Apple Hires Former Tesla VP Of Vehicle Engineering

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that Tesla and Apple are swapping employees again. Tesla's VP of Vehicle Engineering has been hired by Apple to work on "special projects." Does this mean we can finally confirm Apple is developing the iCar?

Tesla’s senior engineering staff and leadership are full of former Apple directors and VPs, while the Cupertino-based company hired quite a few former Tesla engineers, but rarely any senior leadership… until now. Electrek, in collaboration with our sister-site 9to5Mac, has exclusively discovered and confirmed respectively that Apple hired former Tesla Vice President of Vehicle Engineering and former Aston Martin Chief Engineer, Chris Porritt, to work on “special projects”, and we know that “special projects” is where Apple’s Titan car project lives.

Probably need to upgrade your iCar each year. Only iphones will work while inside the iCar.

iCar? No Thanks.

Proprietary connectors, entertainment system that only syncs to iPhones, supported for 3 years then they expect you to buy a new one, if it crashed they will say you where holding it wrong....

I suspect while they may have a vehicle, I reckon it's being used as a platform to develop the systems and electrics to then push onto manufacturers to shove into their productions.

Lol reminds me of that rage letter Elon musk wrote about how former tesla employees that don't make the cut to work at tesla gets hired by Apple.

iCar? No Thanks.

Proprietary connectors, entertainment system that only syncs to iPhones, supported for 3 years then they expect you to buy a new one, if it crashed they will say you where holding it wrong....

Beats a buggy, ugly and infected Android version by far. Enjoy using your 3+ years old android phone with no OS updates and every vulnerability known to man open in it ;) Not to mention Play store actually hosts some malware on it as we speak.

Beats a buggy, ugly and infected Android version by far. Enjoy using your 3+ years old android phone with no OS updates and every vulnerability known to man open in it ;) Not to mention Play store actually hosts some malware on it as we speak.

I just replaced my 3 1/2 year old Samsung S3. Still worked fine, no bugs or viruses.
Main reason was that T-Mobile declined to upgrade it past 4.3.
Since it's a work phone, I didn't want to be running a rooted phone with an unsupported version. Besides, work paid for the new phone :)

However, unlike Apple, I was able to root the phone and upgrade it to the latest version of Android.
Also, unlike Apple, the phone actually works better/faster than it did under the old OS.
Decided to keep the upgraded S3 as a backup, just incase someone in the family damages their existing phone.

It's impressive to see the amount of monetary and human resources Apple send to be committing this early into this project. If other projects are just as well supported it should be interesting in the near future.

Back