• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Apogee decent block for quads?

rincewind

Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
888
Title says it all really. I'm finally in a position to assemble my loop, but am really seriously considering upgrading my processor to A G0 Q6600 before I do so. I'm just wondering if my Apogee will provide good cooling on a Quad. I'd ideally like to take it to the magic 3.6GHz, but I know all chips aren't equal and will be happy as long as it can chug along at the 3.2 my E6400 runs at very comfortably. Dissipating the heat shouldn't be an issue - I've prepped the rig with a triple rad using push/pull fans and a single with one fan in pull, all drawing air from outside the case. Only other thing in the loop will be my 4870 (overlocked as far as I can get it of course).I'm looking at £45 for a new block (Apogee GTZ or Fuzion V2), so it'd be nice if I can do without.
 
I've got one of the original apogee's on a X3350 which is a Q9450 and it does just fine. I've also got my 8800GT in the loop and the swifty dual rad keeps them both cool and fairly quiet.
 
I had an apogee GT on my Q6600, Q9400 and now my X3330 and it does very well.
 
The GT is okay, but not the best for quads. I have just changed from GT to GTZ and my temps dropped by 5-7 degree under full load using Prime95 or Intel Linpack.

But have to say that you really need to install the GTZ horizontally! Tried it first vertical w/o removing mobo tray due to the watercooling loop and one of the screw got stuck half-way in several times.

Just to share my experience, from there onwards everything went haywire. My PC would not boot giving "USB over current error" and had to remove everything again to wipe clean. To my dismay found small metal bits from the screw thread lying on the NB cooler and GPU backplane, so cleaned everything with a brush and blown it. After re-installation, everything was fine again. I was so relieved that my PC worked again!

So after a better part of the day spend just changing the water block it was worth it.
 
hafiqb,

The Apogee drive is self contained with pump on the block.

OP, the Apogee drives my Q6600(G0) at 4.05 quite nicely.
 
The GT is okay, but not the best for quads. I have just changed from GT to GTZ and my temps dropped by 5-7 degree under full load using Prime95 or Intel Linpack.

But have to say that you really need to install the GTZ horizontally! Tried it first vertical w/o removing mobo tray due to the watercooling loop and one of the screw got stuck half-way in several times.

Just to share my experience, from there onwards everything went haywire. My PC would not boot giving "USB over current error" and had to remove everything again to wipe clean. To my dismay found small metal bits from the screw thread lying on the NB cooler and GPU backplane, so cleaned everything with a brush and blown it. After re-installation, everything was fine again. I was so relieved that my PC worked again!

So after a better part of the day spend just changing the water block it was worth it.

Considering the price of the GTZ at $60 plus shipping and the Apogee GT (used) at $25 or less, I'd prefer an Apogee GT any day. To me that extra $40 isn't worth the maybe 5C in temp drop.
 
Had it running p95 overnight, 9x366 stable at 1.325v ('stock', as I got a high VID chip), but the temps aren't particularly good. Idles at 33/33/31/34 and loads at 48/48/45/47. Am I expecting too much - the delta is fine, but the idle temps seem a bit on the high side (ambient is 19c).
On a positive note, the 4870 idles at 31c and furmark only pushes it to 33c (vrm's go from 56c to 74c, not bad considering I haven't even hooked up a fan to blow air at the card yet)
 
Currently 30 minutes into p95 @ 9x400 1.45v - temps are now 59/59/56/56. The 3rd core is the weak link - cores 1 and 2 could run it for an hour (didn't crash, I stopped it) at just 1.375v, and core 4 needed 1.4v.

Dang it, as I was typing this the 3rd core failed again. Bastard, I'll try giving it 1.475v but I think 9x333 will be my 24/7 overclock (8x400 works fine too, so it's not a FSB problem)
 
Yes the GTZ is a bit pricey... I got the GT when buying the Apex water-cooling kit when I started water-cooling. After a while as always I itched to upgrade and got the GTZ with some more parts on the way to include also my GPU in the loop.

I pay all my bills 1st week of the month, have reasonable insurance & investment going, so what's left over goes to a very large degree to the wife & kids and the rest...you know already where that goes.
 
I have the GTX Apogee on a Quad 6600.
The loop goes to a dual 120 radiator.
My idle temps are in the mid 20C and loads rarely see 40C.

I have a Gigabyte X48 MB with the Quad at 3.3 GHz, 8 x 415.

It can run all day and never break a sweat.

You might want to look at the GTX Copper face, it looks nice and might be cheaper than the GTZ.

GTX:http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21389

GTZ:http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24230

My only gripe with my GTX was mounting it. That backplate with the sticky foam just didn't cut it. I went back to the old bolt/spring/acorn nut application. I don't guess you can do that with the GTZ though.
 
Finally 24h Prime Stable at 8x437 1.4v:
IDLE = 31/31/28/32
LOAD = 49/49/46/47

If I go to 1.475v the computer reboots after 10 minutes or so of prime (does not report a single failure beforehand). Hottest cores reach 59c after a couple of minutes and don't climb any higher, so doesn't appear to be a thermal issue. Every voltage setting I've tried above 1.45 causes this behaviour too :confused:

Oh well, I'm happy with 3.5GHz. Temps are mediocre at best, but they are at least safe. I can drop them 2c by turning my fans up to 12v, but that's a substantial noise increase for such a trivial gain - rad exhaust air is quite cool even with fans on low.
 
Back
Top