APC suggestions?

HICKFARM

Gawd
So I am shopping for APC's and realized how expensive they are.

I want this mostly just to power my server and maybe get one for my gaming PC as well. But it is more to keep the power from flickering during a lighning storm or ice storm then to keep it powered for any extended amount of time.

My server is only a single socket Xeon with 12 hard drives, so was thinking i should get a 1000 watt minimum.

So I was looking on craigslist and found a SMT 2200 for 100$ each. I don't know how old they are, but supposedly the batteries are still operational. I researched the batteries in the units and I could pick up a new set for under 200$.

So should I go down this route or is there any good alternatives? Like I said these are a bit overkill for what I need.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Single slot Xeon with 12 hard drives doesn't use anything close to 1000w.

Well i am sizing it for my gaming rig as well that has a 980TI and an Intel 2600K in it. Then I would only have to worry about buying one size of batteries. Have also heard you wanna size the battery roughly 40% bigger then the load as well.

Well i am sizing it for my gaming rig as well that has a 980TI and an Intel 2600K in it. Then I would only have to worry about buying one size of batteries. Have also heard you wanna size the battery roughly 40% bigger then the load as well.

Do you want one UPS for both PCs? I'd think it would be cleaner with one UPS per PC and then just use the auto shutdown feature so the UPS backups can shutdown the PC if the power goes out. Maybe the bigger UPS devices can shut down multiple PCs, I haven't used them :)

Do you want one UPS for both PCs? I'd think it would be cleaner with one UPS per PC and then just use the auto shutdown feature so the UPS backups can shutdown the PC if the power goes out. Maybe the bigger UPS devices can shut down multiple PCs, I haven't used them :)
With some work just about any APC ups can shut down multiple machines, it just needs something like apcupsd or network ups tools. (to be fair, the latter can do more than just APC and has the same functionality)

Planning on having one per PC. I may use the auto shutdown feature on my server. But the main reason I want a UPS is for when the power flickers. It never really stays out for an extended period, just flickers during storms.

Back