Apple 24" LED-backlit IPS Cinema Display with DisplayPort ($899)?

Apple Store let me hook up my Macbook Pro and test it out. I can't say enough how gorgeous the image quality is on this display.

Also, I tested for output lag by playing some Quake 3. I could detect none whatsoever (and I'm very picky and sensitive to such things) - so this display passes that test as well.

The only potential problem may be that the connector cables are very short. It seems like Apple intends for the laptop to be on your desk along with this display. Anyone (like me) wanting to put the computer elsewhere may need extension cables.
unibody macbook pro?
is there an adapter for laptops/video cards with DVI yet?

Unibody (late 2008) Macbook Pro, yes. Unfortunately the connector cable is way too short for me. I'm going to need some kind of extension cord if I get this when it comes out. I don't know of any adapters (yet).

If you can stomach the $900 price tag and figure out a way to connect it, this will be an excellent monitor for all purposes. I sort of wish Apple had it available in matte, but their old Cinema Displays have such a thick application of antiglare coating it's distracting, and I'd rather have glossy if that were the only matte option.

I wish I could hook up the new LED Cinema Display to my "old" Macbook Pro with DVI. Apple would have another $900 this second if they didn't make this absurd decision to include only a Mini DisplayPort connection on the display.

I wish I could hook up the new LED Cinema Display to my "old" Macbook Pro with DVI. Apple would have another $900 this second if they didn't make this absurd decision to include only a Mini DisplayPort connection on the display.

Apple isn't trying appeal to old Macbook Pro users they are trying to appeal to new Macbook Pro users, this is pretty much the reason I avoid there more expensive products , they pretty much "forget" anything thats a year older when it comes to extensions.

wait so i cant hook this up to my PC with an 8800 GT?? fucking apple... i wanted a 24" good quality monitor with none of that wide gamut stuff and they gimp it?

No need to go balistic just yet.

Lets wait and see what Apple can come out with as far as adapters. They are still having trouble getting some of the already announced adapters out (mini-DP => dual DVI for 30" screens come to mind).

I do think we will see some DP => Mini-DP adapters coming out relatively soon. I ALSO think we are going to see some DVI => DP/Mini-DP coming out, however, I believe these are going to need to be active converters (not just an simply adapter) as from what I understand, the DVI signal can be carried through DP/Mini-DP but not the other way around.

On another note, there is one of those infamous SJ one liners going around that states there WILL be adapters for older systems.

wait so i cant hook this up to my PC with an 8800 GT?? fucking apple... i wanted a 24" good quality monitor with none of that wide gamut stuff and they gimp it?

Just out of curiousity, why not just pickup a 24" Samsung from Costco or something?

If you don't need the wide gamut stuff, then what reason is there to get an ACD? Apple/NEC/Eizo/etc put out some really fantastic monitors, but the business/professional models really aren't designed for gaming and the likes. The wide-gamut stuff is why they are so expensive...

LED backlit 24" IPS display for $899? That's why.
That doesn't really explain it. He doesn't want the wide gamut that an IPS display would most likely display implying he probably doesn't want it for graphic/design stuff. an IPS display will only have more lag on it so is not really a good solution if you are wanting it for games - and from what I understand, movies on an IPS kind of suck as well.

Perhaps if he just wants a solution with a built in mag-safe adapter, then its a good idea?

We have yet to hear what he actually wants to use it for.

That doesn't really explain it. He doesn't want the wide gamut that an IPS display would most likely display implying he probably doesn't want it for graphic/design stuff. an IPS display will only have more lag on it so is not really a good solution if you are wanting it for games - and from what I understand, movies on an IPS kind of suck as well.

Perhaps if he just wants a solution with a built in mag-safe adapter, then its a good idea?

We have yet to hear what he actually wants to use it for.

IPS have less lag on average than PVA, movies do not suck on IPS either, you are way off.

The reason the original poster was complaining, is because the 23" ACD was standard gamut, thus their thinking the 24" may be the same (doubtful though), and if it were PC compatable it would be a rediculous value over most everything on the market.

They look like nice displays. Its hard to find a 24" that's both IPSy and non grainy. Apple usually has kinks to work out in its first generations though so I'll wait until summer is ending at it's earliest.

hey guys

was lucky enough to get one of these amazing monitors on Friday morning, turns out the Apple Store here in Vancouver only got one so, I lucked out! heh, anyway, here are a few pics, used it extensively it over the weekend and was very very impressed. somewhat costly at over $1000CDN after taxes but, I am very happy with it, it compliments the new Macbook Pro's very nicely

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00056-1.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

I also found the speakers to be ok for like youtube or other light listening but, decided to amp things up a little with a pair of Logitech Z Cinema speakers. What is great about these is I leave them plugged in via USB into the new display so when my Macbook Pro docks into it, the audio is already there, really nice partnership, speakers sound great.

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

Could you measure the exact length of the video connector cable? I was able to only get a rough estimate, as the display in the Apple Store had its cables taped to the shelf. 48 inches / 122 cm was my estimate.

hey bud, i am getting just under 44 inches... i am starting the measurement from the base of the connector going into the back of the LED display, and then stopping the measurement just past the magsafe head. hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else

Apple usually has kinks to work out in its first generations though so I'll wait until summer is ending at it's earliest.

True but that can be said about any company. The IPS panel itself isn't crazy new, so as long as the LED backlight works well with it there shouldn't be problems. There's also less stuff to go wrong with DisplayPort. Of course there is the iSight and speakers/mic but Apple has been building that stuff into screens for years.

was lucky enough to get one of these amazing monitors on Friday morning, turns out the Apple Store here in Vancouver only got one so, I lucked out! heh, anyway, here are a few pics, used it extensively it over the weekend and was very very impressed. somewhat costly at over $1000CDN after taxes but, I am very happy with it, it compliments the new Macbook Pro's very nicely

Nice pics! Any idea if this is a wide-gamut panel or not?

i am embarrassed to admit i am not completely familiar with that term

does this forum have Private Msg? if so, please feel free to msg me how to check and i will be pleased to do so, i am typing on it right now

Just saw AppleInsider has put up an interesting unboxing article.

Also: there's no power brick. Or buttons, for that matter. The new model uses both the LED backlight and DisplayPort connector to its advantage to rid the screen of the external block and of the need to turn the display on or off. Leaving with your MacBook? Unplug the display and it powers down gracefully.

I can definitely see some peeps here bitching about this. :) I wonder how the screen acts when connected to a PC with DP though.

Image quality will need further testing but is definitely better than many low-cost displays with vivid colors and good viewing angles. It's not, however, the exact same display from the iMac: the new model definitely has a different white point.

Well, duh. The iMac used CCFL backlights, this display uses LEDs. Both have very different color temperatures. Doesn't mean its a different panel, although it could.

Glossy 24" IPS :cool: I would upgrade to this without question but Apple flubbed it by (officially) tying it in to their newest laptops. I wonder if they realize how many more monitor sales they'd get from PC people who won't go Mac otherwise but are looking for the combination in my opening phrase that's not available in any other monitor.

and from what I understand, movies on an IPS kind of suck as well.

Where did you hear that from????? Movies on the NEC 2490 look absolutely fantastic. Not to mention I can watch from my bed or from anwhere in my room (aka off angle) and the image looks great. This also means that more than one person can watch at a time.

I would trade small drop in contrast to avoid the colorshifting/black crush ect of tn/pva..

I have yet to see ghosting on my screen as well and I both game and watch movies.:)

On topic... As a mac user I have to say that Apple is kind of like a retarted savant:eek:.....They make some really amazing stuff...but are often completely out of touch.....Making this monitor mini-dp and not having an adapter at launch removes like 85% of the potential customer base.....

hey guys

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00056-1.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

I also found the speakers to be ok for like youtube or other light listening but, decided to amp things up a little with a pair of Logitech Z Cinema speakers. What is great about these is I leave them plugged in via USB into the new display so when my Macbook Pro docks into it, the audio is already there, really nice partnership, speakers sound great.

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00072.jpg
Beautiful set-up! Makes me want to switch over to Mac!

Beautiful set-up! Makes me want to switch over to Mac!
thank you so much!

i am going on Friday to pick up another white desk for my 24" iMac... then will put the two desks in an L type shape so i can curve all three screens around my sitting position

macs are definitely beautiful and powerful computers, i love them... i have been watching normal SD DVD's lately on the new LED display and my oh my, they sure do look pretty... also watching some 1080p movies i have on my external harddrive and the quality is just insane, like looking through a window

Where did you hear that from????? Movies on the NEC 2490 look absolutely fantastic. Not to mention I can watch from my bed or from anwhere in my room (aka off angle) and the image looks great. This also means that more than one person can watch at a time.

I would trade small drop in contrast to avoid the colorshifting/black crush ect of tn/pva..

I have yet to see ghosting on my screen as well and I both game and watch movies.:)

On topic... As a mac user I have to say that Apple is kind of like a retarted savant:eek:.....They make some really amazing stuff...but are often completely out of touch.....Making this monitor mini-dp and not having an adapter at launch removes like 85% of the potential customer base.....

I would have a hard time recommending PVA for off angle viewing, however, head on anyway, S-PVA panels have ploughed ahead with contrast improvements and the difference among the best of these vs. IPS is not small in this regard...

I would have a hard time recommending PVA for off angle viewing, however, head on anyway, S-PVA panels have ploughed ahead with contrast improvements and the difference among the best of these vs. IPS is not small in this regard...

Depends on the individual. With S-PVA I found that even when sitting perfectly centered straight on, the sides were stil off axis. The off axis is different to each eye and gives a cross-eyed feeling. Can't use them at all.

Then if you move at all you get the contrast and detail pumping up and down like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gVDMG7AMg

But If this doen't bother you, go with PVA and save a lot of money. I can't stand them. I'll repeat for those who want to claim they have no issue: Depends on the individual.

Found this quote at AppleInsider

Comments about High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's LED Cinema Display

Image quality will need further testing but is definitely better than many low-cost displays with vivid colors and good viewing angles. It's not, however, the exact same display from the iMac: the all-in-one lays out its pixels directly adjacent to each other, while the Cinema Display appears to use a staggered, more diagonal pattern that you can notice when very close.

Apparently the new 24" LED Backlight Cinema Display is NOT using the same H-IPS panel as the 24" iMac.

We must still wait for confirmation as to the panel type being used since no one has provided any definitive proof yet.

i am not technically well versed enough to make a formalized opinion on the screen types but... i have had this new LED display next to my 24" iMac for almost a week now and for all intensive purposes, the LED display is just as good if not slightly better

i don't know whether the panels are the same but from a user's perspective, the LED display is just as good if not slightly better... i have done side by side comparisons for high res photos, video etc and the LED performs just as well... viewing angle, color vibrancy, contrast etc. are all visibly the same, just my two cents

Depends on the individual. With S-PVA I found that even when sitting perfectly centered straight on, the sides were stil off axis. The off axis is different to each eye and gives a cross-eyed feeling. Can't use them at all.

Then if you move at all you get the contrast and detail pumping up and down like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gVDMG7AMg

But If this doen't bother you, go with PVA and save a lot of money. I can't stand them. I'll repeat for those who want to claim they have no issue: Depends on the individual.

I'm looking at a 40" S-PVA right now and I can see that the sides are a little lighter even looking straight on. If your brain interprets these variations stereographically then PVA would be a terrible choice for you. No argument here. :)

However, with instruments, even some of the S-PVA computer monitors are reading contrast of more than 1400 to 1 now. As I said above, and really all I said above, the contrast difference is not small.

With LCD, you have to choose your poison. (That's why I used my GDM-F520 CRT until the time I spent combating reliability issues finally drove me away. And I'm still waiting for a technology worthy to succeed CRT. Maybe IPS selectively lit with LEDs would be a candidate...)

Anyone got calibration results of these using BlueEyePro ?

Interested in seeing the Test results through that as my Hazro HZ24Wi has settled in and calibration results are consistent to white @ 128cd/m2, black @ 0.41cd/m2 and 0% deviation from 2.2gamma and D65 (dE 0.6).

The LED screens should get better Blackpoint and average delta-E ?

Back