• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Apple 30 inch display = drool

revenant

[H]F Squad Captain
2FA
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
17,159
I just saw this one for the first time last night @ Comp-ooosa and wow... staggeringly wonderful... whew.. it goes to 2560 x 1600 !! I doubt any games support that res yet... but you'll need a pair of G70's to pimp that res with eye candy...

tech specs here:
http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html
 
I noticed at my Compusa the 30inch wasn't at the usually spot, I didn't wonder back there to see if they moved it or got rid of it.

If you ever get one you'll also need to invest in a larger mousepad just to get across the screen with cursor.
 
revenant said:
it goes to 2560 x 1600 !! I doubt any games support that res yet... but you'll need a pair of G70's to pimp that res with eye candy...


From what I've read there aren't any <affordable> PC video cards yet that can even support that resolution, only the Mac compatible video cards.

Not even the Intel & Apple news can take away my lust for a G5 and 30" come next tax return :D
 
westrock2000 said:
From what I've read there aren't any <affordable> PC video cards yet that can even support that resolution, only the Mac compatible video cards.

Not even the Intel & Apple news can take away my lust for a G5 and 30" come next tax return :D
workstation cards can, there's an ibm lcd monitor that has 9 megapixels of resolution, although it costs $7000.
 
from what I've read there aren't any <affordable> PC video
No, the DELL 6800 GTO has DL DVI.
If the G70 consumer boards will support DL DVI I would be very pleased. But I don´t believe that SLI mode will work. The current consumer 6800 PCI-E boards have a bandwith limited SLI bridge. Even with hacked Quadro drivers you are limited to 1920x1200 -also if your card should have DL DVI or you plan to drive your CRT @2048x1536 for example. Only the QuadroFX 3400/4400 are supporting >1920x1200 in SLI mode.

Denis
 
1) No video card Under $800 supports it.

2) No Apple Display supports SLI.

It really is drool worthy as a desktop and artists display.
 
...and why not a 243T? I'd much rather go with a Samsung display than a Dell display if I could afford it, but you get what you pay for there...
 
No video card Under $800 supports it
No, as I said before: The DELL 6800 GTO has the second TMDS transmitter => DualLink DVI. And it doesn´t cost 800$. I paid 300 Euro for my card in March.

The 7800 nVidia cards will be out for sale soon, eVGA says:
- 1 Dual Link TMDS DVI Connector
- 1 Single Link TMDS DVI Connector
I hope that this is true.

Denis
 
swoop56 said:
1) No video card Under $800 supports it.

2) No Apple Display supports SLI.

It really is drool worthy as a desktop and artists display.

why would the display need to support SLI? I thought as long as your video card is SLI capable, then that's it.

Can I get a 2nd opinion on this?
 
Happy Hopping said:
why would the display need to support SLI? I thought as long as your video card is SLI capable, then that's it.

Can I get a 2nd opinion on this?

If the card supports SLI AND has the second TMDS, then it *should* work. Unknown hardware limitations and driver quirks could prevent this- you'll just have to try it and see :) (and let us know if it works)
 
I was intrigued by the idea of someone selling a non-pro card with outputs for the high resolution DVI displays, and went digging on Dell's site- only to find that the 6800 GTO *was* a part offered on products that no longer exist (but you can still customize them?) and is NOT selectable as an option when you try. SO, where might you get one of these?
 
IdiotInCharge said:
If the card supports SLI AND has the second TMDS, then it *should* work. Unknown hardware limitations and driver quirks could prevent this- you'll just have to try it and see :) (and let us know if it works)
The problem is the bridge limitation. As I said: Even with the newest drivers the consumer cards are limited in SLI mode whatever output you use (D-Sub or DVI). We asked nVidia Germany and they said that there is a bandwith limitation. So even if you have for example the GTO card you won´t be able to go to 2560x1600 in SLI mode. That´s why I cancelled my order for a second GTO.
We have two users @www.3dcenter.de who tested the limitation with their cards. One user has a T221 and two QuadroFX 4400 - 3840 x 2400 were possible with the latest drivers in SLI mode. An other user has the FW900 (2 6800U cards) and tried to go up to 2304 x 1440. Without SLI - no problem. I´ve just noticed that with the latest drivers he was able to get 2304x1440 even with SLI enabled...but only 60Hz => so there is a bandwith problem. Because 2560x1600@60Hz needs even more bandwith I don´t believe that there is a chance to go this way.

Denis
 
Sailor_Moon said:
We have two users @www.3dcenter.de who tested the limitation with their cards. One user has a T221 and two QuadroFX 4400 - 3840 x 2400 were possible with the latest drivers in SLI mode.
Denis

At what freq.?
 
When talking about bandwidth limitations with the GF6 series, I wonder if they fixed the limitation with the GF7? With the rare information, it'll probably take someone testing them to find out- so who want's to do it!
 
Back
Top