Apple Cinema Display Price Drop

toaster83

n00b
Apple seems to have dropped the prices on their Cinema Displays today. 20-inch is now $799, 23-inch $1499. The 30-inch is still $2999 though. Good timing for me since I will be soon buying a new monitor.

I'm trying to decide between the 20" ACD and the Dell 2005FPW. Now that the ACD is two-hundred bucks cheaper, does that sway anyone who thinks the Dell is the better buy to switch their mind to the Apple now? For the record, I've read the multiple posts comparing the two; just wondering if today's price drop changes any minds. Thanks.

you silly !! garb it grab it grab it!!!!!!!!!! i cant believe in about three months they dropped 500 freakin bucks!! Sweet sweet sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImLazZzy said:
you silly !! garb it grab it grab it!!!!!!!!!! i cant believe in about three months they dropped 500 freakin bucks!! Sweet sweet sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you need a display right now, you might consider the possibility that new displays are coming in June during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, which was where the current line of displays was introduced last year. This is the second price cut since the beginning of the year and I think this latest round is to clear out inventory. I don't have any inside info but in the past, this kind of price cut behavior has often been a sign that new products are coming down the pipeline. I think the fact that the 30" cinema display was not reduced in price indicates that it is not about to be updated; no need because Apple still has the market for this size largely to itself, whereas there are plenty of new monitors and competitors in the 20" and 23/24" areas.

theres actually competition at a cheaper price with dell practically giving away huge lcds

ddarko said:
Unless you need a display right now, you might consider the possibility that new displays are coming in June during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, which was where the current line of displays was introduced last year. This is the second price cut since the beginning of the year and I think this latest round is to clear out inventory. I don't have any inside info but in the past, this kind of price cut behavior has often been a sign that new products are coming down the pipeline. I think the fact that the 30" cinema display was not reduced in price indicates that it is not about to be updated; no need because Apple still has the market for this size largely to itself, whereas there are plenty of new monitors and competitors in the 20" and 23/24" areas.

Yes that may be the case, but I'm sure the price cuts are also due to the competition now imposed by Dell, which is why there is no need for them to cut the 30" display price as there is no competition in that market. Only hope Viewsonic now start slashing the price on their 23" display soon as well.

Another sign that may indicate new Apple displays will be introduced at the World Wide Developers Conference in two weeks is that the new operating system Tiger supports pivoting displays. What are the odds Apple is going to support a feature that third-party hardware takes advantage of but Apple hardware doesn't? I think Apple pivoting displays may be imminent.

Hmm, there are rumors that Apple is about to introduce a Mac tablet. If true, the pivoting function in Tiger is probably for the tablet and not new standalone displays.

Back