Apple 30" Cinema Display: still viable?

Redshirt #24

2[H]4U
So I have the opportunity to buy a three-year-old Apple 30" Cinema HD Display locally for a smidgen under $700 (I'm not quite able to go above that for a newer monitor yet). It's seemingly in good shape with no screen issues, though the one annoyance is that it doesn't come with a stand...which means buying a VESA bracket and a new stand or desk mount. That aside, everything I've read about the monitor seems to be years old and oddly noncommittal; I would be using it for everything from web browsing to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and I'd like to know if it's still considered safe for these things for lack of a better phrase. :confused:

So I have the opportunity to buy a three-year-old Apple 30" Cinema HD Display locally for a smidgen under $700 (I'm not quite able to go above that for a newer monitor yet). It's seemingly in good shape with no screen issues, though the one annoyance is that it doesn't come with a stand...which means buying a VESA bracket and a new stand or desk mount. That aside, everything I've read about the monitor seems to be years old and oddly noncommittal; I would be using it for everything from web browsing to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and I'd like to know if it's still considered safe for these things for lack of a better phrase. :confused:

If you have $700 to spend, then why wouldn't you just go with Eyefinity? You would have far more space than that overpriced 30" and would be way more fun/cool.

Here's what I'm getting soon,

Three, 23" Hann's HD LCD's, which comes to $509.97 with free shipping, and an active display port adapter $107 + shipping. Comes to around $620-630. Cheaper then that 30" in, bigger display (5670x1080), and are brand new. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't say I haven't thought about it (and still am), though I definitely don't have enough desk for three monitors. Going from a 28" TN monitor to a 30" IPS monitor is doable. Also, I'm kind of getting annoyed with my TN monitor's wacky color shift depending on viewing angles. And since nearly every cheap monitor now is TN...ow.

Its a fantastic monitor and for 700 thats a total deal but keep in mind for gaming its going to suck. Its got 16ms response time and thats only gray to gray .. which translates to kinda lousy for PC games . For everything else Its just top shelf.

I got to see this monitor up close and personal earlier...the owner ran Call Of Duty: World At War on it for a few minutes, and it didn't appear to have any issues with that. Albeit it was just a static zombie level and there wasn't too much flying around, but I at least didn't pick up any serious ghosting issues or so on.

Due to a small comedy of errors, though, I was able to get the monitor for $620. Even I couldn't pass that up. :D Now I just need a cheap desk mount/stand for the thing...

I got to see this monitor up close and personal earlier...the owner ran Call Of Duty: World At War on it for a few minutes, and it didn't appear to have any issues with that. Albeit it was just a static zombie level and there wasn't too much flying around, but I at least didn't pick up any serious ghosting issues or so on.

Due to a small comedy of errors, though, I was able to get the monitor for $620. Even I couldn't pass that up. :D Now I just need a cheap desk mount/stand for the thing...

Nice dude , be sure to snap some sexy shots of it in action if you can :)

You got a great deal for such a fantastic monitor , not everyone is as sensitive to ghosting as the next person so its good you don't mind it for gaming.

Enjoy :)

Back