Apogee gt on socket 1155

tpfaff

2[H]4U
So my old GT is a 775 and obvisouly wont fit on my new 1155 socket. Swiftech has conversion kits but they don't have one for the gt to make it 1155 compatible (only 1366). I've read a few times that the conversion kit for the gtx/gtz does work though. http://www.swiftech.com/GTZ-UHD-1156-BP.aspx Has anyone used this with a gt? If it comes down to it, is there any reason to get a new waterblock these days? Or are they generally the same as they were a few years ago?

Waterblocks have gotten better over the years, I would upgrade if I were you. Something like the XSPC Rasa if you're on a budget.

What kind of difference in temps would I see? Even if its a good improvement I'm not sure I can justify it as my GT isn't really doing me any harm

According to this, the difference between the GTZ (which is newer than the GT) and the XSPC Rasa is about 4 degrees. The difference between the GT and the Rasa is likely to be higher.

I've got an original apogee, and while its served me well, i'm probably going to retire it when I upgrade my core components late this year or early next year.

Unless bulldozer is sweet and I can get an AM3 plate for it. Then I might extend its life since it would save me some dough and IMO the block will be more than sufficient to keep the cpu cool enough. I don't see getting an extra 100mhz of OC with a new block if i'm well below the thermal threshold on the cpu with the old apogee.

Exactly what I was thinking, a new block is just so expensive. I guess I'll just order the mounting hardware and see if it works since no one seems to know!

Apogee GT fits with AM2, which fits with AM2+ which fits with AM3 which fits with AM3+. So you shouldn't have any problems using it with bulldozer.

I have an apogee gt on my 1156 socket i7 860, temps are ok at 4.0 ghz. The board has 775 mounting holes so I didn't have any issues with the block.

The first half of your post made me go :eek: and the second half made me go :(

Back