Apple Accounts for 51% of Devices as Christmas Gifts

I took the plunge for a descent and relatively inexpensive tablet. Want a 8" android, with a fast graphics SoC. Got a HP Slate PRO 8 with a Tegra4 was $220.
About the best your are gonna get unless you pay $300+ for a Tegra K1 device.

It lasted the total of 2 hrs of use after charging for several hrs.
Shipped it back for a refund. :(
Decided to wait till the K1 devices get more affordable.

Tegra is crap from my experience. For $200 (was ~$131 at Microcenter) the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4" with Snapdragon 800 is a great option.

I lucked out on a new 14nm Broadwell fanless touch screen plus wacom pen windows tablet that is pretty awesome. Not quite as nice as Surface Pro 3 but at half the cost it's a no brainer and professional software availability is superior to Android and iOS.

I spent 2 years wishing I had an android phone. Once I act got one I returned it in less than a week. Android has some problems, they need to get rid of the carrier apps and control the software like apple. If not, at least let people remove shit apps. Android needs to offer more premium nexus experiences. My droid turbo was "lean" for android but full of shit apps in my opinion. My droid also had at least 2 hardware issues that were pathetic for a higher end device in 2014.

There really aren't any shit apps on my iPhone and the ones I don't care for at least aren't running all the time by default and don't take up a lot of room.

I really didn't want to go back to some but honestly at least my phone works 100% without any issues.

I lucked out on a new 14nm Broadwell fanless touch screen plus wacom pen windows tablet that is pretty awesome. Not quite as nice as Surface Pro 3 but at half the cost it's a no brainer and professional software availability is superior to Android and iOS.

So what did you get? Sounds like a Helix.

You are not setup for the system so of course it is a hassle for you. But that "system" that you despise so much offers some incentives that the free-form system you use does not. ITunes allows for consistency across multiple devices and platforms. Whether it be a computer, music players, cell phone, tablet, or TV. I do not have to make separate lists and allocations for each one. I have one centralized point of operation and everything feeds back to that.

You are also starting with a different container and that is the issue you are seeing. Maybe you are downloading free stuff of the Internet, who knows. But if you started out with MP4 movies and AAC (lossless even) you wouldn't have that issue. I rip all my own content, so for me there is not a problem.

I can buy a song on my phone and it shows up on my main computer at home as well as my work computer. In reverse I can upload my own music (no iTunes purchase) on one of the computers and it gets pushed to my phone.

It's the integration that people enjoy. Once you are setup for it, it works very well.
True. I rip to 320kps mp3s. If I buy digital I buy music from Google and load onto my iPhone via iTunes. Works fine and then I'm not buying proprietary.

I have a small flac collection that I converted to apple losses. Took just a few minutes.

For video, I just stream everything.

I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 on sale after Christmas. For right around $500 I now have a 75GB tablet for the price of a 16GB iPad Air. The iPad would be a little bit quicker at some stuff but a 64GB version is about $100 more.

Did you check Craigslist? I see the 10.5 Tab S going new sealed for $300 - 350 and almost got one myself. Real life performance isn't too different but Android is less limiting and more versatile than iOS but both still behind Windows for even consumption as they can't touch full desktop Chrome with Adblock Plus and built-in flash.

Thanks. ;) I was looking pretty hard at the 2nd gen Helix before I picked up the SP3. I do like the falness design of the Helix.

That's one of the big pluses of Helix2. You never have to worry about dust clogging the inaccessible fan and igpu performance throttled is better, sometimes up to 2-3x, than i5 throttled with active fan but most everything else is a tad better on SP3 but I'd take two Helix2 for the price of one SP3. ;)

The amount of sheep I saw herded inside the Apple store here in Seattle after Christmas, I can concur that

Did you check Craigslist? I see the 10.5 Tab S going new sealed for $300 - 350 and almost got one myself. Real life performance isn't too different but Android is less limiting and more versatile than iOS but both still behind Windows for even consumption as they can't touch full desktop Chrome with Adblock Plus and built-in flash.

Up here (Canada - 4hrs East of Vancouver) there's nothing used worth getting. Older tab3 and tab4 tablets for $350ish and iPad 2 - 4 for $350-500 depending on the storage. IMO not even close to be worth it. I'd rather spend the extra and have a new superior device with some warranty.

There's almost no used market for Windows devices.

Back