Apple Lied: Filed Patent for Mobile Device Tracking

Hi Apple fanboys, how's it going? You like being tracked and being told your not being tracked?

I am convinced they are planted to post pro- Apple things on every board on the entire interwebs.

Is there an amnesiac fog rolling through the forum? Or is the Apple Derangement Syndrome just particularly acute today? Google and Apple have an almost identical process for how this data is handled and anonymised: it is collected as stated in the patent, assigned an anonymous identifier--which changes every 7 days or so--and is sent to the company's server where it is stored securely.

Apple obviously dropped the ball by storing Wi-Fi and cell tower hits in an unencrypted file on everybody's phone; it's an unnecessary security risk, although not a very serious one: it requires either a backdoor to a user's PC or somewhat prolonged physical access to the PC/iDevice.

You would have to be suffering from severe paranoia and technophobia to believe that either of their intents is malicious, or dangerous, or at all possible to avoid in any scenario in which you exist as a technology using adult in 2011.

In point of fact, you'd be silly to think that the current method of retrieving anonymous data for marketing is somehow more intrusive than phones used to be: surely we haven't forgotten the direct marketing which assailed SMS enabled devices? They had your phone number and, as Google's Andy Rubin--head of the Android project--has said, that is a much easier way to identify someone than a frequently cycled randomly assigned alphanumeric string.

Steve jobs is indicating that the company does not reach out and watch what people are doing on individual handsets, or their network or physical location.

What is actually happening: the iPhone *itself* is location-aware, and apps running on the iphone can thus be location aware, and provide location-centric information and services, and have predictive capabilities so that apps can provide information, services, etc based on where the person will be, which is obviously more helpful. Apple or partners could collect this information, but nothing here indicates that they are even set up to do this for nefarious purposes, or in real time, or anything we associate with "spying" other than what is required for - say - ad-serving.

This is not new, or in any way special to Apple, or decidely sinister. The "news" is construing this as Apple spying on its customers, which is not apple's intent, and not how they've set it up. The "blogs" then pick this up and amplify the connotation, which is not accurate. Blogs are not in any way accountable for accuracy other than here, as feedback.

PC ownership and Mac ownership are not mutually exclusive.
Yes since Macs are PCs.

Anyway, the question was: why are there Apple users in a forum where people like to build and tweak their computer, which is completely against Apple's culture?

I think it's the same reason we see those fanboys in every other forum they have no place in (for instance a forum dedicated to free software): they constantly have to justify themselves because deep down, they don't accept the real reasons making them buy Apple's crap.

I build my own PCs. I'm here for the same reason you are, except I'm not one to belittle people for the choices they make when it comes to buying a computer as you appear to be.

Yes since Macs are PCs.

Anyway, the question was: why are there Apple users in a forum where people like to build and tweak their computer, which is completely against Apple's culture?

I think it's the same reason we see those fanboys in every other forum they have no place in (for instance a forum dedicated to free software): they constantly have to justify themselves because deep down, they don't accept the real reasons making them buy Apple's crap.

How to [H]ard up your Mac:

1) Toss it out,
2) Buy the newest model after Jobs announces it,
3) ???
4) [H]ardMac!

... so when is Apple going to sue the government for listing patents on a website that is accessible to the public?

Not surprising.

Anyone who buys the iphone is a sheep, I've been saying it since iphone hype day #1...... :rolleyes:

Back