Apevia X-QPACKII Opinions

How's the handle on the Apevia X-QPACKII? http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=218 I read that the older models of the XQPack had flimsy handles, especially when the case was loaded with components.

Is the new version says it is steel, but is it sturdy enough to use on a daily basis? I'm considering going SFF (again), but only becaase I need to haul my PC between my home and office on a regular basis.

If not, I was thinking either an SG01-E or SG03 and install these handles: http://www.mnpctech.com/MnpctechBillethandle.html

I just built a new HTPC with one, and I don't trust the handle. It may hold it, but why risk it? Other than that, PSU is iffy, but otherwise it handles larger items than your standard SFF, and looks good.

the handle on the Qpack 2 is actually pretty good. It is spring loaded and I did everything I could to break it and couldn't.

The inside is still sharp like the first Qpack. The Micro Fly was a little better about this but both are still fairly raw.

My only problem with these cases is the quality of the sheet metal, not the handles. The handles feel cheap and flimsy because they are made to bend under pressure, but this also makes them pretty strong. The handle and mount is made to convert some of the shear forces to tension, essentially trying to pull the ends off instead of snap them. I have a micro fly and just for giggles I decided to see if I could rip the handle off so I sat it on my bench and pulled the handle outward and down HARD. I stopped pulling when it looked like I was going to rip the front right off the box. The handle was no worse for wear.

Many have complained about this but I've never heard in a forum from anyone claiming their handle broke. My bet is you'll tear up the sheet metal before the handle breaks; the aluminum they use for these things is really, really soft. My first case came from the supplier with the central support beam already warped.

I really like the looks of the micro fly, that's why I bought it, It's too bad they don't use better quality metal for these things, they could be primo cases.

Back