Apple 27" Cinema Display with PC/360

Light1984

Gawd
Hi all. I am contemplating whether to purchase an ACD 27". I saw the display in person at BB and it is the only thing that comes close in quality (IMO) to my NEC 20WMGX2. I like the glossy screens, colors are more rich (again IMO). If I were to get a ACD 27" which converter would be better: an Atlona hdmi to mini-DP or DVI-D to mini-DP.

DVI-D to mini-DP
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Dual-Link-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-USB-Powered.html

HDMI to mini-DP
http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-TO-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-SCALER-AND-SWITCHER.html

I wont be using the display for sound, so that doesn't really matter, however, is there going to be any quality difference between HDMI and DVI-D and would HDMI be more future proof?

Thanks,
Josh

HDMI will be around for a while still as its the most widely used format for HD in general and HDMI isn't bandwidth limited like DVI is. DVI-D on the other hand is a dieing format , very slowly but dieing so in terms of future proofing the HDMI is the better solution.

Hey Josh,

One thing to remember is that the Apple LED Cinema Display 27" only accepts 2 input resolutions: 720p and 1440p. It doesn't accept 1080p. For PCs this is a non-issue as all modern video cards can scale resolutions independently of the monitor. For consoles, things get a bit tricky. If you use the Atlona DP-400 with an XBOX360, you will get no video unless the 360 is set to 720p. The Atlona AT-HD620 actually upconverts any HDMI source to 1440p, allowing you to use the 360 at 1080p. The only downside is that the upconversion process creates some very minor video loss. There is actually a large discussion on these two devices here complete with screenshots: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=806175&page=40, and most posters seem to agree that the AT-HD620 is unbeatable in terms of quality.

The Apple Displays are really only an upgrade in size and resolution, the NEC has perfect motion and low input lag, the Apple displays are more like 5ms TNs vs 2ms performance on the NEC. Black level is only slightly better on the Apples, but still far behind the current average.

I understand the need for a Glossy display, (I use one as well) but for the price I would say the your paying a huge premium for an inferior gaming product.

The best alternative is the new Eizo Foris FS2311 as the AG coating is very light compared your typical AG coated screen. It has accurate color presents, low input lag and extremely deep blacks leading to very rich colors. You can set the brightness high enough so the dirty white syndrome is no longer visible, while still retaining a black level 75% deeper then the Apple can produce.

The Apple Displays are really only an upgrade in size and resolution, the NEC has perfect motion and low input lag, the Apple displays are more like 5ms TNs vs 2ms performance on the NEC. Black level is only slightly better on the Apples, but still far behind the current average.

I understand the need for a Glossy display, (I use one as well) but for the price I would say the your paying a huge premium for an inferior gaming product.

The best alternative is the new Eizo Foris FS2311 as the AG coating is very light compared your typical AG coated screen. It has accurate color presents, low input lag and extremely deep blacks leading to very rich colors. You can set the brightness high enough so the dirty white syndrome is no longer visible, while still retaining a black level 75% deeper then the Apple can produce.

The credibility of your post stopped after you said Apple had TN displays... which they don't.

I don't think he was saying that the ACD has a TN panel, I think he was just making a performance comparison with regards to speed.

Anyways, thanks for the posts everyone, I will check out the suggestions and read the reviews on the Atlona products.

Josh

ok, heres another question. I just read that HDMI will not do 2560 x 1440. So does that mean if I use HDMI with my PC that I that I would have to run at 1920 x1080 and then let the Atlona box upscale? If that is the case, then I would need to go with the DVI-D to mini-DP. The PC is more important than the xbox.

The credibility of your post stopped after you said Apple had TN displays... which they don't.

NCX hates ips displays so he always tries to make a point in nearly any thread talking about ips panels of talking about either TN panels being better or PVA.

Either way it relates nothing to what the OP asked which was a question regarding up scaling the resolution via a third party scaler and which port would be of better use.

ok, heres another question. I just read that HDMI will not do 2560 x 1440. So does that mean if I use HDMI with my PC that I that I would have to run at 1920 x1080 and then let the Atlona box upscale? If that is the case, then I would need to go with the DVI-D to mini-DP. The PC is more important than the xbox.

Correct. HDMI can do that resolution in terms of its not a lack of bandwidth but for some reason current generation ports just don't allow it. You will be forced to run at 1920x1080. If you plan in using it more for the PC than get the DVI-D to mini-DP without question.

Just trying to help a fellow glossy fan and owner.

The Apple displays are not meant for gaming, especially console gaming.

Paying a massive premium for a non gaming display meant for casual PC/Mac use only with consoles in mind is not money well spent, especially when the OP is coming from one of the best gaming panels ever made.

While slightly off topic the monitor I suggested absolutely destroys the image quality of the Apple displays acording to the professionals.

I was comapring the Applw displays speed to that of a 5ms TN, which is accurate.

Thanks Gents (or Ladies as the case may be) for all the input. It is good to know there are a lot of options out there.

Just trying to help a fellow glossy fan and owner.

The Apple displays are not meant for gaming, especially console gaming.

I don't know what they are "meant" to be used for, but I use the ACD 27" for Black Ops and WoW and have absolutely zero ghosting or lag issues. FYI, I play FPS shooters competitively in a ranked clan.

Don't blow money on one of those stupid Atlona converters. You're much better off getting a AMD card that has a MiniDP adapter built into it.

I don't know what they are "meant" to be used for, but I use the ACD 27" for Black Ops and WoW and have absolutely zero ghosting or lag issues. FYI, I play FPS shooters competitively in a ranked clan.

My thoughts exactly. I use my ACD27" to play Dead Space, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Fallout: New Vegas, and StarCraft 2. Quite frankly, it's the best PC gaming monitor I've ever used. And thanks to the HD620, getting a console is always on the table.

To be honest I am kind of an Nvidia fan boy. I know they have a couple of DP cards from Zotac, but nothing from the 5xx series. The best solution is as you guys said, just get a card that has DP out. Thanks for the impressions on FPS gaming, that is what I do mostly and what I intend for this monitor. Maybe I will just run the Atlona converter for a little while until Evga/Nvidia come out with a card. Here is a thought though, do you guys think Apple or someone else for that matter might be coming out with something similar in the near (3-6 month) future? I know nothing about Apple product life cycle, but I wouldn't want to buy something now and then have a better product come out in a few months. I plan on building a new rig when Bulldozer hits. It would be nice to upgrade my display now and not have to worry about that down the road. I realize that if you wait, there will always be something better down the road, but I would like to purchase at the beginning of a products introduction. Here's for hoping someone comes out with a 24+ inch, IPS, glossy screen, high pixel density display.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
To be honest I am kind of an Nvidia fan boy.

I've always been an nVidia fanboy myself. Been buying nVidia exclusively since the GeForce Ti 4400. That being said, starting with the Radeon 6000 series, it seems AMD has completely scrapped the old ATi Catalyst Control Panel and retooled the drivers from the ground up with a brand new UI. Plus you've got mDP --- I'm really tempted to "switch".

The 27" Cinema Display was just released this summer. Considering Apple generally only updates their displays once ever 2-3 years, I wouldn't except an update anytime soon.

Again NCX is just stating his belief in TN panels being better at nearly everything. IPS panels are great for gaming and I don't understand from my point of view his hate for them in gaming.

@Ashok0

I am with you, the price point of the new 6000 series is ridiculous. I may just get 2 to run the ACD. That is nice to hear about the drivers. I never really kept up with it, but that was kind of the rumor I have always heard. Whether it was true or not, I don't know.

@Liekomg

Thanks, that is good to know. Saves me from having to do more research. Looks like the best bet is to go AMD and ACD for now.

I will keep yall posted as to what Christmas brings and hopefully I will have a new build together shortly thereafter. Thanks again everyone for your input. I appreciate you all very much.

Right now the 6950 is really the card to beat. Excellent price and huge value plus mini-dp on the card ready to go. Perfect for what you need dude.

Back