• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Apple Lossless encoding on PC?

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Messages
7,097
Hello all. One of the things that keeps me using my iAudioX5L is the ability to support FLAC encoded files. With the new generations of video iPods showing up in April, I'm tempted to switch, but I do not wish to give up the ability to listen to lossless music.

I was wondering - does iTunes or another program allow someone to encode in Apple Lossless (ALE?) format. If so, is it possible to transcode my FLACs to ALEs? Thanks!
 
Xaeos said:
Hello all. One of the things that keeps me using my iAudioX5L is the ability to support FLAC encoded files. With the new generations of video iPods showing up in April, I'm tempted to switch, but I do not wish to give up the ability to listen to lossless music.

I was wondering - does iTunes or another program allow someone to encode in Apple Lossless (ALE?) format. If so, is it possible to transcode my FLACs to ALEs? Thanks!


It is possible to go from FLAC to ALAC. However, you need to transcode to WAV between them. In other words, FLAC to WAV to ALAC.
 
Xaeos said:
Hello all. One of the things that keeps me using my iAudioX5L is the ability to support FLAC encoded files. With the new generations of video iPods showing up in April, I'm tempted to switch, but I do not wish to give up the ability to listen to lossless music.

I was wondering - does iTunes or another program allow someone to encode in Apple Lossless (ALE?) format. If so, is it possible to transcode my FLACs to ALEs? Thanks!
You want to know if iTunes which is an Apple product, will encode in the Apple Lossless format?
 
rayman2k2 said:
It is possible to go from FLAC to ALAC. However, you need to transcode to WAV between them. In other words, FLAC to WAV to ALAC.

Doesn't Foobar2000 have a method of doing that? Think there is an Ipod plugin for it that does just such a thing....
 
Yes. As opposed to it only being available from the music store on purchased items. While I've been informed that iTunes encodes in regular AAC, I've heard surprisingly little about user encoded ALAC. Maybe the iTunes users I speak to are not audio-savvy enough to care.

Also, I'd be interested in a way to do it without using iTunes.
 
I use the Apple loseless encoding for everything I don't want to edit. I can't tell the difference from a wav file. You save some space on your Ipod. I'm happy with it.
 
The ipodlinux project has been making lots of improvements for the 5g (video) lately. Combine ipodlinux with rockbox and you have a nice GUI that plays FLAC. Ipodlinux/rockbox is currently stable on pretty much all ipods cept the 5g... i imagine it wont take long to get there.
 
Back
Top