APC UPS'es - Larger battery mod

scoob8000

2[H]4U
I've been playing around with a pair of 40ah AGM batteries to extend ups runtime. I've played with a BR1000G but cannot get it to calibrate the higher runtime. It'll run my test load for around 3 hours with the runtime remaining showing 1 minute. Which is fine, but keeps me from using any software to shut down my network.

Someone mentioned the SMT (More commercial series) could handle the longer runtime calibration. Wanted to see if anyone here had actual experience.

APC brand I'm pretty much set on, and strongly prefer one with a LCD on the front.

If the only issue is being able to use software to shut down your network, then you could potentially daisy-chain a smaller UPS. The bigger UPS would supply the bulk of the battery life. When the battery in that finally dies, it would switch over to the smaller daisy-chained UPS, which could then trigger your software. The 2nd UPS could be a very small, cheap unit, since it would really only need to work for a few minutes. The only problem would be that some UPS's don't like being daisy-chained, in that the daisy-chained UPS may see the output from the UPS that it is plugged into as "bad power" and automatically switch to battery at the same time the first one does. But this really depends on the model and how picky it is.

That's an outside the box idea. I've actually played around with a UPS behind a UPS just to see what would happen in the past. Most cases, they're not happy with the power feeding it. :/

Mihgt be worth noting I'm using my qnap NAS connected to the UPS to notify my other network devices via NUT. I have the NAS set to power down after xx minutes, and it'll stay running to that time frame with room to spare. But once the UPS reaches 0 (even though it'll run another hour), NUT sends out low battery and everything shuts down..

Any maybe I shouldn't worry about it. The NAS safely powering down is probably the most important. Secondly is the Win10 box running my cameras, and lastly my router (pfsense). As rarely as an extended power outage is, the ungraceful shutdown of a win10 machine and freebsd based system might not be a big deal.

What about SMX series? They are designed to work with external battery packs.

That's an outside the box idea. I've actually played around with a UPS behind a UPS just to see what would happen in the past. Most cases, they're not happy with the power feeding it. :/

Mihgt be worth noting I'm using my qnap NAS connected to the UPS to notify my other network devices via NUT. I have the NAS set to power down after xx minutes, and it'll stay running to that time frame with room to spare. But once the UPS reaches 0 (even though it'll run another hour), NUT sends out low battery and everything shuts down..

Any maybe I shouldn't worry about it. The NAS safely powering down is probably the most important. Secondly is the Win10 box running my cameras, and lastly my router (pfsense). As rarely as an extended power outage is, the ungraceful shutdown of a win10 machine and freebsd based system might not be a big deal.
I asked someone years ago about daisy chaining UPS's, might have asked APC, and I recall them saying that the Smart-UPS line would work daisy chained.

Back