Apple Cinema 23" - Confirmed no input lag?

Najeroni

Weaksauce
Anyone have any experience with this concerning this infamous input lag.

I just sent back an Acer 24" because of this problem and am wondering if this is going to be present on the Apple Cinema as well. I am set on getting a large screen and willing to pay the premium for the Apple over what I assume is the exact same HP 23".

All I am interested in is if movement by the mouse is pinpoint, just as would be expected from a laser mouse. Thanks for the help. Any more comments on gaming and what not would be appreciated as well.

are you speaking of input lag or response time lag? If input lag, then the results aren't 100% clear, but there is some evidence that SPVA panels (the 24") show more input lag than SIPS panels. If response time, then both the latest SPVA and SIPS panels are more than adequate for gaming.

The apple 23" is the same panel as the hp L2335. It's a LG panel and is SIPS. It's a little older model wise, but shows little to no input lag and quite acceptable response time lag. Of course, you won't get the great colors that the SPVA gives you. It all depends on what you want. SIPS tend to show banding and have lower contrast in general.

The lag I'm talking about is input, as in the mouse. Say I'm on the desktop and moving the mouse around from the start menu to the close box in the top right corner, I want it to be perfectly smooth. That simple task is failed by the Acer and Samsung 24" and what I'm looking to eliminate.

I have the benq 23", which has the same SIPS panel as the apple and there is no lag on mine. I have seen a few posts on forums who have gone for apple after getting a lag on their existing 24" monitor and they have all said the apple had no lag.

I've got the HP 23 which is also the same panel, with no discernible input lag.

That said, I would not be shocked to find that the input lag on the 24 inch panels is a function of the electronics driving the panel, not the panel itself, and that is the part that differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, even with the same source panel.

larken said:
kamikazechaser: IPS should give superior color to VA panels in general as evidenced here: http://www.prad.de/board/thread.php?threadid=18400

Bunch of people would disagree with that, including me. the spva process tends ot have more accurate colors and less banding. It's just the nature of the panel. If you look at how its made, it should have better color performance. The only issue is the "overdrive" that has now introduced some noise.

Still, to each his own. I prefer IPS panels even with the banding issues and muddy blacks, but I do like the colors of the PVAs. Of course I still like shadow mask instead of aperture grill, too. Hate those damn wires.

eastvillager said:
I've got the HP 23 which is also the same panel, with no discernible input lag.

That said, I would not be shocked to find that the input lag on the 24 inch panels is a function of the electronics driving the panel, not the panel itself, and that is the part that differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, even with the same source panel.

That's what I've been saying as well. I'm anxious to see the 2407 to see if it suffers from the same lag as the 244t.

Dell are currently shipping the 2405FPW A06 revision - these use a slightly different revision (but same spec) panel -the -L02 vs. the -L01.

Unsure as to whether the input lag is there - there's a great deal going on for us Aussies (AU$1020 shipped) and I don't want to buy a lemon again (I bought one last year and sent it back due to input lag)

I have used the Apple Cinema Displays and have not been able to spot any input lag whatsoever unlike the Dell, where it's obvious to me on any of the 2405s I have used. I am pondering an HP L2335 as I am a fan of the LG panels for viewing angle and colour accuracy. Still attached to my Sony G520 though.

To compound the issue, I believe somewhere here said something about the 2001FPW exhibiting similar lag issues (which suggests that is is the electronics driving the panel vs. the panel itself causing the problem).

Has Apple corrected the widespread pink-tint problem with the 23" ACDs? It was prevalent for a long time...

I bought an Apple Cinema 23" two days ago and am loving it. This is after having returned an Acer 24" using the new samsung panels. The apple is excellent, with the input lag nonexistant.

The pink tint isssue has been resolved and I have not seen anything of the sort on my screen. It was manufactured this year after looking up the serial number on the model, so that leads me to believe that all of them are the same.

Najeroni said:
I bought an Apple Cinema 23" two days ago and am loving it. This is after having returned an Acer 24" using the new samsung panels. The apple is excellent, with the input lag nonexistant.

The pink tint isssue has been resolved and I have not seen anything of the sort on my screen. It was manufactured this year after looking up the serial number on the model, so that leads me to believe that all of them are the same.

Enjoy it. I have the older hd 23 inch(with plastic bezel) and have been in love with it. Mine is showing some issues though but hell I got a replacement warranty from compusa that will being used soon. I'll be happy to finally have a power button on mine that works(the one I have is software controller and doesn't work in windows)

Yeah, my power and brightness settings work perfectly with the WINACD 4.5 driver. I even see the post screen when booting up, so if I need to make any bios changes everything is available.

Najeroni said:
Yeah, my power and brightness settings work perfectly with the WINACD 4.5 driver. I even see the post screen when booting up, so if I need to make any bios changes everything is available.

Brightness works on mine but not power but then again mine is a few years old. As far as viewing it on the bios screen I've had no issues running mine on nvidia cards. When I first picked up mine I had done some searching online and found people had better luck running it on a pc with an nvidia card which I bought as my card was messing up anyway. The newer metal cased apple screens support pcs so it shouldn't matter. I just upgraded my system and had a cheap ass x300 pci express card thrown in that my 23 inch hd display would not support at all. Wouldn't work off the bios and I couldn't get it to turn on the display in windows. I ended up picking up a 7600gt overclocked and it worked through everything without issue.

Look, noone buy this obsolete LCd anymore. For the price, go w/ Dell 2405. For superior quality, go w/ Samsung 24" 244T.

Happy Hopping said:
Look, noone buy this obsolete LCd anymore. For the price, go w/ Dell 2405. For superior quality, go w/ Samsung 24" 244T.
I've used both of these monitors. Both of them lag, and the lag is even worse on the Samsung 244T than it is on the Dell 2405FPW.

I've also used the Apple Cinema Display. I can confirm it has virtually no lag when compared with a CRT running at 60 Hz while the Dell and the Samsung lag way behind. The difference is laughable.

Happy Hopping said:

How you figure? The apple lcd works fine. I wouldn't call it obsolete compaired to the dell. Defend you statement.

I've also heard Apple Cinema is famous of having no lag.
It has slower panel as far as I remember 16ms, is that OK for fast FPS games and movies? It probably doesn't have overdrive which means no input lag due to additional processing.
Lastly, is the Apple Cinema 23 comparable to Acer 2423 (6ms Premium-MVA) in terms of picture quality, view angles etc? I'd already have Acer if it had no input lag :(

Can I use Apple Cinema 23 with my PC (DVI) or is it just for MACs?

Found this :(
If you're a fan of RTS or World of Warcraft , the Apple Cinema might do for you. But if you like a steady diet of blowing bad guys away, you'd better look elsewhere. This screen was playable, but remanence was very perceptible.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/08/30/all/page5.html

So it may have no lag, but looks like it's not for FPS games.

Acer 2423W seems to be the fastest 24" LCD with beautiful 6ms P-MVA display, virtually no ghosting, but has ~30ms input lag. It's the fastest amongst 24" LCDs, but still I'm undecided :(

Back