Apple Awarded Patent For Crowd-Sourced Traffic Navigation

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jul 29, 2014.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Another week, another patent granted to Apple. This time around, Apple wants to help you find the shortest route to your nearest Apple store. ;)

2. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

Wait, what? Ooma! Apple, killing innovation one patent at a time.

3. SpDFre@k

SpDFre@k n00b

They went after stop lights and stop signs specifically. Must be trying to combat Waze with GPS based traffic flow and crowd sourced traffic input for route generation. Stop lights and stop signs is the next step to make that "time to destination" even more accurate.

4. Ducman69

LMAO, thanks SpD freak, I actually meant Waze (the GPS app), not Ooma (the phone service). Got my weird names mixed up.

5. Taldren

Taldren Gawd

Uh, how the F*** does Apple get a patent for something that Waze has been doing for years?

6. jimmyb

jimmyb 2[H]4U

Did you even read the patent to understand what is being claimed?

7. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

I loath apple and their fanatics, however I don't hold their patents against them, they are working in a broken system. It won't be corporations that brings America to its knees but the broken patent system and its trolls.

8. forcefed

forcefed Gawd

No one reads this stuff...

[​IMG]

9. bloodhawke83

bloodhawke83 I Strike Fear into the Hearts of the Masses

Google Maps on my phone has been doing this since it came out on Moto Droid 1 (2009)

10. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

I use Apple Maps while listening to Beats Headphones. I rule.

11. vsboxerboy

vsboxerboy 2[H]4U

The real meat and potatoes is this:

It's not broadly to detect congestion and traffic in a crowd sourced manner, but specifically to determine where there are stop lights and signs on the roads.

12. Insula Gilliganis

Insula Gilliganis [H]ard|Gawd

Steve LOVES pointing out any time Apple gets a patent granted on something he feels is just stupid and/or unpatentable, Apple is just using the system like any other company does. Leo Laporte has often stated on "Macbreak Weekly" that Apple's army of lawyers go around Apple trying to find things that they feel can be patented. But even with this "army", Apple in 2013 ranked only 13th in amount of patents. Samsung, Microsoft and Google all ranked higher. But, apparently to Steve, only Apple's are worth mocking (or he just likes pandering to his audience)

Here is some equal time..

10 Weird Patents That Google Owns

Microsoft wins ‘virtual skywriting’ patent
    Microsoft Patents the Holodeck

Gee Steve.. can't find any mention by you on these two Microsoft patents.. wonder why

13. Phoenix333

Phoenix333 2[H]4U

Someone needs to find a way to build a subspace radio so we can contact the Klingons and tell them that the US patent office has insulted their honor. Maybe they'll warp on over and photon torpedo the patent office and put an end to this madness. Then we can sit around head-butting each other, drinking warnog, eating gagh, and celebrating a great victory and successful first contact. Anyone with me on this?

14. MrCrispy

MrCrispy 2[H]4U

If murder is legalized, that doesn't mean its ok to go around killing people.

Apple has been getting laughable patents and using them to fight companies that actually innovate. Its their entire modus operandi. And their lobbyists and shills pay huge amounts to the USPTO to ensure its awarded these bogus patents.

15. Ducman69

I dunno, there are some people that America could do without, and I'd give the thumbs up to. I think America agrees too, which is why Dexter was such a popular show. :D

16. SGA76

SGA76 [H]ard|Gawd

Dexter needed an episode where he went to Apple HQ.