Apple Appeals EU Tax Ruling

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think we all knew this was coming. "Convenient target" or not, it's not like Apple was just going to cough up $14 billion without a fight.

Apple has launched a legal challenge to a record $14 billion EU tax demand, arguing that EU regulators ignored tax experts and corporate law and deliberately picked a method to maximize the penalty, senior executives said. Apple's combative stand underlines its anger with the European Commission, which said on Aug. 30 the company's Irish tax deal was illegal state aid and ordered it to repay up to 13 billion euros ($13.8 billion) to Ireland, where Apple has its European headquarters.

Ya, not really surprised and I wouldn't be surprised if we keep reading about this for the next 5 years with no money changing hands.

This is about apple skirting the issue of paying taxes all over the planet. We are constantly reading about how Ireland fits into the tax scheme of things. So many large tech companies have set up shop in Ireland so as not to have to pay their fair share. Hopefully they come back to the US with the new pres-elect promising a fairer corporate tax and leniency if they do.

This is about apple skirting the issue of paying taxes all over the planet. We are constantly reading about how Ireland fits into the tax scheme of things. So many large tech companies have set up shop in Ireland so as not to have to pay their fair share. Hopefully they come back to the US with the new pres-elect promising a fairer corporate tax and leniency if they do.
Hahahah,, hohohoh... hhiiiihihihihi..... heheheh... oh,, oh suuuuuuure, abolish corporate tax, the new word on the street.. ehheheh

Oh yeah, I'm sure that will happen. I've never understood this logic at all. The goal of corporations now is to make money, that's pretty much it. The only way they would bring money back to the USA voluntarily would be if the tax rate was lower than the manipulations they can pull off in Ireland, which is already so low, it's performed by many major corporations around the world.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that will happen. I've never understood this logic at all. The goal of corporations now is to make money, that's pretty much it. The only way they would bring money back to the USA voluntarily would be if the tax rate was lower than the manipulations they can pull off in Ireland, which is already so low, it's performed by many major corporations around the world.
Nope, the way to get them to pay, whatever we want, 99% if we felt like it (with a proper non-corrupt government), is to pull the veil of protection provided my our military and high finances.
Overnight, they can say bye-bye to all their 'profits'.

Well that's why I said voluntarily. If we change the terms of engagement, there's no limit to what we can't enforce. I doubt we'll see a hell of a lot of that though, we've had a bought and paid for democracy for some time now, just slightly different flavors.

Ya, not really surprised and I wouldn't be surprised if we keep reading about this for the next 5 years with no money changing hands.

Five years seems a bit optimistic. Not to mention no money changing hands. Plenty of money will change hands, just not 14 billion dollars.

I don't approve of how much they overcharge the brainwashed fanboys and girls, that think Apple is the second coming. Hope the EU gets it all.

Last edited:
Five years seems a bit optimistic. Not to mention no money changing hands. Plenty of money will change hands, just not 14 billion dollars.

I don't see any money going to the EU for the fine during the court hearings. Maybe some bribes and such, sure. Also yes, 5 years is a bit optimistic, just throwing out a number. I figured 10+ years is more the reality. I think the MS monopoly court battle went on for like 20 years. Of course, was just a cash grab by the EU. Almost $1 bil going into the EU budget and not dispersed to those affected by the anti-competitive practices.

Back