Aperture size affecting 3dMark03 why...

yroc

Limp Gawd
I noticed that by reducing the aperture size in the bios that 3dmark03 increases by 200 points? is this because it makes more of the textures go to the agp bus instead of ram or some other crazy vodoo magic. or is it because part of the mark calculation takes the aperture size into account?

thanks,
yroc

sorry i went outta town...

I have a MSI 9800 Pro 128MB 256-bit
512 DDR 3200 x 1 Stick
Athlon 2500+ @ 3200

when i set the aperture from 128 to 32 i noticed an increase of 100 or more points

thanks,
Yroc

Moloch said:
100 points is like 1fps

WOW! glad that answered my question... wait no it didn't... all im curious about is why it affected the results not what it translates to. Give it another try you'll learn to read some day ;)

Maybe because an agp size of 128 will reserve 128 MB of the 512MB system ram for video transfers.

So 512 - 128 = 384. So you have 384 MB to run the OS and the app.

When you set the aperture to 32, 512 - 32 = 480. So since there is more memory available for the application it runs faster.

Figure that the OS takes up about 300MB of ram to run. On my machine it uses 330MB out of my 1024MB. If it is 330MB for you that leaves you about 54MB for the app. With a agp size of 32 you get an extra 96MB to use. That may be the difference between disc thrashing / swapping or not. If it doesn't thrash the mem is used for the app. only, so you should see higher fps rates and a higher 3DMark score.

So if you want to make your games play better get another 512Mb of ram. If you can put 3 sticks of 512MB that would be the best as WXP basically is maxed out at 1.5G of ram (you would actually need about 1.5G + 128MB for a 128MB video card). When the 512MB video cards come out it would typically necessitate everyone having 2G of system ram.

control-alt-del -> taskmanager -> performance (total - available) = mem size used.
now try it when the app. is running. mem usage should go up. That is how much ram 3DMark actually uses.

yroc said:
WOW! glad that answered my question... wait no it didn't... all im curious about is why it affected the results not what it translates to. Give it another try you'll learn to read some day ;)
It's within margin of error you dolt :p

Back