apple ibook in black?

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
why oh why cant apple make a black version of all their hardware? I would snatch up an Ipod, an Ibook, and a few other nifty apple products if they were only black.

keep in mind I have never owned a single piece of apple equiment but have always wanted to try them. But I refuse to buy stuff that is white.

apple goes to so much trouble to make their OS look pretty and yet they offer ZERO options for the way the outside of their products looks.

I have seen those, pretty damn cool. Was thinking of getting one for my Powerbook to make it look different, but I just love the color of the PB.

when I say black I mean all black, not just a new plastic shell.

how stupid does that look when you have a white touchpad with white buttons and a white keyboard?

im talking an actuall black computer something along the lines of EVERY OTHER LAPTOP MAKER besides apple.

gateway, compaq, dell, acer, fujisu (to some extent) have all figured out how to make black laptops, why cant apple?

Apple did make a black model laptop before. The clamshell one. The really old school one.

Originally posted by Chelica
Apple did make a black model laptop before. The clamshell one. The really old school one.
yeah, I remember them. And they looked great for the time!

Im not trying to diss apple here or anything like that, Im just pissed because they only make their stuff an ugly white.

Gateway FINALLY wised up about 2 years ago and quit makeing white PC's, I think its time for apple to wise up also.

Dont get me wrong, the curves and beveld effect of pretty much every apple product is GREAT! Only problem is.. its one color, white.

Uhhhhh.... Apple only makes their iPod, iMac, and iBook in white... Do you see a trend here?

Their "i" series is in white... I also wish that they made them in other colors, but the white doesn't offend me. I think it's kinda cool. No other manufacturer makes their equipment in that color (unless you count the many iPod clones out there that happen to be white).

For a long time, Apple's Powerbook line was in black, but then Apple probably realized that EVERYONE ELSE'S notebooks were also in black and changed colors.

If you don't like the white color, buy a Powerbook. They're an aluminum color. But also notice that now other manufacturers (such as Dell) also offer metal-colored notebooks too. But they're actually NOT metal. Apple's is, and it's very cool.

Now if only they would find a way to cram a G5 in there, I might upgrade from my dual 500 desktop machine.

Oh, my bad. They also make the eMac in white.

Not that it really makes a difference.

Originally posted by cyr0n_k0r
when I say black I mean all black, not just a new plastic shell.

how stupid does that look when you have a white touchpad with white buttons and a white keyboard?

im talking an actuall black computer something along the lines of EVERY OTHER LAPTOP MAKER besides apple.

gateway, compaq, dell, acer, fujisu (to some extent) have all figured out how to make black laptops, why cant apple?

This is not a shell it is a showroom quality automotive paint. Maybe Apple doesn't want to be like every other computer maker out there. They set trends and the rest follow. It has been that way for 20 years. First floppy in a production model, first digital camera, first pda, first to use usb, first to get rid of floppy, invented firewire, dvd's are based on quicktime technology, first commercial 64-bit desktop machine...there are many more that I have left out but you get the picture.
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3581369,00.html

Uh...Why can't you paint it yourself? I like the fact that Apple's "i" line is all white, easier to paint.:D

"That's incorrect."

Really? Didn't know that. The one I saw looked like metal but wasn't. Maybe they make other models that are metal. My mistake.

" invented firewire"

*cough sputter* As much as I love Apple, they didn't invent Firewire. They invented the name.

Apple was making black laptops before most people even knew what the fuck a laptop was... Besides, Apply usually offer their products with many more different kinds of colours than anyone else... Remember the CRT iMac line? The mini iPods? And modding most Apple cases is a piece of cake. They even hade a PowerBook with a specially designed case so you could choose whatever appearance you wanted.

Most of their laptops are butt ugly regardless of colour. What's your point?

Originally posted by Black Morty Rackham
Most of their laptops are butt ugly regardless of colour. What's your point?

That would be a matter of opinion.

I like the iBook line but have a strong distaste for the powerbook, the case design is simply stupid. The lid allows far too much damage to the monitor to occur and I can safely say 60% or more of the powerbooks I use have problems with the monitor, ranging from clusters of lost pixels to heavily faded areas. The case itself is simply not that strong. The iBooks on the other hand are sturdier, but the G3 version had its own problem with a flimsy aluminum panel under the keyboard that was easy to dent with regular typing. Saw that one a lot too but I don't know if its still a problem with the newer G4 models.

Apple has made laptops for years but their track record has kept me from calling them a "premier" laptop maker, while form in a laptop is important, the fact that they get carried and beat on so much requires signifigant amounts of function in the design, which IMO the older black Powerbooks did better at anyway. They were just slower than their competition in their day.

Why would anybody trust that Color Ware site? All the pics of their products are obviously photo-edited to overlay the color they're supposed to be on top of a regular old iPod/iBook.

Has anybody seen what these things look like in real life? A Ferrari colored iPod would be beastly.

Originally posted by finalgt
Why would anybody trust that Color Ware site? All the pics of their products are obviously photo-edited to overlay the color they're supposed to be on top of a regular old iPod/iBook.

Has anybody seen what these things look like in real life? A Ferrari colored iPod would be beastly.

The screen savers did a show on this a while ago. Thats what the link on the previous page was for.

Oppy,

Actually, that's not quite right.

While 99% of the websites out there will say that Apple invented firewire, that isn't completely true. While its not a 100% lie, its an innacuracy that is perpetuated by the "Mac public."

Apple, while the legal owner of firewire, only conceived 2 of the 8 patents of the firewire (1394) technology. The other 6 patents were originally designed by and belong to Michael Jonas Teener, who invented the technologies while chief architect at National Semiconductor. When he left National Semiconductor in 1986, he joined Apple. While there, Teener became the founding chair and editor of the international standard, IEEE. It was he who convinced Jobs, when he returned to Apple in 1996, to introduce firewire into their computers.

So as you can see, Firewire, while technically belonging to Apple, was not invented by the company.

Originally posted by Brett13
This is not a shell it is a showroom quality automotive paint. Maybe Apple doesn't want to be like every other computer maker out there. They set trends and the rest follow. It has been that way for 20 years. First floppy in a production model, first digital camera, first pda, first to use usb, first to get rid of floppy, invented firewire, dvd's are based on quicktime technology, first commercial 64-bit desktop machine...there are many more that I have left out but you get the picture.

They didnt have the first digital camera.
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/cameras/dycam-model1/index.html

Not to mention the newton was an abysmal failure.

Not to mention the newton was an abysmal failure.

Not to mention that the Newton was not the first PDA either.

This is another one of those made-up "facts" that religious Mac users like to spread. Again, you'll see this "fact" on many small or non-official websites, and especially Mac websites. However, the first PDA was in fact invented by the British company Psion in 1984, years before the Newton. It had 10k of storage and was the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Of course, should we want to REALLY delve back, we can say that Alan Kay invented the initial idea of the PDA in the 1970s, when he was a postgraduate student at Utah. He developed the idea of Dynabook, which was a portable interactive personal computer.

dangfx,

Thx for the info, I finnaly found the website that stated what you did, good stuff, I might even pick up that book :)

Wow, did Apple invent the internet and alcohol too? Some funny rumors.

Wasn't the first commercially avaliable digital camera a Sony, anyone remember?

Originally posted by emorphien

my question would be who cares :D

Originally posted by emorphien

no. click the link i posted it tell who it was and shows a pic of it.

Originally posted by corrosive23
no. click the link i posted it tell who it was and shows a pic of it.

That's not the first commercial digital [still] camera, the first one (if it's the sony) came in the early 80s (83ish if I'm remembering correctly).

That is just the first consumer camera.

But I really can't remember and it could have been earlier, my brain is decidedly fried.

In August, 1981, Sony released the Sony Mavica electronic still camera, the camera which was the first commercial electronic camera. Images were recorded onto a mini disc and then put into a video reader that was connected to a television monitor or color printer. However, the early Mavica cannot be considered a true digital camera even though it started the digital camera revolution. It was a video camera that took video freeze-frames.

In 1986, Kodak scientists invented the world's first megapixel sensor, capable of recording 1.4 million pixels that could produce a 5x7-inch digital photo-quality print.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bldigitalcamera.htm

Yah found what i was too lazy to look for. Want a cookie?

That was it though, I was beginning to remember it being more video camera than it was stills, but it was a big deal anyway in many senses.

Originally posted by corrosive23
In August, 1981, Sony released the Sony Mavica electronic still camera, the camera which was the first commercial electronic camera. Images were recorded onto a mini disc and then put into a video reader that was connected to a television monitor or color printer. However, the early Mavica cannot be considered a true digital camera even though it started the digital camera revolution. It was a video camera that took video freeze-frames.

In 1986, Kodak scientists invented the world's first megapixel sensor, capable of recording 1.4 million pixels that could produce a 5x7-inch digital photo-quality print.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bldigitalcamera.htm
It can't be MiniDisc; cause it wasn't invented until 1992/93.

While it was a mini disc (which back then could have been 8" across) I don't think it was a MiniDisc

Back