Apple Hopes to Re-enter the Living Room

Well lets look at Apple's latest gadget portfolio; iPhone, iPad and both do have $500 selling points. Would it be impossible to predict this would sell for $500? thats baseline too, I can fathom that.

Now lets see what Apple would want the product to do? TV tuner, NetFlix/Hulu portal, iTunes Portal ... anything else?

I can't see anything else this product would do, if its being touted as a media extender/portal device for your TV then its already beat in two very elegent solutions alot of people already have: Xbox360 and Playstation 3. They also have media readers on them (dvd/blu-ray), will the AppleTV have it? Apple COULD one up them with a SDC reader.

That may very well be true. You, Texico and the pork product may very well be right, but the fact of the matter is that no specifications have been released, no prices have been released, and they're already dissing it. They had no intent to come in here and say anything productive about the product, knowing their thoughts on Apple's portfolio as you call it. In fact, if there was anything good to be said, you wouldn't be counting on these guys to talk about it.

Then why bother come into any thread that discuss Apple products at all?

They're trolling no matter how you color it.

They're never going to be supported on the AppleTV or any other electronics device catered to the masses, so stop trying to act like it's some kind of critical "missing feature."
I never claimed they were. You appear to be delusional.

and to note, most tvs, radios (entertainment units) support mkv btw.. h.264, divxhd, wmv9 etc

and i dont need no xbox to playthem, or media center, or apple.. simply network my tv or plug in a usb drive and i am off woohoo...

That may very well be true. You, Texico and the pork product may very well be right, but the fact of the matter is that no specifications have been released, no prices have been released, and they're already dissing it. They had no intent to come in here and say anything productive about the product, knowing their thoughts on Apple's portfolio as you call it. In fact, if there was anything good to be said, you wouldn't be counting on these guys to talk about it.

Same argument can be used against you for defending it.

Same argument can be used against you for defending it.

LOL is that the best counter you've got?

I've been discussing what I'm hoping this device would have. What have you been doing? The same thing that got you banned in the first place. Trolling. Go post in threads that's relevant to your interest and stop pissing in other people's Cheerios. Capice?

I've been discussing what I'm hoping this device would have.

"the fact of the matter is that no specifications have been released, no prices have been released, and they're already dissing it. They had no intent to come in here and say anything productive about the product,"

So, since you're just speculating, the same as us... You're allowed to and nobody else is unless it's POSITIVE speculation? LOL. Good luck with that.

In order for it to be viable it has to be able to stream from PC's. Play divX, Xvid, MKV, Ogg, ect... And not be super expensive.

nah it just needs that gay little fruit on it and people will buy it..

Well I thought the iPad was going to fail when I forgot the product had zero competition. I think unless AppleTV gets taken in a completely direction away from the competition it will fail.

For your arguement against the rabid anti Apple populace (I'm leaning twords that area too, minus the rabid!) I have to face rabid Apple fan boys at work. My boss who when ever he finds out you are on a windows machine says "enjoy your virsuses, I'm on a mac I don't get those things, never have." I HEAR THAT EVERY DAY, it drives me nuts.

Well I thought the iPad was going to fail when I forgot the product had zero competition. I think unless AppleTV gets taken in a completely direction away from the competition it will fail.

For your arguement against the rabid anti Apple populace (I'm leaning twords that area too, minus the rabid!) I have to face rabid Apple fan boys at work. My boss who when ever he finds out you are on a windows machine says "enjoy your virsuses, I'm on a mac I don't get those things, never have." I HEAR THAT EVERY DAY, it drives me nuts.

lol I'm not a fan of Apple misinformation either. I prefer my Windows machine to a Mac too because it's what I grew up with (DOS and Linux notwithstanding).

I always give all hardware manufacturers a chance to show us what they've got and reserve judgment until after I see the product and reviews regarding them. But even then, some of the rabid anti-Apple people continue to spread FUD regarding whatever faults a product would have (such as tying the bar issue with the antenna issue - they have nothing to do with one another).

I mean, heck, you don't see a Nokia phone that can do one tenth of what an iPhone can do. Why is Apple still being targeted regarding usability? So it doesn't do what you specifically want it to, buy another phone, end of discussion. It doesn't make the iPhone a bad phone. It just makes it not for you.

So the rabid haters don't like how Jobs is treating the antenna problem. Fine. I can't say I do either. Stick with that dislike and stop trying to blow things out of proportions. That's all I'm saying.

But even then, some of the rabid anti-Apple people continue to spread FUD regarding whatever faults a product would have
Spreading FUD about what it WILL have is different then, since it's POSITIVE-FUD?
Speculation is speculation.
The difference is that the negative speculation is actually based on Apple's track record.

I mean, heck, you don't see a Nokia phone that can do one tenth of what an iPhone can do.
O, rly?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3764/two-omap-3430-phones-nokia-n900-and-motorola-droid

Spreading FUD about what it WILL have is different then, since it's POSITIVE-FUD?
Speculation is speculation.
The difference is that the negative speculation is actually based on Apple's track record.

O, rly?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3764/two-omap-3430-phones-nokia-n900-and-motorola-droid

Trust you to miss my point even after I spelled it out. I should have said "certain Nokia phones" to keep it clear. Forget the word Nokia. Put another brand in it's place, any brand. There's always a phone out there, smartphone even, that can't do half what an iPhone can do.

As for the bar and antenna issue, I already said you're blind to it, so there's no point arguing with you about it.

I will admit that while Nokia phones these days don't come off as polished as the iPhone they are definitly awesome phones.

With out Nokia we probably wouldn't have smart phones.

I think unless AppleTV gets taken in a completely direction away from the competition it will fail.
Probably. Even if the new Apple TV is something potentially cool — where maybe you have access to thousands of apps and the hardware is capable — that's still something a lot of consumers aren't necessarily going to be all that attracted to and it's not something that's going to be exclusive to Apple in any capacity. For most, it's an issue of getting content from a given source to their TV and that's where media extenders, media centers and HTPCs come in. If Apple TV does no better at that function than other products on the market, I don't see it attaining iPhone/iPad sales status.

FUD stands for "fear, uncertainty and doubt". It's used within the context of someone attempting to downplay something due to reasons of "fear", "uncertainty" or "doubt". As described by Wikipedia:
FUD is generally a strategic attempt to influence public perception by disseminating negative and dubious/false information designed to undermine the credibility of their beliefs
There is no such thing as "positive FUD".

You did not fulfill my earlier request for a link detailing pricing information and specifications of the new Apple TV, by the way. Why?

I will admit that while Nokia phones these days don't come off as polished as the iPhone they are definitly awesome phones.

With out Nokia we probably wouldn't have smart phones.

Yeah I'll definitely agree with you. I consider Nokia to be the father of all cellphones. My first cellphone was a Nokia 5110.

And similarly, without the iPhone, we'd still be using stylus-touch phones with clunky interfaces such as the early Palm or the HTC Wizard.

Would Google have created Android if iPhones didn't exist? Who knows. Google seems to be in the market of crushing the other guy more than innovation. Maybe they would have made a better stylus phone for all we know. We need to build a sliding machine to observe parallel Earths lol

I more agree with the iPhone comment then disagree, I hated the idea of stylus for a phone interface, but the iPhone was the first touch interface that was implemented well. I still like the blackberry scroll style to touch interfaces with the keyboard access. Thats just my opinion though, theres places for both the scroll and touch screen.

Google would have created android regardless. Look at their direction in software? they have a PC OS, Mobile OS, browser capable of going on mobile devices as well? I think their scope is aimed at take a chunk out of MicroSoft.

Freaking look it up on Wikipedia you Apple fanboy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_android

Freaking read the article you troll.

At the time, little was known about the functions of Android, Inc. other than that they made software for mobile phones.

Nobody said anything about making an operating system. In fact the same article talked about Google wanting to develop search tools for the mobile market in December 2006, and didn't begin filing patent for developing a phone OS until September 2007. Concepts with goals and plans among various phone manufacturers didn't take place until November 2007.

The first iPhone was launched January 2007.

Just because the company name existed and was acquired by Google in 2005 doesn't mean Android OS existed back then.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2005/tc20050817_0949_tc024.htm
"Google Buys Android for Its Mobile Arsenal"

Google buys into WHAT kind of arsenal??? Is that MOBILE??????????

Sorry, if you want to deny Google's purchase didn't signal their intents then you're truly blinded by Jobs' RDF.

I'm banging my head against my desk right now. Your tendency to dance around your statement is getting very fucking ridiculous. We were talking about Android as an OS. You claim that Google had plans for the Android long before anyone heard of the iPhone.

Now it's up to you to show us where Google said they were going to turn Android from simply a software platform into a mobile operating system before we've ever heard of the iPhone. I'll be here all year.

I'm banging my head against my desk right now. Your tendency to dance around your statement is getting very fucking ridiculous. We were talking about Android as an OS. You claim that Google had plans for the Android long before anyone heard of the iPhone.

Now it's up to you to show us where Google said they were going to turn Android from simply a software platform into a mobile operating system before we've ever heard of the iPhone. I'll be here all year.

Did you even read the BW article?
Here's a hint, "says Android had at one point been working on a software operating system for cell phones."

Did you even read the BW article?
Here's a hint, "says Android had at one point been working on a software operating system for cell phones."

Yes I did read that. Now tell me what does that imply? "At one point," long before Google picked them up, right?

They tried, and they failed. They remained as a software developer, not as an OS-maker. Google did not revert Android back to being an OS until much much later after buying them out.

To say that Android made an OS in the context I was telling Trimlock that if it wasn't for the iPhone, touchscreen would probably not be here the way we know it, and for you to say that Android had tried to develop an OS long before iPhone has ever been heard of in the same context is fucking asinine.

You're really reaching. You really think Google dropped $150M without knowing what they did or what they wanted to do with it? :rolleyes:

You're really reaching. You really think Google dropped $150M without knowing what they did or what they wanted to do with it? :rolleyes:

And you know what goes on inside of other people's head? Neat trick. Someday you'll have to show me.

In the meantime I'm going to go by facts:

• iPhone was released January 2007 and Google Android October 2008 on the T-mobile G1 phone with multi-touch disabled.
  • Google Android was unveiled as a mobile device platform on November 2007. iPhone was unveiled on September 2006.

What goes on in people's head is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Hell, I've dreamed of touchscreen monitors since pre-MSDOS days. I guess I'm better than Apple and Google put together! :rolleyes:

In the meantime I'm going to go by facts:

• iPhone was released January 2007 and Google Android October 2008 on the T-mobile G1 phone with multi-touch disabled.
  • Google Android was unveiled as a mobile device platform on November 2007. iPhone was unveiled on September 2006.
Neat fact. Welcome to the iggy list. When you decide to start reading the fucking posts ("release" does not equal "planned") perhaps I'll change my mind.
Google had plans for Android before we even heard about the iPhone.

lol oh noes, Techie's bringing back the "iggy list" in case he loses debates!

haha both of you guys are argueing over semantics, who cares! I think we all agree to some extent that Google would release AndroidOS regardless of the iPhone.

actually the AppleTV is a pretty nice device once you hack it and load XBMC on it... only reason I retired it was due to its inability to playback high bitrate HD content... shame cause it was a nice tiny device

Back