Apple Approves 'Only Gay Social App for Ages 12 and Up'

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple has approved Distinc.tt, a gay social App designed for readers as young as 12 to be carried by the iTunes Store. The App features a wide variety of social networking for ‘trendsetting’ crowds all designed to be in excellent taste and suitable for children ages as young as 12 and up.

"the only app that combines social networking, event ticketing, attendee visibility, location-based services, and hot-spot locating with predictability and in real time."

Whilst I do get the potential for misuse I think it's probably more important for young gay people (than for straight people) to have access at an early age to a social network of people in a similar position. I'm sure there are many that can't look to their family or friends for support at that age, and if something can alleviate the isolation some feel then I say it's worth the risk.

kids under 18 should not have smartphones period. they should have a dumb phone and live life w/o mass media turning them into zombies and for girls the next star on 16 and pregnant

Yet another reason you'll want to check to see what brand of cellphone your babysitter is packing.

ID that's directed at me, then I suggest you look up pedophilia. Just cause the masses misuse the word doesn't change the definition.

Pedo van just passed your house.

OP- this app would be fine if it weren't directed at minors.

ID that's directed at me, then I suggest you look up pedophilia. Just cause the masses misuse the word doesn't change the definition.

Obviously people seem to think that you're condoning boning 12 year olds, which probably isn't the case.

There's a big difference in getting a boner from a 17.5 year old, than from a 9 year old. I think your point was that the same term shouldn't be used for each one.

Pedo van just passed your house.

OP- this app would be fine if it weren't directed at minors.

free+candy+van.jpeg

Obviously people seem to think that you're condoning boning 12 year olds, which probably isn't the case.

There's a big difference in getting a boner from a 17.5 year old, than from a 9 year old. I think your point was that the same term shouldn't be used for each one.

There are separate terms, one is Paedophilia and the other is Statutory Rape... both are awful.

Also reading up on the app, I don't see anything wrong here. The app isn't targeted at younger audiences, it's simply safe to use for young people (it's not Grindr).

Yes, I was protesting the misuse of the word. I also question whether anyone would have brought up the Pedo9000 if this was a social app for One Direction, which probably has a lock on 8-13 (mostly female) demo (though I suppose older kids might still listen to these types of bands too).

My guess is if it was an app for that band, we'd just make fun of the music itself.

Cool name, bro. I mean, putting a period and an extra "t" makes it so much cooler.

I'm taking it no one has made the Catholic priest/ alter boys jokes yet out of good taste and fear of some kind of backlash?
*insert offensive joke of your choosing here*
You're welcome.

You mean aside from the fact that most 12 year olds have entered puberty?

Well, it's probably more correct to say that most girls are starting to mature by then. Boys really don't reach adulthood until they're about 25 and even then, a lot of them still act like children. Just look at how they drive on busy streets even when they get older. :(

So in your world, any social app directed at minors is bad?

Understand the phrase "unintended consequences". If the creators of this app DO NOT have a document which outlines the potential harm based upon each feature and the probability of that harm occurring, they are just going to get destroyed when lawsuits start coming; and they will.

The homophobia is strong with this forum.

It's an app for people who happen to be gay. It's not a dating or "hook up" app. The 12 year old safe part is precisely because it is not intended as a hook up app.

So easily people use the homophobia card... either you like and support gays and lesbians or you are automatically an homophobic, geez :rolleyes:

It's an app for people who happen to be gay. It's not a dating or "hook up" app. The 12 year old safe part is precisely because it is not intended as a hook up app.
social networking, event ticketing, attendee visibility, location-based services, and hot-spot locating

Yeah doesn't sound like a hook up app at all.

The sexual orientations of 12yr olds shouldn't be embraced/encouraged imo. At this point I believe that society (and by that I mean popular media) is actively pushing being gay as "cool" and I suspect that there are many kids simply latching on to the title not understanding the weight of it. While I'm sure there are some clearly gay children out there looking for a place to socialize; I would hope a good parent would take a deeper look into their children's lives + behavior before helping them determine "yep, you're gay".

No it's not. Just because you don't condone it, doesn't mean you have a phobia. This thinly-veiled attempt at shutting people up is pathetic.

You need to not only look at it's intended purpose, but also at it's possible abuses.

Well, it's probably more correct to say that most girls are starting to mature by then. Boys really don't reach adulthood until they're about 25 and even then, a lot of them still act like children. Just look at how they drive on busy streets even when they get older. :(

I know that's the socially acceptable line, but as I get older, I realize that for every guy that's stuck mentally at age 15, there's a woman who is mentally still a 14 year old middle school girl. It's jsut different. One side is all "woo watch me do stupid shit" and the other is basically about being a social horror at other people's expense and sugar coating it. Give them 40-50 years of dealing with the consequences of their actions, and they might have the skills to make better decisions on the things they suffered the consequences of. Which basically does nobody any useful good.

Rigggghhhhhhttttttttt....... I gotcha. People have concerns because it does location stuff, but it's not a hookup thing. I'm 12, gay and misunderstood. If a pedophile wanted a target, right there is a HUGE one. Underage? No location is listed. I see a potential for misuse, definitely not homophobic.

Then everything ever needs to be judged by the same measure.

Uh... yeah. That's what I'm saying isn't it?

I'm sure some of the architects of the Patient Deflection and Unaffordable Care Act actually wanted to help uninsured people and not their buddies in the insurance industry, but the intention hasn't quite matched up with the consequences has it?

Zuckerberg never meant for Facebook to be used as a hookup tool for pedophiles, but it has hasn't it?

Torrents are meant to share information and data, not necessarily copyrighted data, but there are millions upon billions of bytes of copyrighted data flowing from computer to computer right now.

I'm not saying the app shouldn't exist, but the creators and those that endorse it need to consider the potential abuses when opening it up to kids under the age of 18.

Rigggghhhhhhttttttttt....... I gotcha. People have concerns because it does location stuff, but it's not a hookup thing. I'm 12, gay and misunderstood. If a pedophile wanted a target, right there is a HUGE one. Underage? No location is listed. I see a potential for misuse, definitely not homophobic.

So how is this different from any other social media app?

You ASSUME that gay people are more likely to be pedophiles without any evidence other than pre conceptions. That is what I mean by homophobia - people are irrationally equating homosexuals with sexual predators.

going to have to watch the Metrosexual episode of South Park again. :D
As for the app, time will tell as more people use it. THEN we can see what the consequences are. (Decent app or pedo-magnet?)

Back