Apple Cinema Display

alexbryant75

Weaksauce
Hey just curious if anyone is using an Apple Cinema Display and if you are what you think of it. I'm considering getting one so your help would be greatly appreciated

I think the majority of folks will tell you that its pretty but you can get a better bang for the buck else where.

unless you really like the design and/or have disposable income, you would be better off going with a dell or such.

As the others have said, they are way overpriced for what they are and their performance.

Many other better monitors for less money on the market.

I bought mine pretty much entirely because of the design, but it's a decent display aside from that. I don't need more than one input or a dedicated scaling engine, so it seems to suit me just fine. I don't notice any particular irregularities (not even ghosting). Suffice to say it's still one of the best PC-related purchases I've ever made.

Now, if you need X feature, and the Cinema Display doesn't have it (pretty much the only feature is brightness control...), then go for something else.

I have owned 2x 20 inch Cinema Displays and 2x 23 inch Cinema Displays, all 4 have had horrible backlight bleeding and if i keep a screen open for longer then 5 minutes then fire up a game or a dvd movie the previous window is burned into the screen. I picked up a 24 inch Dell and never looked back.

i went with a 24in wide dell for home and work and don't regret paying more for the cinema display. Don't have any issues with gaming/coding/etc

Go with a 24/27/30" Dell monitor. The panels are generally the same and the Dells will be more adjustable and notably cheaper.

have the 30" cinema..couldnt be any happier love the monitor for gaming... web developing and photoeditting... one thing i noticed about this monitor is that the white is really white not like blue/white as some samsung or viewsonic monitors i have seen, that even have S-IPS panels... alot of sources say the apple cinemas are calibrated at the fatory and are SWOP certified so when you take it out of the box its pretty much good to go, not sure if this is true or not.

Just pm me if you have any more questions will be glad to answer them :)

I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting for Apple to update their Cinema displays but finally settled for a Dell 2408WFP and a Spyder 3 collaborator. I've never regretted my purchase.

I have to agree with TBONEU the monitor you got is far better then the Cinema, I love my pair of 2408 they are the best I have ever used.

There are better IPS displays out there right now since Apple hasn't updated theirs in a very long time now. NEC is the king at the moment but keep in mind that their top end IPS displays cost even more than Apple's.

alot of sources say the apple cinemas are calibrated at the fatory and are SWOP certified so when you take it out of the box its pretty much good to go, not sure if this is true or not.

They are not, if that was the case why were so many units shipped with yellow then pink tints. Also SWOP means nothing, the defective units were SWOP certified. Apples displays are too old to justify at this point in time, wait until they update before purchasing one.

They are not, if that was the case why were so many units shipped with yellow then pink tints. Also SWOP means nothing, the defective units were SWOP certified. Apples displays are too old to justify at this point in time, wait until they update before purchasing one.
Assuming they ever do update them. They haven't had an update in 16 months, which is an eternity in today's market. Granted Apple are not the fastest-moving company when it comes to product updates, but it would not surprise me if they simply discontinued the ACD after the current generation and replaced it with a 3rd-party offering (ala XServe RAID -> Promise VTrak).
<shrug>

-Brian

Assuming they ever do update them. They haven't had an update in 16 months, which is an eternity in today's market. Granted Apple are not the fastest-moving company when it comes to product updates, but it would not surprise me if they simply discontinued the ACD after the current generation and replaced it with a 3rd-party offering (ala XServe RAID -> Promise VTrak).
<shrug>

-Brian

just to be clear I'm not bashing Apple, there are better displays at the moment i.e. NEC, Eizo etc...

just to be clear I'm not bashing Apple, there are better displays at the moment i.e. NEC, Eizo etc...

Didn't mean to imply you were bashing anyone/thing. Just saying that Apple have let the ACD languish so long that I'd be surprised if they weren't at least considering retiring the product instead of investing resources into releasing an updated ACD.
:(

-I purchased the 30 ACD about a month ago.. So far it has been a perfect companion to my MacBook Pro..

-I do agree with most of the reasons people are saying to go with a Dell.. A calibrated 3007HC would have done just fine for me..

-That said the ACD is verrry pleasing on the eyes and it has been problem free since I bought it..

-That also said I will probably sell it and swing for a Eizo 30 when I finally pull the trigger on a Mac pro..

-I would recommend the Dell unless you have the disposable income for the Apple and really like the looks of it..

I have to agree with what most people have said, if you have a lot of disposable income, yes, a Cinema display is great, but for a lot less money,a Dell 30" would probably be nearly as good in all aspects. And it costs considerably less money. Me? I can't afford either one, so I use a 20" iMac :D

The dell is good however I would'nt say it is photo-editing caliber.

Compared to what. The Apple Cinema displays? Hell, the smaller sized Apple Cinema displays are TN panels....which makes them about as useful as my tooth brush, if you want to play the "photo-editing caliber" game. Also, the Dell in question uses the same panel as the Apple Cinema Display in question.

The Acura CSX and the Honda Civic, mechanically, are identical, but you get leather seats in the Acura. Does that make it faster? No...just like having an aluminum case vs plastic does not make the ACD better for photo-editing than the Dell. It looks prettier, sure. The monitor, not the picture.

So in short, yeah, you're comment doesn't make sense, unless you follow up and say, "but neither is the Apple Cinema Display, since they use the same panel."

Back