Apple iPod Socks

God you have to love how hard Apple tries though. Only they have the power with their awesome marketing to make people think they need to spend 30 frickin dollars on the same piece of fabric we buy for $2 and wear everyday.

Yes you get all six of them, not just one. Comes to $5 each not $30. I could have my grandma knit me some.

If I saw a guy wearing any of those(color wise), other than gray, I would be laughing my a$$ off...

it's exactly these products that make ipod seem like a fad...(i own a 4g 40gig and love it so no flamey)..But honestly who is gonna buy these...they will be all over the posh private middle schools

On the subway today, I overheard a yuppie saying
"Yeah, I want to order those new iPod socks for my girlfriend. She loves things like that"

and I read the title of this thread as "Apple iPod Sucks"
I was about to get all mod-happy :(

atomicnacho said:
it's exactly these products that make ipod seem like a fad...(i own a 4g 40gig and love it so no flamey)..But honestly who is gonna buy these...they will be all over the posh private middle schools

I definitely agree, but I guess there's not much we can do about it. Mainstream audiences are good for business, even if that does result in retarded products like "iPod Socks." Until I bought a plastic case I used a plain old sock, and yes it was ghetto, but paying for a real iPod sock would make me such a tool :) Overall the iPod is like this...they rip you off whenever they can. For my iSkin I was horrified that this little piece of plastic could cost me $30. I justify it becauase it keeps my iPod almost completely protected while not being very bulky and allowing full access to the controls. So while I look at it as a good purchase, there is a huge monopoly of rich kids with expendable incomes that will eat up the overpriced products.

This is shameful! That's true though, i'm sure Apple will make some money from those socks, and even though it sorta reinforces the 'fad' concept, i guess that's just the way it's gonna be. So it looks like with these on the 4G you can at least skip tracks and play / pause using the clicky buttons, but i see no reason to get an iPod sock over any other case. I own a DLO Jam Jacket for my 3G and it's great. It provides awesome protection and you can still use all of the buttons. I don't see that the socks have that much functionality. I'll guess we'll just have to see where this one takes us...

synergyo1 said:
What.. I thought Jobs was joking about those iPod socks.
when i say the keynote thing, thats what i thought. he had to be kidding. but no. he was serious. :eek: i love apple, and what they do for the consumer in terms of innovation and style... but this is JUST PLAIN RETARDED. what freakin good does a sock do for us. the iPod is gonna fall out. just wait... someone on the forums is gonna start a thread about how they broke their iPod because it fell out of their 'sock'. the iSkin cases are even cheaper than this, and they do a heckofalot more (protection and style). i honestly cant even fathom wtf is going through the minds of Apple product designers. i swear, Jobs and his marketing buddies were drunk one night and came up w/ this retarded idea. wat a freakin waste of money. Apple just lost some points w/ me. :mad:

Apple should start a clothing line. They could pop an apple logo onto a pair of $20 pants and add a special "iPod iPocket" and charge $89 for it.

Maybe their idea was to see how far they could go with completely stupid products that would still be eaten up by mass audiences? :D

Or maybe it's for winter, since hard drives need to be warm to for the disk/headers to work right, the cold wont hurt it that much, it protects them, and doesnt look bad, but it's a little overpriced :eek:

just go buy the thing already, help the economy or something.
I have a nice sock to sell you for half the price though, s&h included.
limited edition toejam free!!

Has anyone actually purchased the socks? I'm curious if they're just, well, socks. Or, if there is some high quality niche to them. I can never see myself paying $30 for something like that. Maybe an iSkin eVo2, but not socks. TBTH, I thought Jobs was joking when he introduced thee socks; they just seemed so ridiculous.

Well, marking up your product about 50 times it's production cost is always a good way to make money.
So is charged $350 for a 4gb ipod mini when a 20gb ipod is only $430. (Prices in Canadian)

So a quick story that I am going to just tack onto this thread.

My buddy (a hardcore anti-mac guy) gets himself an iPod a week ago. Gets an ipod sock set to go with it, he claims the socks are for the GF, and that he would have just got her a sony MP3 player if she didn't demand the sock to go with it.

I tell him that The Steve thanks him for his purchase.

He rants about how bad macs are, and how he would never own one.

Two days ago, I walk into his room, unannounced, and catch him on Apple's site. He is looking at ibook pricing. He fervently denies that he is doing this, and further reinforced his "I will never buy a mac" mantra.

His iBook went on order today.

Hers will when she gets the money.

We have another couple converts to the dark side, and it all started with the girlfriend thinking the socks were cool. I think that is worth the $0.50 apple paid an engineer to spend a minute or two designing these socks.

I love apple :).

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but today I went ahead and bought a box of iPod Sock along with an green iPod Mini (both are Christmas presents for my sister). I'll tell you how 'good' these things are when Christmas rolls around.

Captain Kirk said:
Has anyone actually purchased the socks? I'm curious if they're just, well, socks. Or, if there is some high quality niche to them. I can never see myself paying $30 for something like that. Maybe an iSkin eVo2, but not socks. TBTH, I thought Jobs was joking when he introduced thee socks; they just seemed so ridiculous.

i have them. i really like them. i picked them up on black friday in soho. then i went back the next day to get my 40g 3g replaced.

i don't know, there is just something really pleasant about holding an iPod. it just feels... good. nice weight, nice and smooth. this is a sensation i totally forgot about after almost a year with either a jamjacket (sucked!) and an exo2. the socks just enhance the tactile joy. i feel fine tossing the thing in my back pocket with the sock on it. i think they're worth every penny.

and they're really small, about as wide as a mini when you first get them. pretty wild really.

Don't like them? Don't buy them :)

I quite like them so I bought them, gave one to my wife, one to my brother and the rest are mine all mine!

I don't think they quite deserve the hate they have generated on here.

They could start making normal socks with the apple logo on them and call them iSocks and sell them for $10 a pair.

And you guys know these arent socks for the feet right? They are cozies for the ipod.

Back