Apple 30" Display - Pink Noise Problem?

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
I've done tons of searching around the internet to find any sort of answer regarding why this might be occurring, but simply came up short.

So what's going on? This display has been working fine for over a year now, running off of an 8800 GTX. Within the past few months there's been an increasing amount of random digital noise (for lack of a better term) that will either take over the screen for awhile, or flicker for a bit then disappear.. I can typically still see my desktop through the noise.

My first thought was that my video card was going out, but some things which sometimes temporarily fix the problem are switching DVI ports on the video card, unplugging and plugging the monitor back into the SAME DVI port, and unplugging and plugging in my monitor's power.

Typically i'd just get a new display and be done with it, but this thing was spendy, lol.

Any info y'all have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bump, and a little more info: Don't know how i forgot to mention that the noise that i'm experiencing is typically pink in color. Googeling has lead me to believe that other people experience this same thing, but it's green...?

don't know if this helps >_<

tried the monitor on another computer? or tried a different video card? tried a different cable? without doing those things not much troubleshooting can be done...

Earlier Apple Cinema displays had a problem with pink tint developing after many hours of use. I remember when I worked at CompUSA a few of our 23" and one of our 30" cinema displays turned pink after about 5-6 months of being on 12hrs a day.

In the old days, this would be due to a bad cable or loose VGA connector.
If it happens with both DVI ports, I'd be inclined to believe it's the screen or cable. You should test it on another computer like Haste266 says.

I used to have an Apple Cinema 30" for couple of years, and yes I did experience the "Green Dancing Pixels" from time to time, but all I had to do was turn off the monitor and back on real quick to get rid of it. If you turn off and on your monitor is the "Pink Noise" still there?

I have seen this problem before. My friends 30" Samsung LCD had the same problem but with red. It was on the left side of the screen and only show up during random desktop walls. This is how he fixed it....he sent it back for a refund

Back