apple LED cinema 24"

Omegaslast

Limp Gawd
Anyone looking at this as their next monitor? Depending on the reviews im strongly leaning towards it. I need a monitor for graphic design and gaming, im wary of the 24" HP with its wide gamut display, otherwise id just get that.

Are there any previews or reviews of this thing out already?

I tested one out in an Apple Store. Unbelievably good image quality, even backlighting, great all around. Just hope you don't mind the highly reflective screen.

the cost on that thing is CRAZY I dont think its for $899 or $799 I went to go check it out today, ill take a sammy lcd or any other over it any given day.

I paid $1099 for my 23" HP (same as the old Apple Cinema). I still haven't found a proper replacement that isn't some $2k NEC or a 30" screen that will make my text so small I need a telescope to see it, so yeah, I'm watching this with interest also. I won't accept Apple's weirdness however if they don't offer a full user control set and some kind of non-stupid displayport adapter that isn't $89 as well. I abhor glossy screens as well, but hopefully something can be done about that. If this thing is an updated 23" cinema display with proper image controls and can be calibrated properly, I'd say $899 is a good price.

Don't forget you are going to have to find a male mini-displayport converter to use this monitor with anything other than a new MacBook/Pro/Air. I believe currently there is only conversion from female mini-display port to Single/Dual-Link DVI and VGA not the other way around.

And on a gaming note for the OP, if I remember correctly the monitor has a 14ms response time...not so hot

yeah, what type of panel does it have? if you saw it at the store, even imacs screens look good at the apple store.. and that glossiness sucks!

I'm not so sure about this monitor. There's no word on any adapters to make it work with DVI video cards, and for an adapter to work, the monitor has to support both DVI and DisplayPort signals. Considering Apple's minimalist approach, I doubt the monitor supports both signals. It doesn't even have any buttons, so you'd need a Mac to control the backlight. I don't know what Apple is trying to do here, but it's not making any sense.

I really think Apple has zero interest in selling a monitor for PCs, this is intended as a Mac LCD, pure and simple. I think the only realist way to drive it with a PC is a graphics card with DisplayPort output. But no hardware brightness is quite a drag on even that.

Apple are using the Displayport name, and referring to it as a DisplayPort signal, so in theory it should work with DVI:
http://www.displayport.org/open/Interoperability.htm
If it doesn't then surely Apple are opening up the possibility of getting themselves slapped for misselling?

It's disappointing that there is still no word on DVI adaptors, or even Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptors, but I can't believe there won't be any. Forcing customers to pay for overpriced 'accessories' that are actually needed to use the product is pretty much what I expect from Apple. I can't see how it's good business to restrict these displays to be used only with MacBooks & Mac Pros.

For a long time there was the rumor that Apple would only refresh the Cinema Display line once LED backlighting was viable at an acceptable pricepoint for consumers, if they really don't need the sales volume that they could get by making the LED Cinema Display more universally compatible, the $900 price at least gives me hope that there will soon be alternatives from other brands at a similar or lower prices.

Back