• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Apple Cinema Display VS Dell 2001FP?

aironite

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
111
Does the dell 2001fp compete well with the apple cinema display? Which do you think is better?
 
well i'm not familar w/ the dell, but my school has a G5 lab w/ cinema displays (around 35 computers, that lab is pure sex) and I LOVE the styling on the cinema displays, those things are just... unfff!!!! The quality is top notch as well.
 
keep in mind apple's interface is proprietary, apple power the cinemas display with their dvi connection too, so if you want, you're going to have to get a converter plug thing if you want to use it in your standard dvi out card.
 
I have an FP1800 and absolutely love it! It's vibrant.

I have to use the VGA out though, because the Dell's (or at least the one I have) seem to not like high refresh rates on the DVI (60hz only when at 1280x1024).

Manual says it can handle 75hz on 1280x1024, but it's disabled when you click the Microsoft safe-refresh box, so I only get it to 70hz. Which is plenty good for games and such.
 
Flat pannels dont have refresh rates, so it dosn't matter what you set it at. The Apple ones use sony pannels and are extremely overpriced imo. While they have excelent visual quality, their response times are crap, especially compared to the 2001fp. You also have to get an ADC to DVI adapter as the apple pannels use a propriatary interface. This will cost you about $100.
 
plus on the apples, if you dont like the color or other settings on the monitors, youre out of luck.. they are software controlled through the ADC interface.
 
The dell display is better for gaming, but not as good as the Apple as far as tonal and color quality. However there are a lot of better displays than the Apple displays now. They're due for a revamping of the model line.

My general suggestion would be to look elsewhere, particularly for gaming or imaging (photography and whatnot). The response on the Apple display is generally slower than most that are rated at 25ms. Some of their displays are even 40ms I believe (or at least were measured as such). Also it has lower contrast and light output that a lot of newer displays.

I have the pleasure of working on a number of mac workstations which have these displays. They're pretty to look at but not as good compared to the competition as they used to be. Like I said, Id suggest looking elsewhere. I suspect that to keep up they'll bring out something new in this year. They need to.

The dell display has great pixel response for gaming, I've only used one briefly enough to know that. I don't know how their image quality is otherwise, but the price can't be beat, especially if you catch one during a sale. The big problem seems to be the quality control issues related to the uneven backlight issue. The display probably wont' die prematurely since the issue isn't the light itself, but it's a nuisance.
 
I went to CompUSA yesterday and saw the 23" cinema and played Call of Duty on it. I was just in awe. It was amazing. I almost bought it but I thought I would get opinions on the dell 20-incher first.
 
dosn't matter what you set it at. The Apple ones use sony pannels and are extremely overpriced imo. While they have excelent visual quality, their refresh rates are crap, especially compared to the 2001fp.

Let the bashing begin. :rolleyes:

Go here:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread...threadid=728355

Go here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread...threadid=719874

I own this display and game with it. Most questions have been answered about the Apple Cinema 23" it's pixel response time is 25ms, I consider it to be a little better than that after seeing other 25ms displays. Anywho, ADC=DVI adapter is around $40 I think now, not $100. Get caught up son.

plus on the apples, if you dont like the color or other settings on the monitors, youre out of luck.. they are software controlled through the ADC interface.

You won't get the full in depth color adjusting you may want. I get all I need out of ATI's Color tab in the display control panel (actually the way it naturally displays is perfect, don't need to adjust it for my needs but I am no professional graphic artist). But you don't need to adjust screen size or anything like that either. I do great with what I got.
 
Well it looks like apple released new versions of their flat pannels. They used to be over 40ms response time. Regardless, I still stand behind my statement that they are crap compared to the 2001fp. I have both monitors so dont think im bashing. But anyway, I wasn't going to search every corner of the internet for an adapter. Some go for $250, some go for $100. Apple's goes for $100, so i chose that price. You dont have to be a dick about things.
 
You are entitled to your opinion and I will respect that-- which Apple display do you have?

emorphien: They're due for a revamping of the model line.

Yeah, rumor mill is saying things like 30" aluminum brushed frame. Nothing official has been announced but that will be mighty sweet to check out. Perhaps mid-march when they do some new releases on the G5 they will announce the screens for it as well.
 
Yeah, those were their 1st gen screens which were around 40ms. When they came out they kicked ass and now even their 2nd gen are starting become dated as 16ms and lower is becomming more prominant. Now for that 30"....
 
If they go brushed aluminum I'll have to laugh and cry in a way. They're alienating their traditional market, graphics/imaging professionals, by going to displays that psychovisually shouldn't be touched with a 10 ft pole if you're doing any color and tone critical work. It's bad enough they dont' have any good CRTs anymore.

I don't own a Cinema display, I simply wouldn't buy one. I use at least 10 of the things quite frequently. They used to be good, but they can't keep up nowadays, and their technical shortcomings are fact, not opinion.
 
i like the way coofoostu
said pannels dont have refresh rates then in his next sentance he says the apples refresh rate is crap rofl
Drew
 
Originally posted by DruSi3r
i like the way coofoostu
said pannels dont have refresh rates then in his next sentance he says the apples refresh rate is crap rofl
Drew

Sorry I meant response times.
 
im just giving you a hard time. Just get the sammy IMO they make the best panels. (i have the 191t and love it).
 
Could be...I am not sure of it too much anymore- Samsung was very active in the developement in the beginning, I doubt they have completely backed out.


"Samsung Corp. ($100 million investment to help ensure supply of TFT LCDs for Apple portables and other flat-panel displays)."

http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/appleFools.html

PS I am not busting my screen open to find any manufacturer stickers. :D
 
Go with the Dell. Cinema Display = overpriced, old, underspec'd screens. You can get MUCH better for cheaper. Go with an LG or Samsung (or whoever makes it) if you really want the same screen. Even then, you can get better elsewhere.

:)
 
Back
Top