screen is small. I personally think 13" for the vast majority of users is about the limit for easily viewing web pages/emails/etc.

As I've said, their biggest mistake to me was the lack of firewire, followed by the non-replaceable battery.
 
Fair enough. I'm impressed by the fact that they crammed as much sh*t in there as they did, and I can guarantee you they're working on a version with more ports and an optical drive. Give hard drive technology another year or two and we'll no doubt see either faster 1.8" drives, or much cheaper solid-state drives.

I think this thing's just a year or two early. It IS the first of it's line (assuming they continue with the "air" line). Think of the first imac's vs, the current imac's, right?

If they are they should forgo the optical drive. I have had the MM20 for almost 4 years now and really I haven't had a need for the optical drive. With more and more things being media less in their content distribution methods and the increase in capacity of flash based media the optical drive for a real light weight traveling laptop becomes less relevant IMO everyday.

Edit: The battery thing though is just messed up though for all laptops still. On the MM20 I get 3 1/2 to 4 hours on the standard battery, 6 1/2 on the medium (which I broke...oops) and a little over 8 hours (some people report 9 but I have NEVER gotten mine to last that long) on the maximum capacity battery (though it pushes the weight to almost 3lbs). I still don't see why battery life is so bad on most laptops when Sharp did so very well with their Actius and Widenote lines.
 
If they are they should forgo the optical drive. I have had the MM20 for almost 4 years now and really I haven't had a need for the optical drive. With more and more things being media less in their content distribution methods and the increase in capacity of flash based media the optical drive for a real light weight traveling laptop becomes less relevant IMO everyday.

Edit: The battery thing though is just messed up though for all laptops still. On the MM20 I get 3 1/2 to 4 hours on the standard battery, 6 1/2 on the medium (which I broke...oops) and a little over 8 hours (some people report 9 but I have NEVER gotten mine to last that long) on the maximum capacity battery (though it pushes the weight to almost 3lbs). I still don't see why battery life is so bad on most laptops when Sharp did so very well with their Actius and Widenote lines.

I can't find the link, but somebody posted something about nanowires and increasing the battery capacity of Lithium-Ion batteries 10x! I'll look for the link...

edit: found something related: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071219103105.htm
 
This is not truly an "Air" device. If it did, there would least be support for 3G Internal for AT&T or a slot for any other provider.




And don't even both telling me you can get a USB device, cause that's just worthless if you pay $1800 for a laptop.
 
Would it by any chance be possible to install Vista on this thing?
I can swear I've seen Vista installed in a MacBook Pro..
 
You'll get a few things present in OS X. The media keys still work (though there's clearly no Dashboard or Expose), and things like Bluetooth, the camera, and so on will be there.

However, it's doubtful you'll get the full touchpad feature set. Those features may require app-specific support, since the commands to rotate images, zoom in, and so forth can vary widely between programs.
 

As I said in the other thread, look at the market as a whole. It was a horrible day for the entire market, for Apple to not take a hit even on today would be very difficult. Now the day to watch for will be in a few weeks (or the end of the quarter) when they announce sales of the Macbook Air or how well it is received into the community.
 
Historically there has been a drop after every MacWorld keynote.

The MacBook Air isn't (anywhere near) perfect, but I honestly don't understand the hate. I think Apple could have done a better job pricing it $100-300 less or at least added an option for a 160GB drive (but I'm not sure if the 1.8" drive would have fit). Overall, I think they have a nice machine.

Comparable ultra-portables have sold for this much and more. Dell, for example, sells the same SSD for $999, the same price Apple is asking for.

Also, the battery life is an estimate with WiFi on, and traditionally Apple has been pretty lapse with their numbers, so I would expect even better performance.
 
Way too expensive, way too fragile looking. I would cry if I paid that much for a notebook and it cracked in half in my backpack.
 
Historically there has been a drop after every MacWorld keynote.

Actually, Apple usually rallies on Macworld and then tanks after the earnings conference call the following week. It tanks on news of Q2 forward guidance being significantly less than Q1, basically. It is ridiculous because how can you expect such a company to sell more during the spring season as they did during the holidays, but it happens anyway.

Look at Intel right now, they report their most profitable quarter ever and they get absolutely pummeled afterwards. The market is so ridiculously messed up right now.
 
Stop worrying about it cracking in half. Its going to be durable. its very light and its made out of aluminum = it will be quite durable in comparison to most notebooks. The only risk is a screen crack by dropping on the screen.

heavier laptops are not necessarily more durable, and in the case of plastic cased laptops, they are far less. you can feel them flexing when you hold them by a corner. This light, metal laptop will do far better than ordinary laptops.
 
Its a thinner macbook. With a slow ass HDD and a non-user-replaceable battery costing $800 more than said macbook. WTF is the point?

/me waits for penryn to hit dell's lineup and will snag a M1330.
 
ive been looking around for a new laptop but i got to say this sure as hell isnt it, Its way too damn costly, and im prob gonna end up getting a new reg MacBook which is cheaper, much more powerful, full speed hard drive, all the ports i need, need i go on? If you ask me MacBook > MacBook Air and i also wanna say MacBook Air is a ghetto name...
 
1 usb port = not as bad as everyone makes it out to be... but still terrible.
No user replaceable battery - WTF mate? I take mine out most of the time so I don't waste charge cycles. I plug the battery in, close it, move it, plug it in, and pull the battery out before it starts charging (i have a 2-3 sec window).

$1800? i'd take an EEE first. People complain about battery life with it, so maybe I'd take 3 EEE's before an Air.
 
Underpowered, low on key features, overpriced, overhyped, and made for people that hang on Steve Job's every breath. I'm really tired of mediocre products coming out of Apple only to get praised as ground breaking and revolutionary. I'm not an idiot so I'll pass on this gem.
 
To me it looks kinda like a big milano cookie. The entire thing is all rounded like a milano and the black keyboard could be the chocolate.
 
I just thought of this.....what's the point of an ultra thin laptop if you have to carry a bunch of accessories with it. The thinness of it becomes pointless if you're lugging around an external DVD drive, LAN adapter, USB splitter, external HDD, and whatever the hell else you need. I'm sorry but I just don't see the practicality of it.
 
I think the MacBook Air will have cooling problems. Anyone else think so?

Not really since other ultra thin ultra light laptops don't. Then again it is a first generation mac so it is just as likely to work as it is to explode or get my wife pregnant.
 
I can't see me buying any laptop with such limitations. I don't care who makes it or what OS it runs.

-A single USB hub? No thanks. I do like to use an external mouse when I can. And to have to choose between a mouse or a thumb drive to transfer Data when not on my wireless network is a pain.

-No Swappable battery? No thanks. One battery just doesn't cut it.

-No Ethernet? While not always a problem, I tend to use wired network connections when travelling. Hotels, and companies I have worked at don't always have wireless as an option. If you have to carry around a wireless access point along with the ultra portable, things are becoming less portable.

-No Optical drive? There goes the idea of watching a DVD on the plane. I don't always have the time to rip a DVD to the hard drive before I travel. Having to buy an optical drive makes it less portable.

-No Microphone input? That pretty much makes it terrible for using it for Voice over IP apps. Of course, you could use a usb headset, but.....

Too many compromises. It's neat and all, but not for me.
 
Back
Top