APC Smart-UPS 3000VARM3U 30A to 15A Adapter?

MadHatter

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

Picked one of these monstrous things up at a surplus sale today for $100 :)

BzwQF.jpg

APC Smart-UPS 3000VA RM3U

...Couldn't really beat that price, and with some of the storms in my area lately I wanted a solution to keep my network running vs. depending on the those cheap "office ups's".

Anyways, hauled the thing up to my apartment and thought I could plug it into one of my 30amp outlets. However it looks like they have different NEMA plugs than what the UPS has (NEMA L5-30P). So, how do I get juice to this thing?

I thought of 2 options, let me know what you all think/if it's possible:

1. See if I can find an adapter from the 30amp to 15amp, and just make sure I don't have over 15amps of load connected to it at any time.. but I don't even know if it's possible to adapt that way, or if it's a fire risk since the device still could pass 15amp (perhaps when charging the batteries).

2. The "safer" option - An adapter to the different NEMA plug type.. but I'm not sure if that's possible either.. plus I'd have to get a splitter or something because I have a 40amp line to my washer/dryer and also a 30amp line to my oven.. nothing else that I can see.

I'd hate to have this thing just take up space.. any help greatly appreciated!

The adapter won't last. It will melt down. Trust me, I saw this done in a server room once and the results weren't pretty. Fortunately the adapter melted down and was completely destroyed severing the electrical connection and the fire it started never spread beyond itself. You don't want to adapt the plug either. If you have something that requires a 30amp circuit you need to get a 30amp circuit added to your home or office's electrical panel. You don't want to split off another one dedicated to something like your dryer or oven. You want another 30 amp circuit. Simple as that. I'd speak with an electrician if I were you. It may not be as costly to add as you might think.

Thanks for the input! Kind of figured that might be the case :-( Didn't want it to have to come to that, but I'll give them a call!

Stayonline makes an adapter. I would not recommend using it though.

I decided to just do things right and install a dedicated 30amp circuit for the UPS (and luckily my apartment property manager approved it!) I'm going to just have the receptacle installed right under the panel (about 5 ft away from my server rack). Still waiting for some electrician estimates for the job - the only one I've gotten thus far estimated $100-150.. seemed a little high for one breaker and receptacle install (keeping in mind the run will be a whole 2 feet under the panel.)

I'm not even using 15 amps of load on my server rack right now, but I figured it'd be best to play things safe. Hopefully this thing isn't *too* incredibly loud or adds too much to power usage.

Nope sounds about right to have a licensed electrician do it.

You may not be using more than 15A, but keep in mind that the rectifiers might when it comes time to charge the batteries.

You may not be using more than 15A, but keep in mind that the rectifiers might when it comes time to charge the batteries.

Definitely, which is why I was wary about placing it on the same 30 amp circuit with any other device. That's a lot of power.. I don't think it'd be wise for me to cheap out wiring arrangements.

Found something interesting when reading about this UPS further... Turns out you can buy replacement backplates to adapt to the input type you need. Here is a 15A input backplate.. However, since installing it would be downgrading to 15A max for the UPS, it limits the provided capacity of the UPS to 1500VA. I think I'll probably continue with the electrician route because with the replacement being $90, it comes close to the price for the electrician to install the circuit + receptacle. This would make it a lot more versatile when I move though so I don't have to go through the same ordeal again at the next place I live. Guess I'll take the gamble for the extra power potential.

Back