App brand-naming poll

What do you think of "silly-style" App (and brand) names? (like Yelp, Joomla, Hulu..)

• I usually like these. They're fun, fresh, and free.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I'm the the middle on this.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I HATE most (or all) of these. They drain the battery of my cringe-o-matic.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
The site's functionality and features are what matter to me. As long as the name is short enough to remember and type, and easy to pronounce, it's fine. "Google" is a made-up word, too, you know. These names are here to stay, since the domain registration system has let squatters ... well, squat.

The way I look at it, it's no different than commercials on TV. The strangest and worst jingles are usually the ones that stick in peoples heads - thereby getting the product placed right where they want it.

I don't know where you live, but here in America, the TV ads are already as strange as possible. One long running ad features a bear that pops out of the dryer to discuss how soft your clothes could be. Another features talking toilet cleaner bubbles, which have face-bubbles on the top, but bristles on the bottom. Their job is to scrub, and go down the toilet drain. That seems sad and nihilistic, but somewhere a bunch of advertising writers are very happy with it. There are other ads which tell me that a product is just good, and I should take their word for it; I don't need to confuse myself with all that "science and stuff". You know: I should completely discard any reasoning about why the product might or might not be good.

There are newer ads which are even stranger. One has a little cartoon bear starting his day with his mom. The mother bear -- normally, a notiriously prodctive and vicious anamial -- using a pencil and paper to check the hygiene of the baby bear. Teeth? Check. Ears? Check. Bum? No! The baby bear has bits of toilet paper around his bum, and everyone -- bears and you alike -- should use a better brand of paper that doesn't shred.

The inappropriate anthropomorphism and inane comparisons are entirely vacuous. I don't understand how these campaigns get green-lighted, and can't believe the millions spent in their production and distribution.

Back