APC BackUPS RS 1500VA issue = 'replace battery' alert

eva2000

Gawd
Was wondering if anyone has read about this issue or experienced it.

In 2003 I bought an APC BackUPS RS 1500VA/865W UPS to protect my computer's uptime. This UPS still runs flawlessly today and running self test diagnostics it passes fine.

Now fast forward to mid May 2006.
I decided to buy a 2nd APC BackUPS RS 1500VA/865W UPS. Unfortunately, the this UPS was DOA. No probs APC has great warranty and support from my experience.

So proceed to rma. I get advance rma replacement of the UPS. Charge the UPS like i have always done overnight for at least 8-16+ hrs with no equipment connected to it.

The problem
Now problem with rma replacement unit, when i connected my pc to it it ran fine, but when i tried to run APC Powerchute software's self test diagnostics, it failed with beeping alert saying 'replace battery' LED lit. So okay told APC support and the sent me a prepaid con note to ship back this faulty rma replacement and advance shipped me a 2nd rma replacement.

Guess what, it seems this 2nd rma replacement the same problem still occurs ??? When my computer is connected to UPS, self test diagnostic will beep with 'replace battery' LED lit as well.

This 'replace battery' condition occurs
  1. when APC Powerchute v1.50 is installed + USB data cable from original purchased RS 1500VA UPS is plugged in
  2. when APC Powerchute v2.00 is installed + USB data cable from original purchased RS 1500VA UPS is plugged in
  3. when APC Powerchute is uninstalled + USB data cable from original purchased RS 1500VA UPS is plugged in
  4. when both APC Powerchute is uninstalled + USB data cable is unplugged
As long as i have a computer connected to it, the 'replace battery condition' occurs, if i have no computer connected to UPS, it doesn't happen when i initiate a self-test diganostic via the on the switch.

This time when i installed APC Powerchute v1.50 or v2.00 i get a windows error message about error loading a dll. I get the exact same error message if i try to stop and then restart the APC service manually. I attached screen shots of the errors and latest APC replacement ups troubleshooting file. But the 'replace battery condition still occurs when Powerchute is uninstalled ?

error2.png

restartAPCservice_error.png

Like my 1st rma replacement, when APC powerchute is running it reports my system power usage as 121W which i know from connecting my computer to my other APC UPS which i bought in 2003, that this power usage is under reported by at least 50-60%.

I tried APC support's recommendations of:
Switch OFF the mains power supply,
Turn the UPS OFF from the front panel,
Disconnect the equipments from the UPS.
Charge the batteries in the UPS overnight, this can be done by switching ON the mains with UPS connected to the wall. Do not turn the UPS ON from the front panel.
But it didn't help :(

I've now tried both rma replacement APC BackUPS RS 1500VA on 2 different computers and from every power outlet in the house and both rma replacement units result in same 'replace battery' issue only if the computer is connected ?

As i said, i also have another APC BackUPS RS 1500VA bought in 2003 which doesn't have any problems with any of the computers attached to it and passes self diagnostics fine.

Tech data:
My working 2003 purchased APC BackUPS RS 1500VA

Model: Back-UPS RS 1500
Serial number: JB03190698**
Firmware revision: 8.g6 .I
USB firmware revision: g6
Last self-test date: 19/05/2006
Last battery replacement: 10/05/2003
CPU: Intel Pentium
Amount of RAM: 1,024 MB
Free disk space: 4,093 MB
Software version: PowerChute Personal Edition 1.5
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP (5.1.2600)

My rma replacement #1
Serial number: JB03440003**
Firmware revision: 8.g8 .I
USB firmware revision: g8
Last self-test date: 19/05/2006
Last battery replacement: 27/10/2003
Amount of RAM: 1,023 MB
Free disk space: 3,923 MB
Software version: PowerChute Personal Edition 1.5

My rma replacement #2 data taken before the self test diganostics was run
Serial number: JB04180050**
Firmware revision: 8.g8 .I
USB firmware revision: g8
Result of last manual self-test: Not Recorded
Last manual self-test date: Not Recorded
Last battery replacement: 27/04/2004
RAM: 1,023 MB
Free disk space: 28,548 MB
Software version: PowerChute Personal Edition 2.0

I really don't know what to think ??? Would anything in windows trigger such an issue ?

Any ideas guys ?

thanks

George

That looks like a problem with the service. Try uninstalling, making sure the service is gone, and reinstalling the APC software and see if that helps.

Back